Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Big Boy Toys Super Sport ESC Cover - New!

Hot New Item.... You liked the GTB Cover Plate... now there is a Cover Plate for the Super Sport ESC. Half the weight of the original heat sink and a lot cooler looking. Contact Randy at [email protected] for info and ordering. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
nice, just sent an email about prices for this and the gtb cover. does the ss cover just unbolt ?? im too lazy to unpack my truck and look !!

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
same question how does the heatsink come off the SS? Unbolt or snap???

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I tried to take mine aff a while back.. i took off the screws, and it wqs glued down.. I ended up just drilling holes in the heatsink to lighten it up.. any tips on removal would be great.. I got a sphere now, but i want to get another Bl system for my 2nd car...

·
Registered
611 Posts
take the case apart, and if your careful, you can get under the edge of the heatsink with something and pry it off. it takes a little work but after you get it started it pop's right off

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Super Sport Cover Install Instructions

Super Sport Cover Install Instructions

Take the case apart then remove the 2 screws holding the heatsink on. There is double sided tape holding the heatsink to the pc board. Very carefully pry the heatsink from the pc board. Then remove any excess tape from the board. Now reassemble the speed control case. Next remove the protective backing on the new cover plate. Make sure you align the screw holes in the cover plate with the holes in the pc board. Press into place. Install the 2 screws. Snug them up, but do not over tighten.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Guys,

The SS heatsink can be tough to remove from a "used" or run ESC. After the ESC goes through a few heat cycles the tape really takes a set.

I don't know of an officially "good way" to remove them. However I have read online forms that cooling the unit before you pry it off will help.

Be very careful through, you can easily damage the PCB prying and pushing on things. :)

We don't feel the SS series should be run with a "smaller" heatsink, but I can understand how in 4 cell it wouldn't be much of an issue.

Thanks
[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts