Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that's been plaguing me about the assembly and painting of the Fine Molds TIE Fighter kit.

Should I assemble the framework on the panel and then paint or should I paint and then assemble?

It's a complicated piece for sure.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm all for doing as you say but what about the areas where the frames glue to? Sand off the paint?

And are the solar panels just black?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'd advise just sticking some bits of tape along the areas where the frame will glue down. As far as color, maybe a very dark gray as the base color, followed by a pure black wash to bring out the detail.

Also, paint the edges of the solar panels the same color as the frames & main hull.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
For my MPC X-1, I painted the entire wing satin black, waited several days, blue taped the whole, snugged the tape into the recesses with a dull toothpick, xacto'd the edges as tight as possible, pulled the 'frame' tape away and painted gray -modelmaster something. When I pulled the wing mask off later, it could not have been more perfect. WIll be doing this for my ertl and Mensaboy TIE's when I get those to that point. It worked very well.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I painted mine in seperate pieces then assembled it. The Fine Molds kits lines are so crisp it doesn't look bad at all. I did Tamiya Matt Black on the solar array and the framework in a ModelMaster Grey of some shade. I washed all the grey areas with some very dilluted flat black. This kit assembles like a dream. I was very impressed with it for such a tiny little thing! I'm going to be starting on the big Ertl Vader Tie soon. Did Ertl make a regular Tie as well?

My artist side likes the hard contrasting lines and colors! I left the edge black! I really love this kit!

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Did Ertl make a regular Tie as well?

Around 1997 or so. You get a pair per box. ~1/50 scale. Wings ~6" tall.

OOB Review: 1997 ERTL TIE Fighters

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I painted and assembled mine too, only thing I'd add is to go real light on your paint, the pieces fit together so tightly too thick a coat will screw up the fit.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you guys rule, y'know it?

thanks a million!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I'm all for doing as you say but what about the areas where the frames glue to? Sand off the paint?

And are the solar panels just black?
Mage,
I've done TIEs where I painted the panels black, the a lite dusting of Metallic Blue. It gives the irridecent (sp) shine of solar panels.

MM is right, tho. paint everything, then mask the panels and paint the framework

1 - 10 of 10 Posts