Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I NEVER post other people's stuff with out permission, but I was so moved by this gentleman that I cannot resist.

Last night at my local IPMS meeting, an elderly veteran (don't know his name) built this stupendous DC-2 or 3 Super Mainliner completely from scratch. It included his own carved wood for vacuforming, scratch styrene, casted resin, and lord knows what else. He was passionate about this build and had worked on it for years. The model was huge, and virtually perfect down to the smallest detail.

He said he took a ride on one when he was 10 years old and has waited his whole life for an accurate, nicely scaled kit. Well, he could not wait any longer. He included all documentation and even had schematics to reference from.

Here are three pics from my crappy cell phone camera:

Check out the documentation:

This guy was such an inspiration with his passion for the hobby and love of this plane!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's impossible to see in those photos, but the plane skin surface was broken up in such a way that the panels were different sheens and shades. If photographed in the correct light and setting, you could not tell it from a real full-sized plane.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It's the rarest of the rare. That's the one-of-a-kind DC-4E.

Only one was built. Douglas, of course, would later produce a DC-4 in massive numbers but it was an entirely different plane than the DC-4E.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the rarest of the rare. That's the one-of-a-kind DC-4E.

Only one was built. Douglas, of course, would later produce a DC-4 in massive numbers but it was an entirely different plane than the DC-4E.
Thanks for the clarification! That is an awesome history. I wonder if he flew that specific one, or just a regular DC-4? I'll ask at the next meeting. My local IPMS is so well attended, that I just barely know a handful of names. This guy is not a prolific builder, but the ones he does are amazing.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I have wondered about that plane. I have only seen one pic of that variant and its from life magazine. Its a glorious black n white of the plane in flight over NYC. The picture hangs in the men's room of the Lucky Dill in palm harbor fl....that is one awesome model. Thank you for breaking your rule

1 - 12 of 12 Posts