Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you guys haven't heard already Hot Wheels will be bringing back the very popular 100% BLACK BOX cars in the same cases they use to come in. They are to be released in 2007 or early 2008 and the SHOWCASE and KALIFORNIA cases are history. The only thing left is what are they going to charge??? They were $9.99 up here in Canada and $7.97 in the USA before they were discontinued. Probably won't make it up here anyway like most of the premium stuff.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
hmmm..don't know

I think those things were like 7.99 at Target way back when... I know prices increase, but those Kalifornia Kustoms in the tube are prices at like 10 bucks (?) and people were really down on those for costing so much... AND not buying them...aren't the tube cars the same detail level as the old 100% black box cars were?

u think just cuz they go back to the acrylic box (which seems to me would cost more to produce than the flimsy plastic tube) they will charge 10 dollars and it will be ok?

·
Banned
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I know is that if they gouge us again they will be sitting on shelves collecting dust or better yet not even carried by any of the retailers. It already happened with the showcase series. They were being dumped for $4.99 up here and $3.99 in the US at TJ MAXX when they origianlly retailed between $8 for the retail and up to $16 for the Hobby versions. I hear even the real rider and ultra hots series cars are stiing collecting dust with the exception on a couple of cars (55 Panel and the Ghia). Time will tell!!!

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
It's too bad too because there are some nice cars I've been leaving because I'm not paying the $9 or $10 for stupid packaging. If the price doesn't come down significantly, I still will be passing.

·
Registered
746 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
It's too bad too because there are some nice cars I've been leaving because I'm not paying the $9 or $10 for stupid packaging. If the price doesn't come down significantly, I still will be passing.
Well said.
-------------
Diecastlive.com

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
All of the ones that I own I bought for $3.99 each (TJMaxx & BL) or $3 each (TGT & WM closeouts). I hope Mattel figures out a better original price than before. I might pay $4.99 for them, I guess, or maybe $5.99 for just the few I really want. Regular price was $7.99 at WM and they seemed to sit there for years.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I bought them as soon as they showed up on the shelves, because after that the packages were torn up with people trying to get the cars out. And, I'll probably do it again. They were VERY nice cars!

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
johnsreflex said:
Ditto from me as well. At some point these guys have to get a clue from GL.
I really don't see no great business strategy being employed by GL other than being the vulture picking at JL's customer base. They set on the pegs at my local KMart as much as the Real Riders and Kalifornia Kustoms do.

I'll buy the 100% cars though maybe not many if their price is too much. The 100% line offered the best mix of different types of cars out of any of the diecast makes I have collected.

You have to wonder though why HW charges so much for these cars. It seems that the product is good enough that if Mattel could get the price down to that of JL and GLs that they would have the muscle to crush the other two makes.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
price doesn`t matter too much,I`d just like to see some E-bodies done in this series.Specially a new cuda if they`ll ever update that casting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts