Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No answers, no phone call returns, and ten will get you twenty PL will just be another competitor removed in a space of time with a bb that is left to rot away with time. The good times were VERY good. The boss got his money, we got our AURORA kits and that's more than I ever hoped for! That's why I bought two of everything! Nothing this good ever lasts. The great unwashed can now go home...Will the last remaining skeleton employee turn out the lights (along with Cap America..) Gone with LAPCO!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why? Because I'm not bitchin as you put it.. merely observing my own experience in a public domain. That is until they decide we are unprofitable and shut us down. You, along with me...scary, isn't it?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
THRUSH Central said:
The good times were VERY good. The boss got his money, we got our AURORA kits and that's more than I ever hoped for!
Yes, they were good times and more than I ever hoped for too. I think this is a good attitude for us Aurora and figure kit fans to try to maintain because what's done is done and no amount of bitching is going to change it. I can't speak to Star Trek because I don't build those kits but PL was largely responsible for a great second childhood for this Aurora fan and I'm more than satisfied with what they provided - and I really don't think there were too many viable Aurora repops left to tell you the truth.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zorro - You're sooooo right! PL was probably done with almost all that were available and/or relatively easy to procure and produce. It was so good and I LOVED every fun moment of anticipating the next AURORA repop. I don't do ST kits either. Too sterile and impersonal for my tastes but give me a good figure kit and...ahhhhh, so nice. I got part of my childhood to relive over again. A very rare experience for any generation. (Place nostalgic moment here)

·
Registered
576 Posts
...PL was largely responsible for a great second childhood for this Aurora fan and I'm more than satisfied with what they provided - and I really don't think there were too many viable Aurora repops left to tell you the truth.
I agree and I'm also very happy for the kits that fill my closet and shelves because of what PL was able to produce.

It's ironic, isn't it, that what happened to Aurora (being purchased and eventually closed by a larger corporation), may wind up being the same thing that happens to PL.

I will never forget getting a call from Tom Lowe long before they put out their first two Aurora repops. He asked me if I was interested in building test shots of the Mummy's Chariot and the Addams Family House and giving him feedback. Those two kits - as we know - were eventually released through FAO and then kit after kit made it to store shelves. Up until that time, the only thing most of us could hope for were resin repops of some of those very same kits. There was nothing like seeing the original box art with a new styrene kit inside of the same kits I'd had as a kid.

It's too bad PL couldn't have received more of a fan fare, but at least they were able to accomplish what they accomplished. I'm extremely glad of that.

- Fred

·
Oxidation Genius
31,226 Posts
I'm grateful for the Seaview and Spindrift repops - two of my youthful faves - and especially happy for the inclusion of the old Auruora-style stand with the Spindrift and the Batplane (at my suggestion too, I believe)! I've always said it was the coolest-looking stand ever created for spaceship and airplane models, and I bought a bunch of extra kits just to have extra stands. Now the shelf over my TV features the Flying Sub, 2001 shuttle, BG Viper, Buck Rogers fighter and Spindrift, all on Aurora stands.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
as hesitant as i am to add to one of these threads anymore, im reminded of a situation in another industry which might be paralell to this. so before you guys start carving pl's tombstone you might want to bear this in mind.

there once were 2 halloween costume companies, one large, the other huge. as will happen, the huge one bought the large one (which was a little surprising, because the purchased company's name was better known, and most folks assumed it was the larger of the two) once the dust settled, the purchased company had changed behind the scenes dramatically, however you'd never know that looking at their catalog. redundant management (except for the creative dept.) was cut out and stuff like warehousing and manufacturing was consolidated (with some from each company). now when i call this company to place orders, the president of the company answers the phone herself, whereas in the old days id have had to have gone thru a couple layers of the company before speaking to her... so very obviously they are running on a skeleton crew as well. however their catalog remained just as large, and they still produce great new items, some of which are in direct competition with their parent companys products.

i was speaking just this week with the president of another company that was simalarly purchased by that same huge manufacturer. and in just the same way, redundant management, manufacturing, and facilities were consolidated. his company remains autonomous from the parent company, and he enjoys the fact that he's now far more free to concentrate on product development ("the fun part") and sales, and doesnt have to worry about shipping, warehousing, etc. anymore. and simalrly it took time for the dust to settle and things to get reorganized.

now i'd like to point out that i have a long history with this parent company. "warm and fuzzy" are not words that spring to mind when thinking of them. neither is "stupid". if they bought a company that was filling a niche market and was making a good profit percentage doing so, they wouldn't dream of stopping it from making money for them.

my point is that we dont know what will happen with this transition. we are outsiders looking in, and all the speculation in the world wont give us any answers. all of this bashing (and that is what it is, no matter how some try to excuse it) is just self flaggelation. (theres a couple members of the board who seem real prone to this, but thats another matter.) the best thing we can do is purchase the currently offered pl kits, so that the hobby retailers have to reorder them and demonstrate to the parent company that this is indeed profitable and should continue.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
:) Hey Thrush. . .Did you call on a Saturday?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
It's simply too early to write an obituary. Expect things to be different, expect changes. Remember that RC has deeper pockets than PL ever did. But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. It was Twain that said "Reports of my demise have been greatly exagerated."

All this whining does no one any good, and actually reflects poorly upon the individuals doing it.

Steve

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I think everyone's trying to find that balance between what they want to happen and what will happen.

We all want PL to continue as it was, just paying rent to a new landlord. Realistically though, the "landlord" has a history of only being concerned with the end result of filling its own pockets, and not the needs or abilities of the tenants providing the means to do so.

Ever see the movie "THX-1138"? That's how a lot of people view RC2. Employees and consumers are cattle to them...a means to an end.

We don't want PL to become just another company swallowed up by corporate greed.

·
Registered
576 Posts
... We all want PL to continue as it was, just paying rent to a new landlord. Realistically though, the "landlord" has a history of only being concerned with the end result of filling its own pockets, and not the needs or abilities of the tenants providing the means to do so.
I would agree with that assessment. Regarding PL and the open-ended question mark hovering near it, I don't consider myself to be whining. I'm simply thinking out loud. It's difficult to not make any type of judgement based upon what's already taken place with PL.

Of course, time will tell and will reveal everything. Whether any of us is right or wrong about what may be coming down the pike will have absolutely no bearing on anything.

I doubt that Trek kits will be be shelved and I don't think Captain America will NOT see the light of day, but both of these are simply my guesses. Either way, it's been a great run for PL and as I have said previously, I'm extremely glad I have what I have from them. I could never have afforded to purchase original Aurora issues of the Batboat, Batplane or Batcycle or just about any of the others that I now have and can build at my leisure. I'm extremely grateful for what Tom Lowe and company accomplished for all of us modelers.

- Fred

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Steve - Carping/ whining IS different than speculation and observation and as this IS still a free society and this is a public bulletin board if there is something you want to say, you know how to reach me. Taking cheap shots at fellow boardmembers to make yourself look better is so beneath you.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I think a great way for RC2 to end the rumours and win over all of us Polar Lights loyalists would be to do something really bold right out of the gate. May I suggest repopping something even Polar Lights shied away from. Namely: Big Franky. (And, no, I'm not kidding!) :thumbsup:

·
Oxidation Genius
31,226 Posts
Dammit man, this is the internet! Whining is what Al Gore invented it for!!

·
I make movies
2,575 Posts
I don't think discussing this reflects badly on anyone, especially since this hobby has a history of being burned by RC2. And its not whining, that's just not fair. I think a lot of people are genuinely and correctly upset about the situation--not only for what we have to lose, but also for the good people at PL who did so many wonderful things for the hobby who have now lost their jobs.

So far RC2 is living up to our worst expectations. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.