Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tearing apart an old broken HO Life Like train I had in a box looking for parts to use in a US-1 re-power I'm contemplating and looky what was inside the one set of remaining drive wheels. It's too thick to fit in a normal pancake chassis without mods but holding the top plate in place on A TJ I got the arm to spin when I put power too it. Possibly this train was an Aurora product being sold under license at one point because the motor magnets are exactly the same size as Thunderjet/AFX size. Haven't exactly figured out what to do with it yet, and that big a$$ gear is too big for my puller.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I don't have a meter at my disposal currently. I suspect it's more just "monster torque" than speed since it came out of a train.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
big n fat just how i likem. man that thing is wild lookin thanx for post pics of fat chix/arms!! better back away from that thing could bite ya!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is that the infamous Quintalam, 1 better than the Quadralam. That is a monster.

Gotta go, looking for my train stuff, and have an idea on how to get this stuffed into a pancake chassis, I need to get it ready for the next drag build off. That is Big Block power.

Boosted

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Oh Man, that Loco Arm is just Wicked Cool ! :thumbsup: I gotta find me one for my Pancake Arm collection. So you say it came from a Vintage Lifelike HO locomotive ? Was it from a Diesel for Steam Loco ? Do you think it was made in the 70's or 80's ??

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is that the infamous Quintalam, 1 better than the Quadralam.
How Spinal Tap-ish "1 better, goes to 11" I was thinking of a double decker ish gear plate for a thunderjet. I do wonder if MR G maybe uses these as a basis for the xl 5. NOW bad news is 1) that big brass gear is proving really hard to get off 2) The shaft seems to be 1.5mm. It came out of this sort Life Like train see the tall black thing in the back? the wires lead to a motor brush cup gearbox deal. I think it's a Life Like train from the early 80s mine was a Sante Fe just like this one, all I know. I take no resposibility for people going to train shows ripping the top off of Life Like trains looking inside

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180951946035?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_969

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Awesome info !...and thanks for the eBay Link.....now i know (4 sure) what to look for. And I never knew that those Life-Like Diesels were actually Pancake Powered - SWEET !

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Done it already!

I've got a custom 6 laminate blank I made sitting on my bench waiting to be loaded into my next personal build! I've built the 5 laminate motors before in my competition Outlaw Tjets. Actually pulled a 0.299 et @ 80.01 mph! Yes.......with a Tjet!! I'll make that sucker work in a chassis!!

Jim Sgrig

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I've got a custom 6 laminate blank I made sitting on my bench waiting to be loaded into my next personal build! I've built the 5 laminate motors before in my competition Outlaw Tjets. Actually pulled a 0.299 et @ 80.01 mph! Yes.......with a Tjet!! I'll make that sucker work in a chassis!!

Jim Sgrig
Wont be much of a chassis left after final fitting?;)

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Too Cool- Scrig and Southlyonben ! :thumbsup:
And guess what, I went into the Flea Market/antique Mall where I work, and what do you think i Found there!? Yep, I found the exact same Life-Like Sante Fe Diesel Loco selling for $5 as-is... so i just Had to buy it....and I did pop the body off the chassis before I bought it just to make sure it had the same motor, and it does. I'll be disassembling it tomorrow when I get the chance.
But FYI, I have no plans to ever convert for use in a slot, i just wanted it for my Arm collection. So you guys really think that Aurora made these motors for Life-Like ???

·
BANNED
8,118 Posts
prolly the same manufacturer. I am not sure Aurora ever had a winding facility, but used existing, established businesses for arms
Faller and maybe Bauer had the same type arms too.

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
I'm pretty sure Aurora used multiple vendors to keep up with demand during the T jet's heyday. Vibes according to this wiki totaled 1.5 million produced, and then the T Jet came about. By the early 70's, production numbers totaled tens of millions!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slot_car

To give you an idea... You'll need over 2700 armatures a day to make 1 million T Jets a year.. That's a lot of winding!! No doubt one of those manufacturers made other pancake arms for other applications, the Lifelike diesel being one of them.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
To give you an idea... You'll need over 2700 armatures a day to make 1 million T Jets a year.. That's a lot of winding!!.
I am sure Tjetsgrig could wind that many easily, Right Jim.

Never dreamed they made a million of these T-jets, that means I have a lot more collecting to do.

Great Info

Boosted

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Reread that... If that source is correct, we're looking at 10s of millions of T Jets!!! Bare minimum we're looking at 20 million + T jets produced..

·
BANNED
8,118 Posts
I wanna know where the train cars full of original t-jet chassis are parked! there is no way all those chassis have been distributed, is there?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts