Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many of you remember Darkwiz donating PIPs I made for him to raise money for my move. I honored his request and put the cars on e/pay, where several of you bid on them. Ultimately they were won by Bobby, who then asked that I send them on to thier intended recipient and instead do a couple for him specificly asking for a Mustang, leaving the other car to my discretion.

These are the cars I did for him, they are milestone cars, one is doubly so.
These are the ABSOLUTE last PIPs I will do in Arizona, and the 1:24 is the 1st I've ever attempted in this scale, I wish my printer worked, I'd try to put together a pair of certificates to go with them.

I they are pretty cool, I'm pleased at how the 1:24 turned out for a 1st effort in the scale (there maybe more 1:24 scale JL's in the future, but they will be RARE, for some reason I work better in 1:64,+ they're a bit spendy!).

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
It sure is a shame to see how some people let classics deteriorate so badly! There is no excuse for it! :( :confused: ;) ;)

John, your talents never cease to amaze! :thumbsup: Someday, when you're all settled in New Mexico, I will put in a PIP request.

Good luck with the move! :thumbsup: :wave:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
......and the devil bowed his head
'cause he knew that he'd been beat.
And he laid that golden paintbrush
on the ground at Johnny's feet.............

Superb work, SS!!! :thumbsup:

(sorry, Mr. Daniels...)

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I found this car with about a third of the front bumper snapped off and the windshield split in half diagonally in a box that looked like it'd been kicked from Oak Brook to east L.A., which claimed it was a Duster, in the clearance isle of WalMart for $7.00 about 3 weeks ago.

The cashier gave me a very strange look(like she was trying to decide if I was dangerous, or at least soft in the head) because I seemed a bit too excited to be buying a busted up piece of crap.

My wife saw me breaking out the cracked windshield and asked for a divorce:lol:

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
stupidsquirrels said:

My wife saw me breaking out the cracked windshield and asked for a divorce:lol:[/QUOTE]

That is the LEAST of the reasons she asked! :p

The car looks great! Did you enjoy the new scale? Any challanges that made it that much different from your standard 1:64 work?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
69Stang said:
That is the LEAST of the reasons she asked! :p
It's finally (after 12 years) occured to her that I may truly be insane, when she caught me sharing a jar of peanut butter with the dogs using the same spoon. :lol: She hadn't seen the car when I brought it home and thus didnt know it was broke. When it was finished, she asked if Bobby could pick it up in person, saying it would give her a chance to "rassle 'im" for it (I'm putting my money on Mary, she's Scrappy!).
The car looks great! Did you enjoy the new scale? Any challanges that made it that much different from your standard 1:64 work?
I like 1:24, and JL did some hell of a Job on 'em. I have 4 in my collection, all 4 are '68 GTOs (Lloyd, the fellow that bought the'Portales Mystery PIPs, got me a pair of the 'Gold Series' Turquoise cars for Christmas, wantng me to do a 'before & after' thing with 'em). They are top shelf quality wise and HEAVY! When all this blows over, my wife wants to start picking up all the Mustang variations.

As for the challenge of 1:24, definitely! I can simulate rust and damage with paint a LOT easier on the 1:64 cars, because of the size difference, Anything other than surface rust looks cheesy.
I can pull off cancer on the 1:64s by mixing colors (lighter & darker rust *I have pre mixed 4 diff. shades of rust*, black and grey), I'll have to etch the 1:24 cars deeply to achieve a similar effect. They also require about 5 times the materials to do (paper, tape, paint etc.).
The way I dirtyup the cars can't be used on the bigger scales, I use black, white, rust and sand colors mixed with brush cleaner to weather the cars. This works pretty well on small cars, but not on the larger scales.
I can't mis-match the wheels either, way too spendy to buy cars just for the wheels.

On the positive side, fender lines, trim, etc. are much easier to see and mask. The doors open, making repainting them a snap. And some of the changes are easier to see and more subtle at the same time.

I did figure out how to weather the larger scales, but I'll need to buy a cheap airbrush. I plan to mix the colors I use for weathering with Dullcote instead of brush cleaner, but wont be able to achieve the uniformity I'm looking for without an air brush.

I used my own custom mixed rust and dirt washes on the original paint (not the parts I repainted) then sprayed ModelMaster Transparent black window tint unevenly over the entire car. I topped it all off with Testor's Dullcote. The result is pretty close to what I was looking for.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
John!!! What are you doing, man!!! You're giving away all of your trade secrets!!
I got to thinking (cuz I do that sometimes :drunk: )...I just picked up the JL 1:24 1969 Nova SS. I first owned a gold '70 Nova (6 cyl) but smashed it up. Then I bought a '69 light green junker and swapped hoods cuz the green one looked like it met up with some buckshot. :drunk: The rear quarters were rusted out (typical New England car back then)...are you following me? The mag wheels would have to go (we're talking 250 CID cars here that don't deserve such blingage) Am I painting a clear picture?? Just some random thoughts......*whistles absent-mindedly* :wave:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts