Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Matchbox 1948 GMC mated to the Maisto Studebaker (/) COE roll back. The truck is standard except for an extended chassis, narrowed rear axle and Hot Wheels '47 Chevy sub visor. I have no objection to modernized or custom trucks but this one has to work for it's living out in the hedge rows where the old cars are. JL's 1963 Champ has a step side box courtey of M2's '51. The Hot Wheels Champ cab would work as well for a more custom look.

Modelbasher

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
looks fantastic man!!!

I do have a question tho...
why does that truck look so in scale with the pick up when everywhere i go on the net states that the MB cab is 1:43 scale???

or am I looking at the wrong truck...matchbox collectibles casting right?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your comments. I have to say I enjoyed building the GMC a lot, perhaps because it was less involved than some of my other projects? You're correct: Matchbox trucks vary quite a bit from 1/72 to 1/55 or so all the way back to the original Major packs in 1957. Many of them are close to 1/64 - including the '48 GMC cab - although the '48 GMC truck bodies are over-wide. These are very rarely found locally so I rely on ebay more than I'd like which means I'm relying on someone else's judgement. A full size truck or bus in 1/64 should be 1 1/2" wide (8 feet in 1/64) if it's going to fit in with the other vehicles in the collection but older truck cabs are usually narrower than the body. When I find something of interest, I ask the vendor to tell me how wide the actual model is (not the packaging). I'm sure it seems strange to them but it works for me and not only for Matchbox trucks, either.

Modelbasher

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Aha!!!...yeah, I'm a bit of a scale freak(to keep the cars and trucks next to each other-at least "close" to scale even if not truly so)...thanx MB...again great job on that and the cab and roll back body really do look in scale with each other...I have a few fire truck bodies that would look great behind one of those old cabs:thumbsup:
ciao:wave:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts