Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

What's the best way to preserve plants (like small fern fronds) for use in a diorama? I've heard that I should soak them in a glycerine water mix, let dry, but then what? Do you spray them with some kind of fixative? Hit them with an airbrush? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Brad.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi all:

What's the best way to preserve plants (like small fern fronds) for use in a diorama? I've heard that I should soak them in a glycerine water mix, let dry, but then what? Do you spray them with some kind of fixative? Hit them with an airbrush? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Brad.
I really try to find fake / plastic plants, then I don't have any worries. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup - thanks for the ref to the Woodland Scenics. I have seen their stuff, and some of it is very useful. But I'm still looking for realistic ferns... :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
For ferns I've seen really small feathers used, looked pretty good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So back to your actual question. I've never heard about the glycerine and water mix. But what I have done in the past is use multiple clear coats (for plants that I want to retain their natural colour). Hit them at least 3-4 times with light misting coats. Can also be done with coloured spray, dont use an acrylic spray tho, doesnt add as much protection. I know some people have had success using hairspray, same deal, just light misting coats. My last suggestion, depending on how fragile of a plant your trying to use, is to dip it in a PVA/water mix and let hang to dry, or even with future acrylic floor polish. This works really well with dried branchy things to give a bit more strength. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
MrJuice mentioned what I have just tried. I put acrylic floor polish full strength into a spray bottle (used for misting house plants) and lightly coated some weeds and such from my backyard. This is a great time of year for that. Go in thin coats so it doesnt build up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts