Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have the above mentioned engine a 16 horse Briggs Twin power engine in a lawn tractor from 1993. Stalled wow mowing the grass, cranks over but no spark.. The red wire to the ignition unit has power. Is there a way to test the ignition unit? Or do I just assume it is bad and throw parts at it...
Next question, how do I get the flywheel off to replace the unit... My old steering wheel puller does not seen to be up to the job.

Thank for any help that can be given with this...

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
A 1993 model engine should have a solid state ignition module.

Disconnect the kill switch lead from the module to isolate from the tractor and test for spark, if none, the it's likely the module is bad. If you now have spark, then there is a problem with the tractor wiring or safety switches.

If you sill have no spark and to be sure it's the module, remove the module, clean the contact points between the coil lamination's and the mounting posts to ensure a good ground, set the air gap between the lamination's and the magnets to around .010" clearance and retest for spark.

If still no spark, then it's time to replace the module.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much...

That sounds like the answer I need.
First I will clean where the coil mounts as you suggested.
And I do have brass feeler gauges for setting the airgap...

But how do I get the flywheel off? The nut is no problem... My air powered impact gun takes it right off...

Thanks again..

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
But how do I get the flywheel off?
You don't need to take the flywheel off, there is nothing underneath that will affect spark generation. If you just want to take it off, there is a special puller for it, you can also use a harmonic balance or steering wheel type puller. Unless you need to replace the seal or service the alternator, I would just leave it alone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts