Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Sorry to hear that Pony. I did that once (don't drink and drive). It sucks. I hope you get the bread to get her fixed soon. Hope you feel better too.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Don't feel so bad,I'm sure you didn't do it on purpose.

Pathetic is my case...I blew up the engine in my cutlass,I have everything I need to put it back together but been plagued with medical issues so it sits:(

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, 8 smirnoffs later and it's not bothering me to much ;) And no zeb I don't drink & drive...never!

It was just time for it to give up the ghost I guess, I was in the middle of nowhere when it started the clacking and I pulled over and tried to call my buddy who's a mechanic. No cell service so I decided to baby it back to town. I made it but that clacking is sooooo loud now it'll wake the neigborhood if I crank it! Oil was good, water was fine, not sure what happened :confused:

My buddy says it'll be at least 600 bux to drop an engine, since I got the truck for 500 I guess I'll go truck shopping tommorrow. I'll tell ya it sux to be 38 and have to borrow money from mommy.......

I really can't fault this truck though, I got over a years service from it with no major problems for 500 bux, hope my next one is as good

·
Registered
481 Posts
Damn and no flames or anything........??? At least if they are going to blow you should get a show out of it or something to tell your buds! I know my last one just went thud...........timing chain took out the engine.

But have two more and you will be better????

Good luck tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup, 2 more and it's getting better all the time :freak:

Good thing I took the day off tommorrow, I gotz to go to the docs for a bunch of tests so I hope my luck turns before the results come in......anyone who does the praying thing send some my way.

·
Registered
574 Posts
i kinda know how you feel. my first bad boy car left me about 5 miles stranded with a blown engine about 11 years ago. that sucks. it was my first car. by the way it was a 1980 buick skylark 4 door with a great big 4 banger inside. what a chick mobile. LOL!!!!!!!!!!! it's to bad you live in virginia because i have a truck for sale right now that would be affordable. don't suppose ups would ship it to ya. LOL!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'm saying prayers for Pony.

I blew up the engine in my truck many moons ago. It was a 1955 Chevy Cameo
I threw two rods out the sides of the block. Sounded just like someone dropped two of those glass water cooler jugs. It was cool though two plumes of smoke trailing out behind me as we whispered down the highway to a stop.
I guess I should not have passed that tractor trailer.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
....and my lucks still holding (bad) Got to the docs office this morning and they say no your appointment is wed at 10:45. I show them the paper from my doc that says monday the 13th at 10:45, they say hmmmm, we're sorry but we just can't work you in, I say hmmm I'm sorry I can't take another day off of work. So they reschedule for the 21st, hope I can take that day off.

Decided to go ahead and take the day to look at trucks, found one that looked good but mt buddy whose a mechanic came out and looked at it and said nooooooo! Said the timing chains gonna go any time. Got one to look at tommorrow afternoon. Feels strange looking for a vehicle when I have 22 bux in my pocket and 2.53 in the bank! Guess I won't tell them that part :) Payday is wed.

Well gotta go crash, have to get up early so I can walk to work tommorrow :freak: no drinks tonight!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
sh1035 said:
Damn and no flames or anything........??? At least if they are going to blow you should get a show out of it or something to tell your buds!
No flames but I sure did put on a show when I blew the engine in my truck. I have an '89 C-1500 that I let my brother use for a year while he was saving up to get his own vehicle. When he returned it I noticed that the engine had a little bit of tap-tap, clack-clack and clang-clang goin on. I asked him about it and he said that it had been doing it for months, ever since he went out mudding (2WD truck with a 402 and a lowered racing stance. Mudding?!?!?!?!?!?! :freak: You did what? :mad: and in the same mudding incident he also managed to snap my speedo cable) with his friends and overheated it to the point of it locking up and wouldn't start up again until the next day. Well at the time I was in the process of getting ready to transfer from Virginia up to Maine in 1 week so I did not have the time to fix it myself. I made arrangments to have a buddy follow me and I was gonna drop it off at the shop, only a few problems the shop closed at 5pm-it was 4:30pm, and I had to contend with the rush hour traffic. I'm toolin down 44 headed for the shop in Va Beach with my buddy behind me and traffic is moving along nicely, then it happened. Smoke started pouring out of the hole that appeared in my hood, the front passenger side of my truck was scraping pavement and I was tossed into a spin. Literally doing 360's in rush hour traffic going down the road. On either the second or third time around I caught my friends eyes and I'm sure you guys/gals can imagine the expression on his face. I managed to go about 1/4 of a mile, without hitting another vehicle or the concrete barrier and finally came to a stop facing my buddy and the oncoming traffic, his car was coated with oil and anti-freeze. He claims I was doing about 85mph when it happened. I ended up having it towed to the shop (which was now closed) and made arrangements to be there when they opened (I wanted to see just how bad the damage was first hand). The first thing they did was replace the 3 flat tires and the tie rod that had snapped. The tie rod looked like something had taken a chunk out of it and just snapped it in two. When they pulled the engine the oil pan was just obliterated, the intake manifold had a huge hole in it and the block had one large hole on the driver's side and a massive hole on the passenger side. There were 3 out of 8 piston rods still in the block, 1 of which was still attached to the crankshaft but the piston had shattered. The end cap was gone, nothing left of it but 1 bolt and the tiny fragment of it that that bolt was holding in place, the oil pump that was attached to the end cap was nowhere to be found. Pieces of the rest of the main caps were recovered from inside the block. Most of the pushrods that were still in the block were all sorts of mangled. Needless to say it was beyond repair.

The following day when I went into work, my chief told me there was something going on in the conference room and that I was supposed to attend. My buddy had gotten a copy of the tapes from the traffic cams and had showed them to everybody in the office. When I walked in everybody stood up and started clapping. Less than a week later my truck had a factory 350 in it, was all fixed up and I was driving to Maine. To this day I have 1 of the piston rods that I picked up off of the highway in my truck as a reminder of that wild ride.

Sorry for the long read but I hope it helps to brighten your day. :roll:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Pony,

Hold a raffle and who ever wins gets the chance to completley destroy your old truck, We had a Charity booth at one of the local races and we had a 68 Catalina that had already been in the demo derby, and we charged a buck for 3 whacks with a 18lb maul, We made over 300 on that deal, and had a hell of a good time.(Drunks like to wreck stuff sometimes) You might make a couple of dollars toward your next ride doing something like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts