Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i'm bored and i was sitting on the think tank again.

if you have raced for 3 days or 30 years i want to know the best race you ever attended and what made it the "best"

did you win the race? or did you just have a blast with friends? was it both? was it something else? promoter? announcer? have you ever attended a race that had the total package? did you win the big raffle? entry fee low? trophies were so huge two guys had to carry them to the car? do you have more fun at local events? or do you feel the need to travel to run with the elite racers? do you feel it's beter to finish last in a field of big dogs? or do you need to whoop up on the local guys and win by 5 laps? just looking for some feed back..i see no reason to flame anyone. thanks bill

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well since I have only been racing for about a year I dont have too many races to choose from but this past July at Blountville Model Speedway they held the Fire Cracker ARCOR Spec Oval Nats. It was a 2 day race with triple A mians and it had 112 entries, I think thats impressive for spec racing. I qualified for the A in 4C Spec which was really tight with only 5 or 6 seconds seperating the top 10 cars. I finished 7th overall in a 30 car field but what really made the weekend was the prize I won in a raffle for the Victory Jucnction Gang. I put $10 worht of tickets into a box for a HyperDrive kit of your choice and I won the drawing!!! It was pretty cool I added another red car to the stables I havent lost with it much since, lol. Hope to make the Snowbirds this year so that might be my biggest race soon. :devil: :roll:

·
Bret Lund
2,684 Posts
Kat...Yes. :p .

I like to whoop up on the locals, I'm fine with finishing last with a bunch of National champs, it's most important to have fun, I HAVE won the big raffle at Cleveland, my local tracks have VERY low entry fees.
But my favorite race had to be Cleveland when I finished 4th with a battery and tires I bought over the counter at the track. I hooked 2 Tekin 4.5 amp chargers to 1200mah batteries for 7 runs including the main :thumbsup: The neg. side was buldging by the 7th charge. The hobby shop wanted to sell me RTR (ready to run) tires, cut to race size, I said NO WAY, I want NEW full size tires, LOL.
My friend had eye problems that week, so he had eye drops, guess what, I put them in my motor instead of motor drops, LOL.
3rd place had an outboard bearing bracket on the motor, tech DQ'ed him, then Mike Reedy reversed the disicision because he gave it to him. So there was controversy too.
So I did well, won the raffle, did dumb things, and went away smiling...Probably my most memorable race to date, besides the 19 turn main this year at the ROAR Nats.

Good enough???
Later, Bret

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
I have been doing this thing since 1989 and would have a hard time picking just one race soooooooooo, I think the last Oval Masters @ Lake Whipporwill was one of the highlights. I was racing in stock with my new EV10 and I was struggling so I walked over to the trinity pits in gasoline alley and spoke with Jim Deiter about my car and what I might be doing wrong. He spent about 10 minutes with me going over the many problems I had with my set up and I made the changes. I picked up a 1/2 second a lap and won the c main. Two great things happened because of that, I finished 21st out of 350+ stock racers (not bad for an out of pocket racer) and I learner that for sure, if the chassis aint right, nothing in the world will help you go fast. I enjoy the Daytona race every year because it is always well run, the crowd is always there and hey, it's @ Freakin Daytona International Speedway! The MSA race in Crossville TN is always a sure bet for a good time and stiff competition, D.R. puts on a good show and some of those fast TN boys are sure to be there. The race is usually held in Oct and the weather is awesome. I always enjoy the drive, there and back. And finally the last Snowbirds in Tampa, what can I say? Awesome track, well run, a lot of great racers and it was a true oval race only. It's just a big touring car race with some oval now with way too many racers, too little practice time and that awful potent smell of paragon. I am not throwing off on Boylans race, after all it's the biggest in the world, he must be doing something right. It's just not for me. Bob Hosche used to cut off the entries for the Oval Masters at 400, I think, and that was for good reason. You would think his protege would carry on with that tradition.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I say..Snowbirds 1 thru 10. Every race I have attended has been, fun, exciting, rewarding, a learning experience, and most of all seeing good friends and alot of racers that we only see once a year. Heck, one year I even TQ'd and won the T-rock class. Seeing what Mike has created has always made me proud to be his friend. Meeting real race car drivers there, away from "their" races and coming to see us race the "toy" cars is an amazing thought. To me the Snowbirds are like the Chicago Model Show, a race, a celebrety party all rolled into one. I for one say "Thanks, Mike, see you at the 20th reunion!!!!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
My turn

For me, My biggest claim to fame has to be the 1991 dirt oval nats at the Sugarbowl r/c speedway In Georgia. Or was it in 1992? Uh I dunno but I've been racing r/c cars since 1979 and my dad started me on commercial slot car tracks in 1963. Yep I said 1963. Well back to the dirt oval nats, I ran in two classes that year stock and modified wedge. I was expected to do good in mod because I had picked up a motor sponsor(anybody remember Paul Davis's Strikeforce motors?)but I really stunk up the place.

I was running stock for the extra track time and low and behold I had a clean run in my first qualifier and it held through two nail biting more rounds till I had qualified 10th in the "A" in my first and subsequently only national event. Theres nothing quite like staying up all night looking at every race result to see if you are still going to make the main. Hmm? Kinda like Da'birds are now. The sugarbowl was a silicone tire only track and cars were only allowed on the track after dark so we raced all through the night.

At the strart I eased off the line to avoid the inevitable first turn lexan trading party that never occurred and got involved in someone elses fourth turn mess. Well I unlapped myself and ended up finishing 6th out of the 150 or so stock entrants so I left happy and even got my name in two magazines. Still have the plaques for 6th and making the "A" as well as that "D" main 3rd place mod paper weight.

I've had fun in all forms of r/c racing both onroad and oval, Dirt and asphalt/concrete and till this day nothing beats a good local race with friends, Win or lose. I lose most of the time but after years of representing whatever hobbyshop I worked for at the time I've enjoyed my last foray into racing the most. Have fun or try another hobby! well theres always beer too:freak:

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
mine was a sedan race.... 2000 novak us touring champs...... i did not make the show.. but i qual 11th missing it by less then 1000th of a sec.. but it was out of 89 people in stock class.. so i think i did well.. not to mention the whole a main was 9 tc3's and one yokomo... i was running a at the time 5 year old kyosho tf3... he he not to shabby..

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
my best race was it york Maine I was the fastest car in my main but the leader took me out every time i try to pass. but there were friends there for all over new england and jet was one of them . stay up all night before the race so i was all screw up but what a blast we had. and most of us are going to a trophy race this weekend leaving friday moning.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hay I'm getting a bad rape here, I was the leader in the race that bojo is talking about and to the best of my knowledge he and I only came together once. I have to agree that was a good day, but I think my best race was more of a best race season. Back in like 1987 or 1988 I was still pretty new to R/C and started racing Newington NH on a roller skating rink. It was a pretty big track and some what slippery. When I started going to the track I was running a Turbo Optima but quickly learned that there was no way that I was going to catch the Custom Works Dominators on that track. Not having the funds to buy a car at the time I turned my attention to 2 whell drive. I had an RC 10 which seemed to be the class of the field at the time. I had not run 2 wheel drive before and when I started I was terrible, just when I was about to give up this nice gentlemen who was winning most of the time came and offered to help me. His name was Dan and he has to boys who also raced with him. (Hay Bojo it is the same Dan that we race with today) He help me with setup and even loaned me a custom made offset chassie. Once the point season started he had gotten my act together and I was making the a-main on a regular basis and usually competing with Dan for the win. At some point Dan had skipped a week to race somewhere else so, it came down to the final points race, I had the lead by five points and that was the amount that was the difference awarded between each postion. He TQ'ed that day which was two points so the margin was now 3. We both made the a-main so it all came down to how ever finished in front of the other won the hole shotting match. At the start I was to aggressive and clipped a corner dot, resulting in me needing to be marshaled. Luckly for me my car ended up at the marshal's feet so, Dan didn't put me a lap down but close. I drove the race of my life (all be it short to that point), I catch and passed Dan on the 3rd turn of the last lap. He had not had to push his car a hard as I did so, he had more left in the battery, He grabbed a hand full and went back by me in turn four and won by less then a couple of feet. I finished second in the race and second in the points, but there was on one that I would have rather of lost to then the "Nice Gentlemen" who took me under his wing and help turn me in to contender. THANK YOU Dan!!!!!!

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
Best Racing Memory: Has to be the '91 ROAR Concrete Oval Nats where my best racing buddy Mike Murphy and I TQ'd and Won both Stock classes...both with hand made prototype cars, The Murphy X22 and D22. That was back in the day when all the factory teams used to support and race at the Oval Nats. It was cool being two privateers pitting on a fold-up card table beating the likes of Associated and Trinity in their 45' Enclosed pit trailer...Too cool. :thumbsup:

Best Racing Event: This has to be a tie. My two favorite events are "The Classic" at St. Roch in Canada and The Custom Works Open Wheel Champs in Coopers, VA.
The Classic at St. Roch is the best run, most organized event you will ever attend. I've been fortunate enough to attend the entire spectrum of racing events, from local club races to IFMAR Worlds. None compare to The RocK.

The Custom Works Open WHeel Champs is tied due to a few reasons: First, it's Open Wheel Dirt cars, which are my favorite form of racing, and it's all indoors. Also, since the hotels are a bit of a commute from the track, most of us die-hards rent motor coaches an RV's and stay trackside.
The dirt oval racing mentallity is much more laid back than other forms. It's not uncommon to see people helping one another regardless of what t-shirt they wear, or even if they are competing against one another in the same class. It's also cool to have 400 entries in the same building with a Winston Cup Champ, and no one makes a big deal over it and let's the guy race and be "normal" for a week...
Also, where else can you race and have hot girls deliver meals, shrimp cocktail platters, cocktails, etc; to your pit while you race? Then, when the racing day comes to an end, we all gather in a motor coach to eat a dinner that was prepared for us while we were racing. This, combined with more cocktails and bench racing, along with some comedy relief makes for an awesome event... Too cool... :thumbsup:

Todd Putnam
Putnam Propulsion

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My favorite race i've been to so far was the 99' paved nats at Sugar Bowl, I just loved that track and it was cool to see 300 guys at a paved nats(the last big paved nats, maybe forever) I made the a-main in two class and ran back to back triple a-mains. Never had to leave the drivers stand! 8 minutes of 10 cars on the track back to back for three rounds.

Most memorable race 2001 Sandhills Roar nats. I won 6-cell stock. I still have never had a car that was that dominate. It was the total package, it was if i had a turbo button whenever i passed another car.

Biggest heartbreak races: too many to list, but the most poignant are probably 2001 Paved nats, 2003 Snowbirds, 2004 paved nats.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I remember having trouble years ago getting my car to turn right (go figure) to make the dogleg at the old Foxhill track. NORRCA Carpet Oval (don't ask) Nationals I think... One guy who ran the place often was the only other one running this new tire brand that I was. No one had heard of it. Jaco. This guy Jim Siegel, went on to help me sort out my car a little and gave some Jaco stickers for my car. (That was cool) I think he won the A main in Pro-Stock. Read about him here and there and thought that it was really cool of him to help me like that. We had a brainstorm some years later to race at a little track we had seen in Nashua N.H., Hobby ETC. I ran into him again. I could do no wrong and beat him and all of his fellow racers that night and left them with a new track record in Pro Stock. I think I even got a chance to help him that night.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Another would be one of the first races my brother and I ever went to......In Lapraire Quebec. I was 9 I raced Pancar (Cascar). My Brother was 7 he raced gearbox with a Kangaroo! They had trophies for the top 3. For some reason they didn't have a trophy for his third place in the E Main. Dan Flag (Drapeau) gave him his 1st A-Main trophy. My brother was floored! I was pissed:)

·
Registered
479 Posts
The most fun I ever had was after the offroad race a couple of buddies of mine asked me if I wanted to race some legend cars on the concrete banked oval.The place has a high banked oval and an offroad track..I love oval I race 4 cell stk. at an indoor carpet track across town.And I have raced a bunch on high banked concrete oval but never the legend cars.WOW!!!! It was a blast! one wrong move and you are into the wall.They handed me a car and a radio and batts.There were five of us.Whoever could hold it on the track for 4 minites was the best.I never new how much fun the things could be.They were'nt really that slow considering how unstuck they were .I would love to see Katfish,Arnie Fie ,Donnie Logan,just to name a few of the (bigdogs) run legends inna bigtime race ...like say the Snowbirds lol ...that would be FuN to watch!!!! it could happen...lmao well these are the thought s that popped into my head after sittin on da think tank......:hat:

·
Registered
891 Posts
The best race I ever went to was the 1996 velodrme nationals at indianapolis around 300 entries 150 6 cell stock around 90 6 cell modified ,with many big guns there this was when oval was big my son Bill tqed stock and modified went on to win stock,and had mod won too when the center shock came loose ,great oval racing by all that were there.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i'm going to add to this. we are blessed in florida with great weather and great racers. and some super tracks to race at, not to mention we have mike boylan. (master promoter) this was my first year and trying my hand at organizing a series for the oval racers. i asked these questions to get a better grip on what makes a race great? i have my own ideas after racing for over 18 years with several different types of cars. i wanted to read if my thoughts were the same as all of yours. i never had to win a race to have a good time,i would have quit racing 17 years ago if i had to win to have fun.lol.

i have now found that there is feeling better than winning any r/c race and it's alot more work! man it's fun to walk through the pits when the racers are having fun at a event you are hosting! it's a much bigger rush than i imagined. but the reverse can be said when you fail to pull off a quality program! i love oval racing and i think florida has a nice chunk of talented drivers. i made so many good friends racing oval over the years that i figure it's time to pay it forward. keep the stories coming i'm reading them all and taking notes,lol. for the most part most of you didn't win the race to have it be your favorite? kinda what i thought..

and my name does not belong with arnie and the rest of those guys,lol. i'm small time joe local racer. those guys have more talent in the tooth brush than i do behind a wheel,lol. i think we all know a quality race program when we see it? i'm striving to make every state race the same, quality. it is a up hill battle sometimes. one day in the future i hope to attract someone like a arnie fie to travel down to florida to race head to head with floridas best. thanks for your stories guys,even yours todd! lol j/k he he billy bruce wants me to come up to VA to race some sprint mod ..i may come stink up your r/v .... he he he cya

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey Kat u belong up there with the best with the great attitude you have towards the hobby...I follow these threads a good bit and your always inna upbeat mood even when things get rough on here...you dont always have be winning every race to be a winner...nuff said.. back to posting our best day of racing we ever had....BTW today might have prolly been one of the most fun races I ever had lol:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
St roch hands down, with the reedy U.S. open race in Mass. a close second.
Winterblast of old with 500 entries was also a good one, much like the Snowbirds race is today.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts