Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Judging by your thread title, I thought I was going to see a Fifties Corvette!:lol:

Don't see too many SSR's on the road.

some info:
http://www.acarplace.com/brands/gm/ssr/
Hey, Dad's, thanks for the interesting article. When I sold Chevy trucks, SSRs were "pegwarmers". We'd stick it in the showroom and people would come in to look at it and when they got to the sticker they'd start asking about a Silverado or a Colorado and buy that instead. I wasn't really thinking about Corvettes when I titled the thread.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
As I'm sure you know, the SSR wasn't meant to compete with pick up trucks. It was purely for fun and show. The SSR provided the 'drool factor' for your pick up customers.
I was surprised to see the production numbers of the SSR. Must be a lot of them are moth-balled, or they're all out in California!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
One of my neighbors has 2 of them. A black one that he breaks out every now and again and a yellow one that is his wifes daily driver. Cool little vehichles.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I'm sure you know, the SSR wasn't meant to compete with pick up trucks. It was purely for fun and show. The SSR provided the 'drool factor' for your pick up customers.
I was surprised to see the production numbers of the SSR. Must be a lot of them are moth-balled, or they're all out in California!
Yes, drool factor for sure - they were eye candy, top up or down. I only see a few of them around here - maybe most are, indeed, packed away in barns or in CA. They were poorly marketed by GM who teased them for years before actual production and there were many other nice toys on the market for that buying segment to purchase.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
GM should have brought the El Camino back instead of creating the SSR. JMO
Great idea!!! Because it could be stylish and a functional pick up! And the price point could probably be affordable. If they went "retro" what year bodystyle should they have gone for?? Should they go "retro"??

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Great idea!!! Because it could be stylish and a functional pick up! And the price point could probably be affordable. If they went "retro" what year bodystyle should they have gone for?? Should they go "retro"??
Going retro is working for the Camaro and Challenger:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
I saw a champagne colored SSR cruising on the Post Road on the CT shoreline today. (don't think I've ever seen one in that color) Beautiful, Indian Summer weather to be cruising in!!:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts