Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make brake lights for 1/32 (or even 1/24) scale cars? Now, I'm not talking about lights that come on and stay on while you're racing. I'm talking about lights that come on every time you lighten up on the controller.
If not, I might have an idea, using a comparator. It has two inputs that, when the input of B becomes less than input A, the LEDs glow. Anyone else have any ideas? I haven't tried it out yet.
But it would be a lot easier if someone already had one for sale.

Chris
:roll:

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I don't know if they are still available, but guys used to use mercury switches. The kind with mercury in a tube. When accelerating the mercury would be towards the back of the tube. When decellerating the mercury would flow towards the front and make contact with two wires and turn on the brake lights.

Some of the Scalextric 1/32 cars have working brakes lights, but I don't know how they activate them.

Marty

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
From what I understand is that the cars with working brakelights use the electricity from the motor when it is coasting to light the LEDs for the brake lights.
When the motor is coasting it acts like a generator and produces voltage.
(Check for yourself, attach a voltmeter across the two terminals of a motor and spin the armature with your fingers...)
You would need something to protect the circuit from the track voltage (diodes?)
when the car is under power...
Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts