Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if there's any board games with a car theme that could use JL cars as the game pieces?

Everything I've seen in 1:64 scale size games are NASCAR style oval track racing with the exception of a late 60's traffic game made by Matchbox.

Me and some friends have been testing a game idea I've had for a 1:64 scale car game that has to do with going cruising around town, maybe getting into a few street races and also going to a track to do some drag racing.

Does this type of game sound interesting to anybody or do most JL collectors leave their cars in the blister pack?

GO-GTO

·
Registered
359 Posts
GO-GTO said:
Does anybody know if there's any board games with a car theme that could use JL cars as the game pieces?

Everything I've seen in 1:64 scale size games are NASCAR style oval track racing with the exception of a late 60's traffic game made by Matchbox.

Me and some friends have been testing a game idea I've had for a 1:64 scale car game that has to do with going cruising around town, maybe getting into a few street races and also going to a track to do some drag racing.

Does this type of game sound interesting to anybody or do most JL collectors leave their cars in the blister pack?

GO-GTO
Well,

Back in the late 50's, out of France, and very popular for a few years in this country was "Mille Bourne" which was a rally-themed board game, which used cards, shuffled and dealt much like normal playing cards, giving the moves for each player, and used a board with a variety or routes laid out on it, and tokens to mark your spot on the board. Might be an idea there?

Art

·
Registered
999 Posts
I remember the Mille Bourne game, since my dad always directed car-type things to me. If I remember correctly, which is about one time out of five, the tokens were smaller, but the Monopoly ones might work.

Mike

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Well,if your getting your butt kicked while playing SORRY, you can at least do it in style while driving a little Zamac Viper. :freak:

or,you can drill holes in your little game peices and substitute for Battleships
"hey,you blew up my 56 Crown Victoria!"

·
Registered
309 Posts
How about Carcheesi? Each player has four cars. With 2 cars you can set up "Road Blocks" Same old directions as "Parcheesi" Sure I spelled it wrong of course but you know what I mean. ;)

Hope you bought quadrouples of all your game piece cars. :)

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I once suggested that all of the game pieces, sans 1:64 scale cars, be sold as some sort of Monopoly supplement, or in some way on their own. Boss harumphed at it. He was probably right.

jk

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your verrry insightful comments.

I have some Brand X cars that I wouldn't mind drilling holes to play some type of "Car Wars". Maye the sequels should be the "The Edsel Strikes Back" and "Return of the Hemi". I've already done the "firecracker" thing as a kid to my redlines...if I only knew they would one day be worth something.

I have more than 4 JL GTOs (not the same color) so I might be eligible to play a make/model version of CARCHEESI.

I'll have to check out some old Milles Bourne games just to see how the road was laid out.

I'm wondering though, have most people given up on playing board games, especially car themes, since video games have more intense interactive play?

bb

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Jeff Koch said:
I once suggested that all of the game pieces, sans 1:64 scale cars, be sold as some sort of Monopoly supplement, or in some way on their own. Boss harumphed at it. He was probably right.
Your boss may have been wrong- as I know one person who'd buy them- me! The tokens are the only reason I bothered with the Monopoly release cars. I prefer them unpainted, but I have stripper to help that Hornet and '65 Mustang I picked up at Fest.

The only reason I never picked up more was because I didn't want to spend $3.99 for each seperate Monopoly token. If the tokens were sold seperately, they could retail much cheaper.

On a side note, I actually used my '68 Mustang token in a pair of Monopoly tournaments in college. Placed high enough to get into the final game (finished fourth, one spot out of the money...) the first year, but arrived late the second year, and hence had to start with no properties (for speed reasons they had started each player with some properties) and lost... badly.

AHas ayone else ever used their Johnny Lightning tokens in a Monopoly game?

G

·
Swifty said:

AHas ayone else ever used their Johnny Lightning tokens in a Monopoly game?

Only reason I bought the stupid looking Monopoly cars was for the tokens... not sure what happened to the cars but the tokens are now a part of the same Monopoly game I have had since I was 8 (37 years ago).

And I DO like the painted ones also!!!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, does anybody have an opinion about playing a board game that uses 1:64 JL cars as the game pieces to go cruising and drag racing?

G

·
To answer your direct question, 1/64 scale would make the game board pretty big if there was going to be any type of selection in the process. It would need to be about the size of an HO racetrack and that would be too big for a table top game, IMO.

Do people still play board games? I think quite a few still do

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
robmcin, thanks for you feedback.
You'd be suprised what you can do with an efficient layout of the roads on the board. My prototype has a couple of burger joints and ice cream shop to cruise through and hang out, a gas station, a car wash, about 10 auto businesses to stop at for service, a tollway to avoid side streets and traffic, a 2 lane track for drag racing, two-way traffic main roads, a traffic light and parking garages in suburbia. My prototype is 22"x28" which fits easily on a dining table and will quad fold into slightly larger than an 11x14 box. That size is very similar to the boxes and boards of a lot of new games coming out these days.
Does that sound like potential for fun? Actually one of the main streets is named "FUN FUN FUN ST". And when others have play tested the game I've awarded the winners a T-bird. After a several rounds of revisions and tweaking over a year's time it's progressed to where players are rating the game at 7.5 to 8.5 out of 10.

That's why I've been curious as to what folks think about having the opportunity use their JL cars to play a board game with a car theme.

bb

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
robmcin said:
Only reason I bought the stupid looking Monopoly cars was for the tokens... not sure what happened to the cars but the tokens are now a part of the same Monopoly game I have had since I was 8 (37 years ago).

And I DO like the painted ones also!!!
Ditto, only I don't really like the painted tokens. I sold all of the diecast cars in my garage sale. I still have all of the tokens though, including the mail order VW Bug. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I have all the munawpully cars.......*IDEA*

I think, using the above pic as a demonstration(only mine would be completed) you could encase the (real) board and cars scenario in a very shallow,glass topped, picture box.

It would used as a table top for your Monopoly gaming pleasure.

Of course, the cars would need to be stationary but it would add a spectacular 3-D effect to the board.
You could play the cards and game pieces above the glass.
When you lose,you can smash your opponents face into the glass. :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts