Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A recent post in another thread by Nil about an old issue of Car Action magazine got me to do alittle digging through my giant stack of old RCCA's. My search turned up the issue Nil was talking about: Volume 3, Number 1, February 1988. This issue featured racing from Lake Whippoorwill Speedway in Orlando, Fla and the weekend of big time small scale racing that Radio Control Car Action had sponsored. One of the most successful racers that weekend was a young guy named Buddy Bartos who whooped on them so bad he earned the name "Legend of Whippoorwill". :p

The 16 year old magazine shows it's age, the cover is gone...the corners are dogeared and torn, but it's full of pictures and good articles about the biggest R/C race of the time. Kinda neat to see the old ads with names like, Thorp, Mauri, Pro Tech and Bolink, and to read about cars with names like Optima, Vindicator, Kangaroo, and Predator.
The newest hot battery was Sanyo 1400mah NiCads and at Whippoorwill, motors with names like CAM, Twister, Losi, and Trinity held the top positions.

One of the big events of that weekend of racing was the Novak 600 lap team race. "A grueling test of enduring team work" With Joel Johnson and Bud Bartos starting on the front row, this was expected to be a 600 lap sprint. The team of Bartos/Hechler fell behind at the start of the run. Their car seemed unstable and was at a disadvantage in this team race because their competitors had quick change battery systems that cut their pit stops for fresh batterys from 16 to 18 second to 3 or 4 seconds. By lap 300 the team of Bartos/ Hechler was gaining ground again. At lap 560 they pulled in for their last set of batterys and with Bud at the controls, they put 2 laps between them and the second place team of Davis/Davis winning the race in 1:16.37.7 averaging 34.1 mph running a TRC Pro 10 powered by CAM motors and a Tekin ESC. The team of Johnson/Fuller finished third with 549 laps.

Novak 600 Winners
Top - Tim Morton/ Jan Limpach
Bottom - Bud Bartos/Dave Hechler

to be continued.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,168 Posts
K1m >> That is cool !!! Yes in the good old days I was in just about ever issue of Car Action mag. I still beleive that issue is what started the big explosion of RC racing at the time.
Now know one even knows who I am. :freak:
The two in top of picture are Tim Morton left owner of TRC at the time and right is Jan Limpach ( world champion slot car racer and my manager at the time) Yes manager to keep all the autograph chasers in line.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
BudBartos said:
Just the old Guy !!!!!!1
NO not just the old guy, THEEEEE old guy! You have done a lot for this hobby and been on the forefront many years past. I do belive most people dont realize who you are and the influence you have had over the years, Before I got to meet you in 1989, I used to read about you constantly in car action. I was just having this conversation with my Girlfriend after racing friday. I can remember your famous NOID on all your cars!!! (remember the noid form dominoes?) THe east west oval shoot out! that was all you!!!! You are one of the four fathers of RC in my book!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
OK, Bud is one of the "FourFathers of RC". then who are the other three? :rolleyes:

Bud must be the most famous, cause I couldn't tell you who the other three are...

RAFster

·
Lifetime Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The Third Annual Pepsi Challenge was the last event of the Car Action Weekend. Finally, it all came down to a five minute race for the 1/10 scale invitational. Steve Swindle was on the pole with his Bolink Eliminator 10, and starting right beside him was Bud Bartos, driving a new TRC Pro. Swindle jumped into the lead and Bartos, after falling behind early, passed Andy Dobson in the new Parma car for second place. Then Swindle dropped off the pace with battery problems. For a while Jeff Davis put pressure on Bartos, until the Legend pulled away for the victory with a 45 lap run. Barto's CAM powered car averaged 38.6 mph for the five minute run.

A couple of questions Bud: The article also says that J. Limpach won the 1/10 stock class driving your Predator. Was the TRC car a brand new car for you at the time? Sounds like you guys had quite a road trip. Also, what's the story on your "secret to success"? :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,168 Posts
The TRC was new at that race. Jan who is mainly a slot car racer ran my Preditor and won the stock class. I think it was his first real RC race ever. He was OK as long as he was on the track turing left only but if in a wreak he had a hard time fig which way to turn :eek:
what is that in the picture ???
:jest:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Did you lose those brain cells from consuming the contents of the bottle? Hope to see the racing legend in the flesh tomorrow evening at HobbyTown track at the BRP points series opener.

David

·
Lifetime Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BudBartos said:
what is that in the picture ???
:jest:
I don't know... that's a direct scan from the RCCA issue. I figured there MUST be a story there. Some kind of wine cooler they fixed up for you I guess.

Here's another old pic. Does anyone know these drivers from the 80's?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Fourfathers LOL

RAFster said:
OK, Bud is one of the "FourFathers of RC". then who are the other three? :rolleyes:

Bud must be the most famous, cause I couldn't tell you who the other three are...

RAFster
Ok the other 3 are Mike Reedy, Gil Losi Sr., Mr. (mike?) Novak at least in my book anyways. anyone else?

·
Lifetime Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ran across this the other day while surfing through Putnam Propulsion's web site. I think it said from 1992 - Jimmie Holland "The Dutchman" on the left in the familiar t-shirt and some old guy named Johnson on the right. :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts