Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would the old belt drive system that hd produced back in the day.. work on todays cars? i had heard that the belts were prone to shearing the teeth off the belt or coming off all together. with brushless motors being more efficient than brushed motors... wondering if the belt drive would work? :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
I think it would work but I still believe the gear set up we use now is the most efficient. With belts you have to deal with tension, too loose and it skips teeth and slaps, too tight and it binds. Belts stretch and it's not as noticable as wear on a gear. On top of all that there is a lot more "stuff" spinning and moving increasing the total rotating mass. A belt is also prone to trapping debris between the belt and the cogs causing slippage and premature wear and it can just plain fly off if it gets something big enough under it. It's a cool concept but not the best idea if you want to go as fast as you can efficiently as you can.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
not even mentioning the availabilty of gears for the belt drive. Best to stick with what you can buy off the wall at the hobby shop:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts