Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to have a screen accurate Blade runner spinner.
I thought with the release of the movie on bluray that they would release a collectable car (like they did with the Back to the future Delorean with the release of the trilogy on DVD. They included a tiny spinner in the deluxe suitcase, which has no details at all. But no screen accurate spinner released...
Anubis made a nice resin spinner, but the interior is still not accurate enough.TVC-15 made some nice injection models, but they can't be found anymore...
Comet miniatures sells a very nice diecast version but it costs a fortune (£299 for a 7" spinner!) and the interior is also not screen accurate...

I own the Medicom Back to the future spinner, but it's plain black and no interior detailing, and I made a laser spinner (small garage kit resin model) but really not detailed enough ...

If they would produce a nice detailed big kit of the spinner (finished or not, simular to the studio model (see attachement)) I would buy it, I guess I would not be the only one?
Perhaps in the future? This one keeps dreaming... :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I have the Medicom BttF Spinner as well- it is possible to convert it to a screen accurate version though it requires a complete teardown. A fellow posted step by step instructions showing how to do it, but unfortunately his site was hosted by AOL and when they discontinued supporting the sites it went away. I do have his email adress and another person who makes exterior decals in the proper scale for the Medicom.

Here is a good 1/48 scale kit- out of stock at the moment-
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/newshop/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1417

The Spinner is one of my favorite vehicles of all time- I love Syd Mead's designs and I am always a sucker for a flying car also. I hope to convert my Medicom car someday- I just don't have the time and with a complete teardown it will be a lot of parts to loose track of if I have to stop in mid-project...

·
Registered
717 Posts
We have seen high quality 1/18 diecast releases of the 66 Batmobile, Mad Max Interceptor, tons of Bond cars, Nightrider Firebird, Ecto 1. On and on and on across the board of all kinds of famous TV and movie cars.

Why no Spinner?????

Licensing no doubt. That is what held up the 66 Batmobile for decades.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blade runner spinner

I know what you mean!
They also made tons of Deloreans from Back to the future (in several sizes and editions), so I had my hopes up for a big Blade runner spinner with the release of the 25th edition and bluray version, but nothing!

I've read somewhere that the licensing is indeed the problem (that's why medicom released only the black spinner from Back to the future)...
Most models I saw don't have the correct interior design, I think the TVC-15 ones are the only ones comming close to it...

I'm sure if they would release a diecast spinner (say 1/32 or 1/18 (woohoo) scale) it would sell out in no time

·
Registered
257 Posts
I know Moebius was trying, but got shot down on licensing. It's a mess. Too many owners to the license, and no real decision makers. It's too bad.

KK

·
Registered
717 Posts
Stunning because demand has built up greatly over the years and they all would make money. But if the 66 Batmobile could happen (some thought it would never happen) so can the Spinner.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,016 Posts
Blade Runner fans, myself included, have waited a long time for an accurate kit of the Spinner.

The good news is a talented garage kit manufacturer with an established record for bringing quality sci-fi models to market has chosen this subject for his next release (not trying to be coy here, but pending an official announcement I don't feel comfortable mentioning his name). Based on this fellow's past efforts, and given the reference materials he's being granted unprecedented access to, this promises to be the Spinner kit that serious Blade Runner loving, garage kit building modelers have been waiting for.

The bad news is it will not be the sort of inexpensive, user-friendly, injection-molded, practically-builds-itself, Moebius-esque model some would like. Unfortunately, given the rat's nest of licensing issues involving all things Blade Runner, it's highly unlikely that sort of model will ever see the light of day.

Anyway, I'll post a heads-up here as soon as an announcement is made re: the aforementioned garage kit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh! That's good news!
Looking forward to see pictures of it.

I think the expectations of an accurate Spinner are so high someone has to come up with a very nice model to please the fans...

high hopes...

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Blade Runner fans, myself included, have waited a long time for an accurate kit of the Spinner.

The good news is a talented garage kit manufacturer with an established record for bringing quality sci-fi models to market has chosen this subject for his next release (not trying to be coy here, but pending an official announcement I don't feel comfortable mentioning his name). Based on this fellow's past efforts, and given the reference materials he's being granted unprecedented access to, this promises to be the Spinner kit that serious Blade Runner loving, garage kit building modelers have been waiting for.

The bad news is it will not be the sort of inexpensive, user-friendly, injection-molded, practically-builds-itself, Moebius-esque model some would like. Unfortunately, given the rat's nest of licensing issues involving all things Blade Runner, it's highly unlikely that sort of model will ever see the light of day.

Anyway, I'll post a heads-up here as soon as an announcement is made re: the aforementioned garage kit.
Rob, you tease! That is great news though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts