Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! what are some of the best kits you have found that are loaded with goodies, greebolies, doodads and neeto parts for scratch building?

Two that I think have really cool parts are the AMT AMTRONIC and the Star Wars Stap Droid with that funky flight weapon thingy. I know there are more but thats what I can think of right now.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Any of them that I have hanging and decide to take a nose dive into the floor or any that the 3 year old decides to get a hold of. Either way they are pretty well trashed and go into the parts box. Last week it was a 1/48 SU-27 Flanker.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aw yes the Parts box or boxes....the Model kit graveyard.

A moment of silence.....

·
Registered
982 Posts
Newton law is very hard on model kits especially when the kits were made 10 years ago...........

Steph

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I havent really thought about kits to use but I find that the best place for greaddles, odds, ends and dodadds is the Dollar Stores. Also I always find good stuff at flea markets.

Travis

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now see Boys and Girls! Travis is on to something!

I'll need to keep that in mind.

Another GREAT place is something in our neck of the woods called 'The Creation Station' its a small shop filled with all kinds of factory and medical left overs, misc paper products, magnets, chrome and colored tapes on large reels that you grab waht you need, colored masking taes, lab stuff like testubes, rubber tubes, wall, floor, product samples etc etc..... They rent out the back room for children partys and give them stuff to build things with. Its a SCRATCH BUILDERS dream come true!

there might be something simular in your area?......look under childrens stuff...or crafts?

Qtan and I sometimes go there ( its right around the corner from the Hobby shop....very convenient ) and if we are not already looking for parts needed....new project ideas are easily found!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I need a place like that!!! It's funny the other day I bought a manual breast milk pump from a thrift store (still sealled in package) for a quarter and I felt weird buying it... I swear the woman was looking at me and then my man teets and was wondering how I was planning on spending my tuesday night. :)

Travis

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Dude, I'm...not going there. :eek:

I don't know about what kit has lots of greeblies, but if'n ya wants really cool shapes and details, try the LIS movie robot. First thing I thought when I opened it up was that parts of it could be used for a cool sci-fi battle craft.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Travis.....what are you doing Tuesday night?....;)

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yummy!! :eek: .....Will there be cookies too?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MIlk!

It does the body good!

·
Registered
192 Posts
sorry to change the subject, old airplane kits snagged from the thrift store, and the pod racer kit is a goldmine. my favorite seems to be gumball machines though. I'm always working on some 50's style spaceship that needs lots of domed shapes......fishing bobbers too, and don't forget the cheap plastic xmas ornaments from hob-blob. the best of late has been some big plastic champaign glasses that are turning into a 50's rocket ship............now wheres my milk?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sorry I didn't expect the milk comments to run amuck! Hey fluke I am available Tuesdays! :)

Anyways I haven't done much "kitbashing" per say, well not as scratchbuilding goes. But I have totes full of odds and ends that I could eventually use. Better to have stuff when you need it, then to need it and have look for it.

Travis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts