Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Some of you may remember me, I'm the guy in the wheelchair who wanted to get more into r/c-ing. Well a few days ago, after months of waiting, my brand new Supervee 27 by Aquacraft arrived! I haven't had a chance to run it yet (still need batteries and some Dean adapters for my charger) but it looks bad to the bone! Anyway, I was reading up on performance props but I have a few questions.
I understand why a brass prop performs better than plastic, BUT, the stock prop is 3 blades whereas all the brass props I've seen are only 2. Would a 2 bladed prop, even though it's brass, really outperform a 3 bladed plastic prop?
Secondly, two of the 'upgrade' props the manual suggests are as follows: the first is a 1.60" dia. w/2.5" pitch, the second, 1.72" dia. w/2.6" pitch. What kinds of differences in performance would one expect to see between the two and MORE IMPORTANTLY, what differences in wear/heat would there be to the motor/esc/batteries between the two?
Lastly, the larger of the two props mentioned above says it's only for a shaft 3/16" or larger. My limited specs don't say what mine is. Am I goin' have to break out the micromiter?
Can't wait to get out on the lake and fillet some trout! I'll keep ya'll informed! If I can ever get a digital camera I'll get some pics.

Thanks for any and all comments,
Kirk

:thumbsup:

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
Hi Kirk,
I remember you!
I am mostly into R/C race cars and airplanes. But, I can tell you as far as propellors are concerned the relationship between aircraft and watercraft is very similar if not identical.

A prop of larger pitch will provide more "top end" speed. You will sacrifice torque though. And quite likely have more heat building up in the motor/battery/esc. Conversely, less pitch will provide more punch/holeshot and less top end speed. And less heat build up.

Two blades are more efficient than 3 because you will have less cavitation and less effort needed to rotate the prop. And because of less flexing in a 2 bladed brass prop I would suspect a considerable difference compared to a 3 bladed plastic prop. BUT, three blades can be helpful in some situations when it comes to braking and with airplanes you can have higher pitch with a smaller diameter prop for ground clearance. Not sure if that is an issue with boats really. Also, two bladed props are easier to balance. Always balance your props to help minimize vibration. Always!

Yes, I think your going to have to break out your micrometer for the shaft size.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks OvalTrucker for your explanation of the pitch/torque relationship. It made perfect sense. I was glad to hear it for two reasons. First, as I said, you explained it perfectly. Second, that was pretty much what I was thinking. It's nice when the ol' wheels are turning and you find out for once that they're turning in the right direction!

Also thanks to minreg for turnin' me on to that link. I don't know if you are affiliated with that web site/hobby store but whoever the guy is that runs it defiantly has the 'need for speed'! Some bad boy stuff on there!
:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts