Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can a black cap be updated with red cap parts? a few of us were having a conversation about and wondering hanks.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
can a black cap be updated with red cap parts? a few of us were having a conversation about and wondering hanks.
The port openings on the red cap motors are wider than the black cap. It is a possibility to put red cap jug and piston on the black cap lower case halves. Not sure how the performance is compared to a full red cap motor but I am almost sure there will be some gain.:wave:

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
the way i understand it you cant combine the 2 motors if you want to be QSAC legal the problem with the black cap is they dont make the rings or jugs anymore

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
the way i understand it you cant combine the 2 motors if you want to be QSAC legal the problem with the black cap is they dont make the rings or jugs anymore
I have black cap jugs and rings. If anyone needs them. You can combine the motors according to Randy Brown. They will be teched as the new style motor if I am not mistaken.
:wave:

·
Having fun is #1
1,978 Posts
Page 23 in rule book

ENGINE
1. Engine Zenoah G2D-70 (both two-ring and single-ring versions), and the Zenoah G23RC/G230RC (versions A & B) are allowed.
2. Engines must be as manufactured, no mixing of components between versions or up-rated -44, 57 -cylinder 1148-12111 (to the 2HP version) may be used. Example: You cannot use a two-ring piston with a single-ring cylinder or a single-ring piston with a double-ring cylinder. The G-23RC / G230RC (versions A & B) have interchangeable parts. Each version will have its own set of specifications and will be checked accordingly. Example: Version A engine with a version B cylinder will be teched as a version B engine. If your engine has version B parts it will be teched as a version B engine.

That means NO mixing of engine parts if its a black cap engine its a black cap engine. Make sure the engine will tech. in the right version!!! You will want to upgrade anyway to the red cap engine

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Jeff:
This is why I said you could use a red cap cylinder on a black cap base. Something Randy and I talked about when the red cap first appeared on the scene. We may need to clarify the rule.

The G-23RC / G230RC (versions A & B) have interchangeable parts. Each version will have its own set of specifications and will be checked accordingly. Example: Version A engine with a version B cylinder will be teched as a version B engine. If your engine has version B parts it will be teched as a version B engine.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I think in the long run buying a new Red Cap Motor is your best bet. Their Cheap and this way you shouldn't have to worry about the motor being legal or not. One last thing to worry about on race day. If the Black cap runs ok it might be a good backup motor or a play motor for testing.

Black cap motors by spec. has a little less power but still can be competitive. Port timing is differant and the coil output is a little low. Like Fred said the porting of the transfer case is also differant.

All parts between the black cap and Red Cap can be mixed however I would keep the coil and flywheel as a unit.

Mike
willmannracingproducts.com

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we were just wondering if you could or not. i am running a black cap now and keeping up ok with the red caps. i do want to go to red cap next year but if im keeping up with the red caps would it worth rebiulding the black cap since rebiuld is cheaper than a new motor? i have 2 black caps and a older zenoah motor in a sprint car i just bought i figure i better have some back up

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
clem i like the black cap over the red could not find parts for it so quit running it on the rule there seems to be a gray area that needs to be addressed because i thought you could not mix the 2 the way the motor rules are now

·
Registered
669 Posts
I see the confusion. It's because the rulebook needs a slight change. Originally written that there was no interchanging of engine parts 44 to 70D to 230. Then Zenoha came out with Version B (red cap) of the 230. Rules were added that allowed Version A (black cap) to be upgraded to Version B (red cap) and would be teched as a Version B engine. The rule, as stated, only applies to the 230 engines. There is still no interchanging of parts between the 44, 70D and 230 engines. Clear as mud right? One thing I never got done as Co-chair was a re-write of the rulebook. I started but then the insulator block/plate thing came along. Although I did manage to made everyone happy with the Sprint Car rules.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts