Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local track is looking for a new oval class for carpet racing this winter. We have been racing 4 cell brushless oval pan cars but with the high speeds and the new drivers combined with experienced drivers is causing a lot of chunked foam tires. We are tossing the idea around of either sedan oval or edm buggy oval. We all agree that we want to stay with rubber tires. We want the racing to mimick outdoor oval in that we want the cars to not be totally planted all the time, so you have to actually Drive the car. We will be using Novak brushless 5800 systems in them but we dont know if we want to slow the cars down to 4cell to even out the racing or to open them up to 6 cell and make it so you have more power than you need. If you have more power than you need then the best set up car wins but the lesser experinced guy may put the car in the wall with all the power.

And as far as the oval sedans, we dont want to get into all the aftermarket oval sedan conversions. Because that just drives the costs up and UN-levels the playing field. Is it possible to have close racing when everyone has a different sedan?

So let me know what you all think on this idea. We have a group of guys that just want a cheap, fair, even, and most of all FUN class to race. I dont know if there is such a thing but we'll see.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Infrontracing: If you do go with using the EDM class maybe the new GBX Intimidator or Enforcer may interst you. The Intimidator can be either a Late Model or EDM and the Enforcer is a Sprint Car. The kits are now shipping and comes with everything you need including rubber tires if you prefer so you can basically declare your rules to "box stock" and it will work. You can see pics on CustomWorksRC.com.

The ORL Series in the PA,DE,MD area will be running these types of cars for the remainder of the season and have started gathering rules for the 2005 season. The main part of the rules concern the body since alot of guys make their own.......check the rules out on OutlawRacingLeague.com under the "rules" link.

Feel free to contact me at [email protected] or check out CustomWorksRC.com if you have any questions.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the shameless plug. lol I love the Custom Works products and we currently run several heats of enforcers on a dirt oval. I also have the ol terminator. But I think we will be going for one of the two car types I mentioned before. Just because we have all already have either a sedan or buggy.

Our local track owner has or will have a couple of the GBX kits in now. Im sure they will be giving them a try at our track soon. I personally cant see them out running a Enforcer. But time will tell.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
my only suggestion is to buy alot of the trinity spec touring cars..keep rubber tires on them and oval or truck bodies..6 cell stock or use 4 cell 19 turns with them...heck make them all run the same gearing as well.. like an IROC series...this would be same chassis (there cheap as dirt) same tires..same motors? same gearing? with rubber tires the stagger would all be the same...sign me up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Infrontracing::::How big a track are you guys running on right now with brushless 6 cells? It sounds fun but then again, it could turn out to be demolition derby !!!!! Yikes, that could be a disaster in the making albeit an expensive proposition. I used to race CW Dominator & Enforcer on dirt oval back in florida on a fairly decent large track and still end up banging one another, LOL. I would like to see how you guys manage to do it on carpet. Where is your track located? Do you have a website? Im interested to know. Thanx :hat:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wanna race sprints inside with no wings! I won't be able to race much more dirt this year because of football so this leaves me with this sprint i bought but have only been able to race with 2-3 nights. I know this idea didnt work well at jville but Allen's track is alot bigger. And we could use spec foams (since they are cheap) or rubber tires (don't know what tires would work on carpet). But if anyone wants to try this when it gets cold out them me know!!
P.S. Did you guys come to a conclusion about brushless with 4-cells in touring cars? Later--Zack

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Our local track went with a Spec Oval with a break-out time....(truck bodies)

Run faster than a 4.8 sec lap and it doesn't count.

Spec Rules for the most part(no set gear ratio).

It is one of the best classes we have an to date...
And allows a new guy to run the seasoned guys...

A lot of guys didn't like the idea at first.....
Now, it's the biggest class and most competitive......

VERY close racing

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a cool idea Tres.

Zack- we will definatly have a brushless 4 cell sedan class. Im not sure if we will run together with the stock brushed sedans or not. Probably will though. The custom works rubber tires might work with brushless 4 cell on sprints.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
mike the idea is to convert all aspects of racing towards just one type of racing..."oval" i cant wait to here scotty ernst call out lap times for blackstock and baker running touring oval.......muhahahahahahahahahhaha my plan is coming together nicely!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts