Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
That could be the most common SF model kit misbuild because a similar mistake appeared in Finescale Modeler magazine.

The model was done by that site's owner ... who's very prolific and very connected (i.e. friends in high moderator places) so don't be surprised to feel the lock.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I was just pointing out something I thought was odd. I had never seen that before. Hopefully the mods will understand.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Yeah, definitely one of those "Oops!" things. To be fair to Allen, he's not quite the Anal Rentative Star Trek Fan the rest of us are. 'Sides, this just gives him an excuse to build it even better w/all the aftermarket decals and pieces/parts to really spruce it up. :)

I think he did a great job on his painting, regardless.

chiangkaishecky said:
That could be the most common SF model kit misbuild because a similar mistake appeared in Finescale Modeler magazine.

The model was done by that site's owner ... who's very prolific and very connected (i.e. friends in high moderator places) so don't be surprised to feel the lock.
Don't see a reason to lock it nor would I based just on what's been said thus far. I like and respect Allen a great deal and have conversed w/him via email and PM at several different forums off and on over the last several years. However, I wouldn't lock a thread just 'cause of someone pointing out a mistake, regardless who that person might be.

Well, unless someone asked me specifically to do so - or until any malicious and needless bashing of the builder started up.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My self imposed self restraint for opining on a lot of Trek models, especailly the Reliants I have seen on these boards recently....IT'S JUST KILLING ME! :freak:

DLM

·
Registered
359 Posts
oops...yeah he's got the photon launcher on backwards. Its hard to believe looking on the movie and at pictures how you could screw that up...but it happends I guess.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
I'm surprised Allen did that! He's human after all! :lol:

·
Registered
546 Posts
He probably just put it on backwards without realising it. The roll bar doesn't have to be glued on , it snaps into place.
Or maybe he did it for fun, to see how many people would pick up on it.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
This could be a Trek urban legend but arguably what appeared on screen was also "messed up" 'cause the initial Reliant concept had the nacelles on top and the roll bar on bottom.
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Miranda_class
memory.alpha.org said:
The Miranda-class model was originally designed "upside-down", with the nacelles above the dish and the "roll-bar" bellow the dish. However, when the initial drawing was sent to Harve Bennett for approval, he viewed the drawings upside down. He liked the design and signed off on it. The FX team debated whether or not to send the sketches back to Bennett (who was in Israel at the time working on another project) with the correct orientation, but they decided that there was insufficient time to do so.
Has anyone built a nacelles above version?

·
Registered
306 Posts
OOOOOHHHHH.... Ha ha ha. I didnt even notice it. Now I see it. Yeah, thats pretty bad. Amazing that the details could be so perfect and yet they got such a huge piece backwards.

If he was able to do that good of a job, I am sure he could fix it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have noticed things like that on commissioned builds, well maybe not as obvious but still, mistakes.
But if the owner was raving how happy they were, I wasn't going to spoil their enjoyment of it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did a model out of a CG Reliant I built a couple of years ago.
It's a nice twist...

CG "reverse" Reliant

Tobias

chiangkaishecky said:
This could be a Trek urban legend but arguably what appeared on screen was also "messed up" 'cause the initial Reliant concept had the nacelles on top and the roll bar on bottom.
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Miranda_class

Has anyone built a nacelles above version?

·
Starship Class
11,871 Posts
I've done worse :(

It's easy to do something like that--especially for me. It seems sometimes that my brain slips into reverse gear so I can understand how it can happen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts