Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, That depends on what I'm collecting. Most of my Allan Kulwicki cars ect are boxed and collected for long term investment,along with my autograpghed cars and such. My Mustangs? Unboxed, and "car showed displayed' ( hoods up, doors open ect.)
Thats the key,if you plan on keeping "MINT" for an investment keep em boxed, but if your collecting for fun, let em out and show them off.

·
Registered
152 Posts
mostly boxed for now, I need more shelves. BTW, Big Lots has a nice DVD/CD shelf for $25 that is great for displaying diecast cars. I'm going to have to get me a couple more of those.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
If the car came in a true box, like an Action piece. Then I keep the box in storage so they can later be returned to the orgional container when not on display. I have trunks of just empty boxes!

·
Registered
622 Posts
seveland said:
mostly boxed for now, I need more shelves. BTW, Big Lots has a nice DVD/CD shelf for $25 that is great for displaying diecast cars. I'm going to have to get me a couple more of those.
Do you have a pic of these? I have a BIt Lots about 45 minutes away and I want to see if its worth the trip.
Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
If it's still boxed, it means I haven't found a place to put it, yet. :rolleyes: Seriously, my cars are not an investment, they are here for me to look at and fondle, and they add a ton of color to a room. I've spent a lot of time and money on display cases to keep them nice, but if they are stashed away in boxes, what good are they?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Boxed or Not???????

I keep all my hotwheel,s treasure hunt,s on their cardboard backing. I open some of my nascar 1/24 scale cars because if you are real careful you can put them back in the box and not damage them. As for playing with them(diecast car,s etc,) i do open some mainline hotwheel,s(what few i buy anymore!!), but all the error and valuable(at least ' valuable', to me), i keep on their cardboard backing in protecto,s!! All my Johnny White Lightning are also still on their cardboard backing, also!!! Russ :thumbsup:

·
Registered
318 Posts
About 99% of what I have is unboxed...cardboard wise. The stuff that is still carded or boxed is that way because of lack of display space. It's easier that way to pack stuff away without chiping paint or losing add ons.

All of my HW's cool collectibles remain in their plastic display boxes....the cardboard is long gone. Any treasure hunts I have are uncarded and in my display cases. Same with all my JL's, Jada, Maisto, matchbox, RC.......man I have a lot of diecast!

The way I see it is the cardboard represents value. In this world of mass production, the odds of most diecast gaining any significant resale value is rare. I am not worried about resale as I plan on keeping my entire collection. Even if something does become extremely valuable, you need to find someone who will pay.

I'll keep my stuff for enjoyment value. However, if I do happen to have extras, I do keep them as mint as possible for future trading and giving just in case the recipient feels differently than I do!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I usually collect loose but every now and then if its a limited piece or something i might keep boxed!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Probably about 1/4 are open and stored in those milky white plastic 48 car cases. The rest are sorted/stored in large heavy duty boxes by toy brand and car make/model except HW and MB stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts