Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to replace the crankshaft oil seal on a 14 HP B&S vertical shaft engine mounted on a riding lawn mower. There is a single pulley attached to the shaft for the drive & mower belts. Since this is a 12 yr old mower I suspect I will have a hell of a time getting the pulley off the shaft w/ just a puller. Any ideas in advance on how to make the job easier?
Thanks in advance
Hoser

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
It may slide right off ;) but then again it might not. Remove the mounting bolt and spray some lubricant up in around where the shaft is and let it sit. If you have an impact hammer I would try that as the vibrations work pretty good at getting them loose, or you might try tapping on the side with a hammer and tapping downward on the lower pulley to see if it will come off. Any kind of puller will most likely damage the pulley, and sometimes you just end up destroying the pulley assembly getting them off.

Good Luck :wave:

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Pulley 101

Use a good penetrant overnight and respray periodically. Hose that baby down over and under if possible! Clean the shaft your trying to pull over with some sandpaper or at least a wire brush. A "split yoke" bearing puller works best if you can squeeze it behind. Like 30 Year said, I would avoid a jaw type puller and killing the pulley. Sometimes a gentle heat helps and the obligatory respray. Wait for things to cool or pop. If you feel the need to whack it, use a copper or aluminum hammer. Most garden variety pulleys are cast and quite brittle. Patience is the key; spray, tap-tap, heat, repeat as many times as necessary. You wont have one, but I always check for an additional keeper on the keyway like a hidden Allen or a Square head.

·
Registered
609 Posts
you can drill two holes about an inch and a half out from the shaft hole in the pully and use a long bolt with a nut on the bottom side of the flat home made puller woks good some of these pullys are 40 to 60 bucks , leave the bolt in the crankshaft just loosen it up about 5 good turns , some times what happens the key slot will wear and the key will roll over a little and it makes it a pain , i have ahd to grind them off b-4 like he said Patience, what kind of mower is it ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts