Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion what is the best bang for the buck for competitive racing?

I and a few other people are looking to stock up for the next series at our track and major races and like to get a good batch of batteries that are reasonably priced?

I know of these major players:

SMC
Pro-match
Power Push
Surge
Kietix
Hurricane
Novak
Trinity

We are mostly racing 1/12 scale and tc carpet - large track.

Post what you like and why and what you paid - not looking for beater bashing packs, just competitve racing packs and 3300 - do not care about 3600s - cannot run them anyways nor do I want too.

Thanks

I am leaning toward Kinetix or Surge - for price and numbers.

·
Registered
530 Posts
my favorite packs of all is the Orion/Peak packs. i had had kinetix, SMC, pro-match, WorldClass, and Orion since the GP 3300s have been out and the new Orions are by far superior. they use a completely custom built matcher from Competition electronics. every pack i have is 1.185 or up, the highest being a 1.195. one of my friends ordered 4 packs from Stormer a few weeks ago and all of them are 1.192 or up, the highest being a 1.198. Orion SP2's are out now, they are supposed to be even better.

I paid $65 a pack through Tower Hobbies about 3 months ago. since then, our local track has started carrying Orion packs (and had been carrying SMC for years) and their SMC packs they stock are just sitting there.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
dgraham225 said:
my favorite packs of all is the Orion/Peak packs. i had had kinetix, SMC, pro-match, WorldClass, and Orion since the GP 3300s have been out and the new Orions are by far superior. they use a completely custom built matcher from Competition electronics. every pack i have is 1.185 or up, the highest being a 1.195. one of my friends ordered 4 packs from Stormer a few weeks ago and all of them are 1.192 or up, the highest being a 1.198. Orion SP2's are out now, they are supposed to be even better.

I paid $65 a pack through Tower Hobbies about 3 months ago. since then, our local track has started carrying Orion packs (and had been carrying SMC for years) and their SMC packs they stock are just sitting there.
If you are looking to compair numbers, you can't compair orion's numbers to the rest... look real close at the lable they are matched to .85 instead of .90 like the rest, Nothing wrong with doing this but you will see much higher numbers.
As for what i run SMC they seem to be the most reliable and last a long time, But just about all you have listed i have ran and never had a problem with so if you are looking at price just go with the cheapest

·
Registered
530 Posts
even still, i dont really compare numbers as much as i do track performance. i have had some of the best packs from other companies and none of them compared to these. this is just my opinion though, someone else may have some really bada$$ packs from SMC or any other company that are better than mine, it just depends on what you can get your hands on. but for the $65 you pay for the Orion SP's, they cant be beat in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
All cells these days are fairly close they all come from the same place and 99% of the matchers use T-matchers,.it's the process that varies,.zapping,number of cycles etc.. stick with a reputable matcher,..SMC,PRO-MATCH or KC Racing. I pearsonally use KC's stuff,. great cells great price great people,..

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
TEAM ONE HEFTY CELLS.... at the recent paved oval nats they tq'd all but one class..and won 3 of them.....hefty cells , have been in almost every a main at every national level race in recent memory... including last years snow birds..

email me at [email protected] ill get you the email for the matcher corey heft.... i guarentee he will give u the best bang for your buck.. and as far as good packs.. its all ive run for years.. i wont run anything else...

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I don't know Frank P. but he is correct from what Ive seen of the GP3300's.

I've seen several good sources SMC, KCRacing, Pro-Match are popular on the West Coast, I myself use KMR Batteries out of Phoenix Arizona. Very well priced, and very competitive numbers.

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Give Spec Point Concepts a try. He is a local guy but I have heard NOTHING but good comments from his cells from everyone that buys them. And for the price, they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I Have been using Smc cells since he first started macthing cells in the early 90's! I have never had a problem with them, Only time I have had a problem with them is when the person that charges them! Charges them at to high of a rate and they vent! And that sucks when you vent a really good pack! Anyways I use both Smc And for the past season have been using Racedayrc cells! Both cells are strong and I race stock, and once in a while open mod. The prices a very fair from my local hobby shop. I think for his web page www.racedayrc.com they are going from $37.00- $47.00 dollars depending if you want world packs or the best he has which or the 1%..ers! These prices are for the four cell packs, the sixers are a lttle bit more!

Later pSYcHo AlIen....

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
Amen Brett...
If you ask any of the top Oval racers in the country, we've all been matching and cycling packs at 35 amps since CE introduced their first Turbo 35...(since the 2400 days). Now that TQ is actually matching at 35 amps, it eliminates us having to rematch the 30 amp cells we would get from our battery guys at 35 amps on our own...

A wise man once said,"The cheapest deal isn't aways the best deal..."

Hope this helps... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
rctazmanmc said:
In your opinion what is the best bang for the buck for competitive racing?

I and a few other people are looking to stock up for the next series at our track and major races and like to get a good batch of batteries that are reasonably priced?

I know of these major players:

SMC
Pro-match
Power Push
Surge
Kietix
Hurricane
Novak
Trinity

We are mostly racing 1/12 scale and tc carpet - large track.

Post what you like and why and what you paid - not looking for beater bashing packs, just competitve racing packs and 3300 - do not care about 3600s - cannot run them anyways nor do I want too.

Thanks

I am leaning toward Kinetix or Surge - for price and numbers.
I can assure you our cells pack serious performance for the money. We are the only battery matcher on the planet that utilizes the HIPM zapping system. This prolongs the 'punch' of our cells, and does not destroy runtime like high voltage capacitance systems.

Don't be fooled some of the companies that are boasting 1.185+ numbers. Closely compare the values which they utilized during the matching process to obtain those numbers - I am quite positive that if you do this, you'll be highly annoyed by the truth, because in all actuality these cells are probably nothing more then mid to high 1.17's. Too many battery companies are completely and utterly dishonest and will do anything to make their cells look better in an attempt to make the sale.

Ask your battery matcher for:

Discharge end time - Should be a full run of 5000 seconds
Discharge cutoff voltage - Should be .90 or lower
Discharge amperage - Should be 30 or 35 amps
Charge amperage Should be 5 or 6 amps

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,
Gary F. Huber
Surge Battery Matching
'Resistance is Futile'
www.surgebatterymatching.com

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have bought all three brands of batteries from Lefthander-RC and I can not really say anything bad about any of them. I recently bought a pack of KC cells from Jeff and they seem to be really good. I think the KC cells are a really good buy for the money. I buy all my batteries from Jeff and he has treated me right. I like the Whiplash cells the best but they are a tade higher in price for the top numbers but there worth it to me. If you want good cells for the price you really can not go wrong on any of the batteries Jeff handles, and the service Jeff provides is second to none.
The best thing about buying batteries from Jeff is that he carries three different matchers batteries and they are all good matchers so if you can not get the numbers you want from brand A you can go to brand B or C and get the numbers you want. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Fukuyama packs are real good. I have been running 4 packs for 5 or 6 months and just set a NEW TRACK RECORD at are local track with those packs.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've been using Pro Match cells since he started, they have done me well always. Service is the name of their game.

Try them you'll like them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts