Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My track might run a spec blinky mode class. I have always ran open classes so I would like to know whats best for spec 1 cell classes. ESC? Motors? High torque rotors? what aver I might need.

Thanks Sam

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Its all a matter of opinion. Ask 10 racers and you will get 10 answers. Mamba esc thunder power motor stock rotor or revtech with stock rotor is my hardware of choice.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have won with Mamba and going to try Hobbywing esc now. Mamba is a good choice though. Motor?... I have used them all and they can all be fast with correct rollout and timing in motor.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've heard of guys running 5 yr. old GTB's and beatin the big buck speedos.
I heard the opposite. I hear the Novak Oval Spec 1s/Mamba set to blinky run well. The GTB2 w/x-drive is good also. The Hobbywing I also heard was good. It cost about the same as the GTB2 w/x-drive. Those 2 are as good but dont have the abilty to be run with dynamic timming at all. SO those 2 would be dedicated to Blinky only.

Last year at the birds I tried the old GTB in 13.5 Spec. Aside from not ever trying this class I used my notes from 13.5 BM (before Mamba) where I was middle of the pack. Last year I was in the back of the pack.....I cant blame the ESC but I like to take those variables out of it. For local racing I would try it for awhile if you have one.

I was told the Mamba and Tekin in blinky had a bit more speed then the old school stuff. Now there are more choices.

·
Registered
487 Posts
ALL the blinky mode ESC's should be the same. Doesn't ROAR test them to make sure they are all zero timing? I dont run a class that runs them but have seen them all go fast.

·
Registered
204 Posts
ALL the blinky mode ESC's should be the same. Doesn't ROAR test them to make sure they are all zero timing? I dont run a class that runs them but have seen them all go fast.
+1
I don't really understand how any of the esc's for a blinky class are different. They are suppose to all be zero timing?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Stepping out

I'm stepping out on a ledge here but, I think you have to look at the specs on some of the speedos, resistance/wire size ( my tekin has tq 13 where my gtb2 hase 14 ga wire). Even with true zero timing some speedos are going to be that LITTLE bit better, and I'm not going to speak for one or the other....:dude:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I heard the opposite. I hear the Novak Oval Spec 1s/Mamba set to blinky run well. The GTB2 w/x-drive is good also. The Hobbywing I also heard was good. It cost about the same as the GTB2 w/x-drive. Those 2 are as good but dont have the abilty to be run with dynamic timming at all. SO those 2 would be dedicated to Blinky only.

Last year at the birds I tried the old GTB in 13.5 Spec. Aside from not ever trying this class I used my notes from 13.5 BM (before Mamba) where I was middle of the pack. Last year I was in the back of the pack.....I cant blame the ESC but I like to take those variables out of it. For local racing I would try it for awhile if you have one.

I was told the Mamba and Tekin in blinky had a bit more speed then the old school stuff. Now there are more choices.
I've put the old school GTB in the winner's circle at two BRL events, and on the podium just about every other time the car hit the track.

As for wire size, that's somehting easily replaced, and the publicized on-resistance of any speedo is subject to a bit of fudging as well. Just like in the brushed motor days, there will be some minor differences, that may or may not actually impact on track performance.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Roar blinky mode means no dynamic timing, not necessarily zero timing.

If you run a tekin, set your motor timing, gearing, etc then say switch to a hobbywing without changing anything else you will be overgeared. The hobbywing has more timing than the tekin (non dynamic timing)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I've always thought that as well, they should all be the same if all of the programming was the same, but that is not true.

Good point Dave, I am guessing that you are right.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've put the old school GTB in the winner's circle at two BRL events, and on the podium just about every other time the car hit the track.

As for wire size, that's somehting easily replaced, and the publicized on-resistance of any speedo is subject to a bit of fudging as well. Just like in the brushed motor days, there will be some minor differences, that may or may not actually impact on track performance.
I hoped to be wrong here but have never received a staight answer. I have a GTB....and want to run it in 13.5 spec at the birds this comming year. Now you claim to be the man here. Wins and top three finishes. So the GTB2 x-drive is no better than my old GTB in 13.5 spec.

Or are you talking 17.5 Sportsman truck. I ran that its first year at the birds and made the A main with a GTB. The 13.5 is a bit more diffacult class and it was pointed out to me as something that needed to be changed to run better. (By guys that were running much much better than me). Keep in mind when your running against guys like Allen Behler (spelling may be wrong) you had better be on it...every 10th counts big time.

Please someone help. I am not wanting to waste cash...but if its money well spent, I will spend it! I was leaning toward the Hobbywing or GTB2 (x-drive).

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I hoped to be wrong here but have never received a staight answer. I have a GTB....and want to run it in 13.5 spec at the birds this comming year. Now you claim to be the man here. Wins and top three finishes. So the GTB2 x-drive is no better than my old GTB in 13.5 spec.

Or are you talking 17.5 Sportsman truck. I ran that its first year at the birds and made the A main with a GTB. The 13.5 is a bit more diffacult class and it was pointed out to me as something that needed to be changed to run better. (By guys that were running much much better than me). Keep in mind when your running against guys like Allen Behler (spelling may be wrong) you had better be on it...every 10th counts big time.

Please someone help. I am not wanting to waste cash...but if its money well spent, I will spend it! I was leaning toward the Hobbywing or GTB2 (x-drive).
Chuck did set a track record with a Novak with X drive hummmm lol

I put in a Tekin and went faster over a gtb 2.i know one thing I never have any problems with my Tekin .

Jake

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Chuck did set a track record with a Novak with X drive hummmm lol

I put in a Tekin and went faster over a gtb 2.i know one thing I never have any problems with my Tekin .

Jake
Tekin RS pro? Its high priced for the 0 timming class. I own (3) Mambas (2cell converted) I understand their software and programing. Of course the programing hasn't changed in over a year. (Maybe 2)

I was kind of hoping to dedicate an ESC to 0 timming racing.....and keep it simple and cheap since we dont use it much down here (FL).

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts