Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best dirt oval car? custom works? losi slider? losi li8ght? dynotech? exotec? klien? havoc? i know there are many more. i have sliders, a li8ght, and some oval buggie conversions that all handle very well. thanks poraudi

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I don't think any particular oval car is the best. I've only owned a few, but every one has its own advantages and disadvantages that vary from track to track.

Right now though, I'd have to say my favorite is the JRC Terminator. Easiest car to setup and drive that I've ever owned in the few years I've been involved in this hobby.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks steve i haven't heard of the jrc termininator. its a broad question with many things to cosider. perhaps a better question- what car is winning the most at big races??
poraudi

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
That new Custom Works Rocket swept the top three qualifying and finish positions at a big race they had in Illinois last month.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
west coast

thanks steve i'm in the west coast sf bay area. don't have any near oval tracks. so all i hear about are the east coast tracks. i have a custom works enforcer. works very good. almost as fast as my li8ght. custom works seems the most popular.
poraudi

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
thanks steve i'm in the west coast sf bay area. don't have any near oval tracks. so all i hear about are the east coast tracks. i have a custom works enforcer. works very good. almost as fast as my li8ght. custom works seems the most popular.
poraudi
We have a track in oakly,and one in union city. Lm Cw int se is the dominent car,as well as JRC cars,and CW sprint cars,both gbx and dd are both good,we run 13.5's in the classes,we also have a gearbox edm class that is growing as well using b4 based cars to keep costs down.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
EDM class GROWING out on the WEST COAST. Hear that, guys?

Koz, have any suggestions on how to help build an EDM class here? It's pretty popular in neighboring states and there are enough people around dedicated to dirt oval here, but for some reason, it's not happening.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts

Koz, have any suggestions on how to help build an EDM class here? It's pretty popular in neighboring states and there are enough people around dedicated to dirt oval here, but for some reason, it's not happening.
We have ran the big dollar cars in the edm class,but it is working out better using b4 based cars ,cost wise and it slows them down just a tad on our smaller track,plus it seems every one either has an older offroad car or knows someone that has one for cheap,you can build a b4 based edm with a 13.5 for under 300.. bucks, shopping around,for good used stuff.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Hyperdrive Havoc. Its a Terminator based car and a couple hundred bucks cheaper than all the rest. Multi-time US Open Wheel Champion!

Shoot me an Email at [email protected] and I'd be glad to discuss any questions you may have. I have raced dirt oval for nearly 20 years and have owned or used almost every dirt oval car out there.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
perhaps a better question- what car is winning the most at big races??
poraudi
Putnam cars have dominated the big races , little races and everything in between since their introduction, and continue to do so today. :thumbsup:

You can't fake results...;)

Feel free to contact me at the shop M-F, 9-5 EST.

Thanks,
Todd Putnam
518-452-0422

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Lot's of good cars out there... keep your eyes open... T2C has a new car coming out and everything I have seen and heard so far, sounds like this car may be the one to have.

·
Premium Member
8,393 Posts

All you need to do is get 3 or 4 guys to commit to racing them and stick with it till it takes off and it will. But the key is being consistant with running them. Maybe it is time to get the guys together Steve that have been talking about it and say, "time for some action".

I am a Custom Works dealer and am willing to work with guys on price to keep the cost as low as it can get, that always helps too.

Duke

Duke

·
Registered
901 Posts
This is a loaded question there are some great cars out there right now, Custom Works, JRC, Hyperdrive, Putnam. They all work you just have to find the car that suits your driving style. Any of these cars can ,will and have won big races its just not the car. You need to find the one that fits your style and your budget. Good luck and have fun dirt oval racing is the most competitive Rc racing going on right now!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey koz, i knew there was an off road track in brentwood but not oakley. do they have an oval track? i went to the oval track in fremont by frys, nice track. but i heard it closed. did it close? and i know about the off road track in union city, i think it's Nor Cal. do they have an oval? i have a nice size oval and off road track at my house. in fremont alot of the guys ran custom works. i'm just looking for an edge. i have a cw enforcer.

·
Registered
525 Posts
this might sound wrong but its ment to be positive. custom works se is a great way to get into sport. cost is real low. and alot of people have been running custom works and u can get some good results. the putnam i have to say has been a great car and u cant beat the support. when i first decided to run nitro not only did he help me out with the car he was there at my pit table and with me on driver stand helping get me adjusted to the way it works over elec for a whole race. cant beat 1 on 1 support for all his cars. might cost more but the support and capablitys of the car will make it more of a investment into the hobby than a way to get into it cheap. just some food for thought.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Simple answer to the question. Putnam cars are the best, a little more money then some but I would buy a used Putnam car before a new anything else. And Todd will spend the time with you to make it work, Todds been racing and winning since the first battery was invented.....:tongue: Any questions call him up, he has used cars all the time for sale if its a money thing.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The real question is where will you be running? Loose dirt? Packed clay? Buggy tire or foam? Those questions will make a big difference in the car you need to look at?

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
i like alot of the cars out. ill say that the putnams seem to win a good share of the races. but with the talent of drivers that run the cars im sure thats a huge help also. but the geometry is right thats for sure!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts