Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to let everyone know my frustration with Horizon Hobby. 8 weeks ago I sent in two items for repair, a motor and an esc that had burnt up, both from eflite. The usps tracking number says it arrived at the horizon service center. So today I called to check the status and they tell me that they can't find it. So, after getting transferred to several different departments and getting the runaround they tell me there is nothing they can do. So basically I'm out over $300 worth of products and they tell me they won't make it right. Customer service like this is what causes customers to go elsewhere. I've been a modeler for 15 years and don't plan on quitting anytime soon. I can promise you this, I will NEVER buy from Horizon again. I will buy my stuff from Hobby City from now on. I have been very satisfied with everything I've ever bought from Hobby City and the prices are about half what you pay from horizon.

I just wanted to let everyone know what happened with me so you will know how Horizon treats their customers. Make your own decision as to whether or not you want to do business with them again. I know I will go elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
You may not buy from them driectly again, but there products are what many hobby shops stock themselfs with. meaning your buying there stuff yet paying someone else..

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Thats why i deal with Lefthander RC, never have a problem like that.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
if you have a ups tracking # for your package someone at horizon has to fess up that yes they received a package from you...what was inside the package is a mystery to them...but sonny should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Looks like he sent it by USPS. There tracking system is junk. Been down that road before. They scan the package at delevery and then throw it in the mailbox, slot , whatever. No one actually signs for it like UPS or Fed Ex.
Postal Inspector should be able to give you a time of delevery(when they scanned it). That might help.
I had a couple motors lost in delevery some years back. After jumping through all their hoops, come to find out the package was scanned "delevered" at 8am when the Mailman loaded his car at the Post Office that morning. I went Postal on them:cool: but they would never admit they screwed up.
I would be looking at USPS for more specific proof of delevery
UPS is a little more expensive but worth it when something like this happens.

Good Luck Jason
Feel your frustration Buddy

if you have a ups tracking # for your package someone at horizon has to fess up that yes they received a package from you...what was inside the package is a mystery to them...but sonny should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was recently hit by the USPS also. I purchased a new AMB transponder on eBay. $80 shipped. It was sent via USPS. I have a locked USPS mailbox (apartment complex). USPS said it was delivered yet my mailbox was empty. I contacted the post office and talked with the Post Master. He told me there was nothing they can do as they delivered it. Talk about a getting hosed. Government efficiency at its best.

I've had Horizon repair many things and their service has always been top notch. A little slow sometimes, but they always take care of me. My guess would be that the USPS hammered you. Not Horizon.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Lately my USPS delivery person has been leaving my mail box lid open and leaving my packages on the lid to my mail box. This left the box open and its contents to anyone who walked by and the weather. There was a change in the delivery person. The one I had was great. I took pictures and went to the post office to speak to a supervisor. The delivery person was in violation of the rules.

As far as horizon goes, they have gone above and beyond my expectations for repair work.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
i sent my jr z-1 radio in for service and they had to have had the radio for over a week. i call them a week later and said it will be up to 14 days until they can service it. i got the radio back and it worked perfectly and no charge for service or shipping. thats ausome.

as far as sonny brown, he is one stand up guy. i met him in cleveland last year and someone at the tech area must have knocked my radio over on the tech area and broke the spectrum mount on my module. i took it to sonny and he fixed it right there at the track and didnt charge me anything for the repair. thats customer service. i also got a free t-shirt to boot.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Looks like he sent it by USPS. There tracking system is junk. Been down that road before. They scan the package at delevery and then throw it in the mailbox, slot , whatever. No one actually signs for it like UPS or Fed Ex.
They do if you ask.

You pay for the service of UPS, it isn't free.
A 2# package UPS cross country is
$9.57 5 day delivery.
$17.63 for 3 days.

Post Office
$4.80 2-3 day delivery
$2.35 to have someone sign for the package.
$7.15 total.
Do the math.
You want a guarantee? you gotsta pay for it.
And it's still cheaper.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
i bought 2 tix to universal from ebay..shipped them usps with del conf ...they said it was delivered..i got nothing........

if you are the seller and the buyer does not want to pay for shipping or is tight with shipping...send it out usps priority with del conf...as long as it said it was delivered your job is done...

if you are the mailer and the stuff is yours..ups or fed ex all the way

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Dan
I never knew USPS had a 2.35$ sign option??
I would like to use USPS. I like their Priority mail option. I have received packages on a Saturday that if sent by UPS I would not see until Monday BUT>>> USPS track record is not good when a package comes up missing.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Dan
I never knew USPS had a 2.35$ sign option??
I would like to use USPS. I like their Priority mail option. I have received packages on a Saturday that if sent by UPS I would not see until Monday BUT>>> USPS track record is not good when a package comes up missing.
Yup.
If you print out your shipping labels online,
there is a box for 'shipping options'.
It's in there.

Or... obviously, you can just ask if you bring your stuff
to the post office.

It's been my experience, that if you send out relatively light stuff
you cannot beat the Post Office.
Especially like smaller r/c stuff that started this thread.
The USPS flat rate small box is awesome.
Heavier stuff, you are better off with UPS.
But it's no bargain anymore, no matter what on heavy stuff.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Another thing to think about is sending stuff registered mail. Registered mail follows a different path than normal mail / Priority - with a much better chain of custody record. Insurance is also cheaper with registered mail than with UPS/Fedex. The problem with USPS Priority is the what happens when they lose it ... it just isn't worth it for more expensive items. I normally send things under $100 USPS Priority - especially if going to the East Coast because it is usually quicker and cheaper than UPS. Over $100 I send UPS/Fedex (usually UPS).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts