Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I had dug out some nearly-completed AMT Trek models from storage and am now in the process of completing them.
At this point I'm completing the subassemblies and have reached the point to start painting them.
Which brings me to the next step. Who makes the best replacement decals for these models: 18" Enterprise, Voyager, Enterprise-E, and 22" refit Enterprise? I've examined JT Graphics, JBOT Decals, etc. and they appear to be equal.
Any opinions on these from those who have used them, in terms of quality, reputation, ease of use, and longevity? :confused:

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have used JT on my stuff that i've done and like'em.Besides if i am buying something from federation models i can order the decals and get everything in 1 shipment.

·
Starship Class
11,667 Posts
If I ever finish my TAS heavy shuttlecraft pattern master and kit it, I plan on asking JT to make up some decals for it. Service and quality are way up there.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Sorry, but I'm not going to get in to a model-by-model examination of my experiences w/the various vendors, but instead will give my general experiences, in alphabetical order:

Absolute Models has been a pleasure to deal w/on my few direct dealings. The decal quality is excellent and I had my decals w/in two weeks of placing the order. Absolutes decal line is also available thru Federation Models.

J-BOT isn't taking orders right now, sadly. I've had excellent service from him in the past, however.

I've had excellent experiences with JT Graphics, both ordering thru FedMods and from Jeffrey directly. When ordering directly thru JTG, if he has any delays he'll let you know right away. I think the longest I've had to wait from him is maybe 14 to 18 days because of a planned trip that he was taking. Honestly, I've only applied one set of his decals and while I found them very thin to work with, I didn't have any major problems w/them that couldn't be worked out. He's also been known to replace sections of decals where a customer might have had problems putting them on a model and ruined them.

PNT Models has excellent decals and the variety for generic lettering & hull graphics is perfect for kitbashes. The customer service related problems I've had in the past have been in the form of communications breakdown and long lead times in receiving the orders - but that was more than two years ago. PNT seems to have worked past that in the last several months, judging by commentary of others. I've put a number of decals from PNT Models (formerly Thomas Models) on models and never had any problems with them. Like with JTG, PNT has been known to replace sections of decals where a customer might have had problems putting them on a model and ruined them. My own recent experience with an order was was both pleasant and expedient - I don't recall the exact time frame, but know it was between 8 and 12 days from placement of order to receipt.

ST Modeler has a decal line, as well. The only experience I've had was directly with David and it was quite pleasant. I've not yet used the decals I purchased from him, however.

My advice is to just ask folks here of their experiences whichever vendor's decals you end up purchasing just prior to putting them on the model. That way you get a fresh perspective on things.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
I've had no problem with any of the aftermarket decal manufacturers listed above. The artwork has always been perfect and the only real difference has been in the thickness of the decal film.

I would recommend that regardless of who's decals you buy, always test a small portion to see how thin it is and, if necessary, give the decals a light coat of gloss or flat.

If you do have problems, all these vendors have great customer service.

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Good point about the testing, too, Jim. I know that both JTG and PNT include their logo on pretty much every decal sheet I've seen in a while. It's a great way to test those types of decals to get an idea of what to expect on the "real deal".

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have used St Graphics, JT Absolute and PNT. They are all of very good quality and the turnaround from order placement to receiving was quick and painless.
The Absolutes are tough decals no need to clear coat them. I did, but I also have the touch of a blacksmith. :tongue:

The PNT decal set was complete and also was quite sturdy.

Hope that helps.

j

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
What makes the PL refit kit supplied decals so thick? Is it the sealer that was used?

Why are the thick decals frowned upon?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Raist3001 said:
What makes the PL refit kit supplied decals so thick? Is it the sealer that was used?

I can only imagine the reason for not wanting the decals to be too thick would be the finished appearence of the model. Depending on how thick the decals are, you may need more clear to seal them than paint on the model. :freak:

J

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Raist3001 said:
The idea of a decal is represent painted-on detail. Having a raised area of clear around the decal sort of defeats that objective.

You shouldn't (in an ideal world) be able to see that it's a decal.

Jim

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
jsnmech said:
I can only imagine the reason for not wanting the decals to be too thick would be the finished appearence of the model.

Arronax said:
The idea of a decal is represent painted-on detail. Having a raised area of clear around the decal sort of defeats that objective.

You shouldn't (in an ideal world) be able to see that it's a decal.

Jim

Makes perfect sense....thanks :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts