Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, since we have a few builds of the other BR cars going, I figure I might as well start my Spinner! Of course, I am going for full lights on mine. The car is just too nice not to have lit up and twinkling! For this build I will be using some 30 LEDs (possibly more). Most will be for the light bar, wheel pod lights, underside and then the interior. For the most part I will be using 1.8mm flashing LEDs from Evans Designs. They are pre-wired and ready to go. While I could have done it cheaper by doing all the soldering myself, I just did not want to with this many small LEDs.

This will probably be my lone 2013 Wonderfest entry.

Here is a short video of some of the LEDs for the roof lights. I have another order of lights on the way. This is going to be a slow build as I have several commissions going on at the same time.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Started with moddifying the light boxes on the bottom.

Stock on the left, modified on the right.

Both opened up.

Testing modified roof bubble with LED. Short video.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. More to show in a few days. Lots of drilling and filing to do! I just got my second shipment of lights from Evan Designs, more 1.8mm LEDs and prewired surface mount LEDs.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Been working on making the doors operable. I seperated the door glass from the window glass. Next is removing the inner door from the enterior tub. Lots of careful scribing with my pinvise and needle.Picks are clickable.

And we have seperated door glass!

Set back in place to check the fit. Looks good.

More lights!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
UPDATE-

I have both doors cut from the expensive body as well as the interior panels removed. I painted the recessed door panel to darken it. This way I could see the line better from the underside. I took my Dremel with a small cutting ball and ground away the plastic along the bottom of the panel line. This thinned the plastic enough so I could finish the cut with a few passes of my Xacto blade.

The door was then fee of the body! A few swipes with Mr. Sanding Stick and the edges were nice and clean.

Here the outer door panel is taped in place. An extender was added to the back side of the door panel to extend it. This makes the door look more substantial. A little photo etched detail to add interest was added.

Both doors tapped up and checking for fit. And one with the window glass set in place for insperation. Looking good!

I'll work on building the actual hinges tomorrow. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
30 LEDs? :eek: Sure that's enough? :lol: Like Steve said, the doors are gonna look sweet swung up like that! It will really let the interior shine. No pun intended.

HAL9001-

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I'm not sure how long I sat at my desk staring at the body wondering how I was going to make those right angle cuts at the front edge of the door where it would hinge at. Once I came up with a plan I sat there again, just staring at it, getting the nerve up to start cutting up a $60+ model! Once I started though it went real smooth. If anyone else wants to open the doors I think this may be the easiest way. But what do I know?

Once I build the hinges I will start working on the light bar and the rest of mods. Thankfully, the doors were the biggest mod needing done. Seperating the side windows was just as nerve wracking. Now that that is out of the way, everything else should go smoothly, right?

Right?..........

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Doors are hinged! I started with some small diameter aluminum tubing and some paperclips. The paperclip fit the tubing perfectly with no slop. Sorry, but I dont know the diameter of the tubing, it was in my spares box. I cut off two small sections of tubing. I then cut the large loop off the paperclip and trimmed it to length. As usual, pics are clicky!

Assembled and tacked in place. Some minot trimming to make sure the doors cleared the body.

Some JB Weld globbed on for extra security. The doors now open and close nicely. First major hurdle on this build accomplished.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I got the door stops added. Steel strips were added. I need to go grab some neod... neodyin.... som Rare Earth Magnets.;).

This is the full range of sweep for the door.

Edit- Added video of opening doors.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not a lot done on Sunday. There are people in my house that want to talk and spend time with me for some reaso.......oh wait, that's my family! LoL.

I modified the insturment pod. I seperated the ribbed section behind the insturments that will light up yellow. Clear panles were cut and filed to shape. I didn't get around to sandwiching it all back together yet. More shaping needs to be done.

I did realize the door panels were pretty bare and detail-less. I added door handles and some padding or something to give it some surface detail. Not movie accurate, but it looks good. I think.

For the door handles I cut a section of tubing and glued in a half round bit of stock for the handles itself. I then cut a corresponding hole in the door panel and inserted my assembly.

The pads were just sheet stock cut into an interesting shape and glued on. I also added some ribbed detail to drivers door to fill in some empty space.

Once I get the insturment pod back together I'll post pics along with a lighting test with a yellow LED.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If you are going to use Paul's PE set you can save yourself unnecessary carving.

I'll e mail you a pick of the instructions:

Steve

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Steve. I'll order it this weekend. I'm very close to where I need to start modding the interior for lights. I think I will start working on the light bars tonight after I finish off the dash.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finished the mods to the dash. The recessed section were removed and replaced with sections of clear plastic. Where did I get the clear plastic? Well, I found a 3M magic tape dispenser had a nice flat bottom. I cut two sections out and trimmed them to fit. Everything was then glued back together. A single yellow LED will light this up from underneath.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts