Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Looks better than the last two, better balance of shapes but still wonky.
Doesn't anybody remember that the aft Hangar Bay is a functional part of the ship instead of this tiny little anal thing? IIRC that was one of the reasons the original ship mesh was upscaled so drastically- they needed an impressive Hangar Deck and the design was only big enougn for a small shuttlepod to squeeze through.

How 'official' are these renders- I am unfamiliar with Alexander Klemm

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

How 'official' are these renders- I am unfamiliar with Alexander Klemm
It is a fan made model, but it's based on references of the studio model. Having seen both, it's 95% accurate I'd say. About as close to official as we're probably going to get until the next film.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Based on the official model? That is a CGI, did Alexander Klemm get access to the actual CGI? Did he collaborate with the designer? There are details there that weren't visible on the film. Even the designer (sorry forgot his name), interviewed on Trekyards, said that the shuttle bay area was unfinished. He also said it could have been finished after he turned it over to the film animators, but knew it would be completed before the next film (IIRC).

It is, however, designed at 2500 feet, about the same size as the two earlier incarnations of the ship.

I like the renders, Klemm did a very nice job on them based on what I remember. I would have to compare it to the film CGI to verify bits.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Based on the official model? That is a CGI, did Alexander Klemm get access to the actual CGI? Did he collaborate with the designer? There are details there that weren't visible on the film. Even the designer (sorry forgot his name), interviewed on Trekyards, said that the shuttle bay area was unfinished. He also said it could have been finished after he turned it over to the film animators, but knew it would be completed before the next film (IIRC).

I don't want to overstep my bounds by saying too much, but all I can tell you is that this fan creation by Alexander is highly accurate to the film version. Down to the smallest detail.

·
Curmudgeon
6,590 Posts
I actually like this. It's a shame this wasn't they created and used for the first JJPrise...
I agree. If they had used this design/configuration in the 2009 movie I think the opinions of the "new" ship would have been at least a little more positive.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I don't want to overstep my bounds by saying too much, but all I can tell you is that this fan creation by Alexander is highly accurate to the film version. Down to the smallest detail.
Interesting.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I agree. It's much better proportioned, but the massive wing-like nacelle struts are too heavy and too far back on the engineering hull. The cove on the underside is still way too long, and the saucer still looks mismatched to the rest of the ship.

I'll pass on this one.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Looks like the nacelle position relative the saucer is very close to the original ship.
It looks similar then from one or two perspectives. Interesting!

·
Super Moderator
738 Posts
Very nice work. Thank you for posting this nice piece. It's not a bad ship. Good photography.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
IIRC, on the Trekyards episode where they interviewed the 1701A designer (still can't remember his name!), he said that the thick pylons were to reflect Starfleet's not wanting the pylons to be a weak point like the Refit's were in Beyond. He also wanted the rear sweep of the pylons to reflect the rear sweep of the neck for a consistent look.

The only thing that I wonder about is, if the swarm attacked the pylons, and the thickness/width is a factor in determining where they would breach the pylons, that really thin, similar to the Refit's pylons, area near the engines is still such a weak point!

Curious.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts