Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive notaced a ton of w/l found there........
now there not so hard to find
all that thought the sets were i of 25 the mother load of the best sets are hitting there
i saw 9 sealed cases at big lots in now 9 cases thats more than waterford tru has gotton in th past 2 years....
and 1 w/l was a vega dukes.............its for trade btw
now thats prob onbe of the hardsest sets to find
the pin up girls waz a htf set also....just saying i aint think w/l are as htf as we thought lol

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I agree. :thumbsup:

People here on this board go around saying that these Area 51 WLs, Pin-Ups WLs, etc. are so rare (i.e. 1 of 25 or 1 of 50), but they seem to be found at Big Lots in droves and are in Ebay in droves.

These same people said that the Lighting Rods WLs were so rare (1 of 25), but again, I disagree.

Obviously, despite what people here might say, they are NOT as rare as they are touted to be.

Simply put, I believe that people have an incentive to believe that they are rare so they can ask inflated prices through their use of disinformation. As for me, I will NEVER buy any newer WL thinking it is very rare. Only buy them because they are nice to look at and NEVER pay too much for them because they are not worth it anymore.

Let the naysayers post below. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i agree i rem the spoliers charger w/l was over 200 bucks i wanted one so bad i gave a silver cuda momc in trade for one and got a open one of the 69 charger that was about 2 years old around that time
now 3 mo layter canda got a ton of that street freaks rel. and the charger w/l was what seemed to be a dime a dozen... i was kicking myself for that..
the charger went from 200.00 to 50 bucks in what seemed over night
i have a feeling that big lots is going to do the same .........

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
doubt it. Its rare because we couldnt find it. Canada got the end of the carded jls at discount because jl was making new packaging.
Big lots is not the new canada, pales in comparison on amount of product and cost.

Patience is a virtue

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya but w/ls are going to values will fall rapedly becasu=se the supewr htf sets are now in droves
like canada thats all im sayibg watch the zinger dasiys roadrunner was over 120.00 about a month ago i saw one sell today for 25.00 big diff i say its cause of big lots

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
yes that is obvious. Ask a premium for a harder to find item. Ask less for an easier to find item.

Supply and demand

Its still not like the canada dump

·
Registered
139 Posts
JL's & retail

This is my take on JL...
I started collecting JL in the mid 90's because of the quality and detail that Playing Mantis brought to these 2-3 dollar cars. Metal on metal, excellent detail, flawless tampos, & excellent quality control. I bought every car in every series. All the major retailers sold them and it wasn't to difficult to complete a set. As the diecast market has changed over the past 3 years, sales of the 3 - 5 dollar cars have slowed so many of the large retailers dropped the lines. Now the only place I see them is Toys R Us (rarely) and the new plastic base 2 dollar cars at Wal Mart. If Playing Mantis is manufacturing these in considerable numbers, they have to be able to sell them. Well, if none of the mass retailers are buying them to market to us collectors what are they going to do with them? We have seen in the past the mass dumping of JL cases in Canada, dollar stores & Big Lots. So why is it a big surprise these large quantities show up like this? I would imagine Playing Mantis offers these lots to the discount retailers so they can move the product that Target, Wal Mart, Toys R Us, Rite Aid, & Walgreens will no longer sell. So, Playing Mantis releases large quantities to the dicounters that the large retailers don't buy to keep the money coming in. I don't know about the rest of you, but JLs are extremely difficult to find at retail. So what's a collector to do? If you're not buying cases from one of the distributors, collecting JL, Greenlight, M2 or Hot Wheels adult line is almost impossible. Of course, there's always eBay and TTP but the shipping is getting rediculous.
The "chase" cars feed the greed! Ten years ago, few collectors & even fewer retail empolyees new what a chase car was. The internet changed that forever. We now are all a product of our own creation.

·
Registered
627 Posts
ive notaced a ton of w/l found there........
now there not so hard to find
all that thought the sets were i of 25 the mother load of the best sets are hitting there
i saw 9 sealed cases at big lots in now 9 cases thats more than waterford tru has gotton in th past 2 years....
and 1 w/l was a vega dukes.............its for trade btw
now thats prob onbe of the hardsest sets to find
the pin up girls waz a htf set also....just saying i aint think w/l are as htf as we thought lol
It's pretty simple. The 1/2500 sets have 25 WL made, the 1/5000 sets have 50 WL made, the 1/10,000 sets have 100 WL made.

When only 1/3 of the product shows up at retail over a 6 month period only 1/3 of the WLs will surfice over a large window of time making them really hard to find.

When the remaining 2/3 of the stock is dumped in two weeks the WLs will seem plentiful, when in reality they are not.

·
Registered
565 Posts
better get them now then.i got nothing in WLs from 2 BLs.i've been watching the recent auctions TTP etc. I dont see it as a big flood and WLs being common.numbers made are there unless you dont believe JL?are any of these over 100 made?
so far to date since the 'BL flood' i've seen 3 those 70's cars firebirds available for sale.yeah real common.sure theyve only sold for $20 each.should of bought them all.saw none available before big lots.

·
Registered
246 Posts
better get them now then.i got nothing in WLs from 2 BLs.i've been watching the recent auctions TTP etc. I dont see it as a big flood and WLs being common.numbers made are there unless you dont believe JL?are any of these over 100 made?
so far to date since the 'BL flood' i've seen 3 those 70's cars firebirds available for sale.yeah real common.sure theyve only sold for $20 each.should of bought them all.saw none available before big lots.

Those 70's cars were part of another dump here in Canada last year, lots of wl from that series showed up. They were clearanced at Walmart for $1.50. Other series were dukes of hazzard r4,mopar mayhem r1, and racing legends r1.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm talking about the recent big lots cars.thats good for a year ago.
still havent seen any more of that 73 firebird WL listed....
and i never saw one of them listed last year.guess i just missed them.or nobody came off one...

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Whoever the person advertising a 1 of 25 from a recent Biglots find is most likely lying or has no idea what he/she is talking about. The quantity made in each run is right on the package if so. I don't recall anything I found at Biglots having a 1/2500 on the package. The majority(or all of them) said "limited edition collectible" which likely means the run is over 10k. If a run is 10k OR LOWER, that info can be used as a selling point like "hey look! these ARE limited!" but 10k is a pretty big number, advertising a larger run than that might be counterproductive. The Gold Series cars found at Biglots are the lowest production runs found there at 5k, which means approx. 50 WLs of each car were made. In the past I have seen 1/2500, 1/5000, 1/7500, and 1/10,000 oe "limited ed.coll." right on the blister. I want to say with certainty that everything found at Biglots said "limited edition collectible" on the package except Gold Series. A run of over 10k would have at least 200 WLs of each car, still a very low number when you think about it.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hi All,

Just wanted to chime in with a little info I was told. In talking with Tom Zahorsky at JL/RC2 at Lightning Fest, he said that while all the series do not have the production total on the cards, the last of the clamshell JL's were produced in runs from 2500 - 3500. One exception was the Dukes of Hazzard series. Most of them were produced in runs of around 10,000. Tom said that the reason the runs were so low was that they could not guarentee that the big box stores would take all of them. Obviously that was correct. The reason you are seeing so many cases show up at BIG LOTS is because they were sitting in the warehouse. So even though the number of WL's may seem to be more, in truth they are only 1% of the production run. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I heard it straight from Tom and he should know what he's talking about.

Take care and Happy New Year All !

Scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts