Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son was mowing with the husky 23 horse briggs when it sputtered and quit. No harse metal on metal sounds, just quit. Upon investigation the right piston is not moving. It was all the way tdc but will move back by hand but only come up an inch or so when you spin the crank by hand. Any small chance the rod has simply come off the crank? Cam broke of rod broke maybe? I know there's only one way to find out, get in there and look. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Anything is possible I guess, but I have never seen a rod just come off.

Even if it was loose, they usually break before they come off. The damage may not be extensive, you may just need to clean up the journal and install a new rod. You will have to tear down the engine to determine the amount of damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
broken push rod at the crank but doesn't appear to have buggered up anything internally. I took the block to a small engine shop to have the crank cleaned up good and will see if it's repairable, probably be best to put 2 new rods in along with a ring job?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
broken push rod at the crank but doesn't appear to have buggered up anything internally. I took the block to a small engine shop to have the crank cleaned up good and will see if it's repairable, probably be best to put 2 new rods in along with a ring job?

That's what I would probably do. Take a good look at the camshaft and make sure it's alright also.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not sure what came first,but I had a tri-plex at the golf course quit. I took the 16 horse Vanguard apart,and among other things,found the camshaft snapped in half. I don't know whether IT let go and took the connecting rod and part of the cylinder wall with it,or the other way round. I suspect the cam broke first. Regardless,it's block time. :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts