Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out of RC since '96 to '97 and a lot has changed since then. I used to race carpet oval and concrete oval, and was actually the ROAR Alabama State oval champ in the stock class. Anyways, the 'hot' cars back then were the Associated RC10L and 10LSS (narrow) as well as Hyperdrive, Woods and maybe a few others. I had a RC10L with the Composite Craft LHD conversion and it was sick on a flat carpet track :thumbsup:

Anyways, what is the top-of-the-line car nowadays? Seems like there are still quite a few manufacturers making them, as well as Associated still has a version of the 10L (forgot the name though). Just curious as I may get back into it soon :)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
If you talk to 10 people they wil give you 10 different answers. Right now 4 cell racing is what most places are doing. Associated still makes a chassis but it is a little oudated but it still works. Custom Works, Hyperdrive, KSG, plus a lot of small garage/basement cars in small prodution numbers are out there too. Best thing you can do is see what your local track has running and stick with that that way you have access to parts and setup help.

You can get a lot of setup help here if you look at the oval product support page.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
KSG
Maverick
Hyperdrive
Silva L4o conversion
Custom Works
Leading Edge L40 conversion
RIP
Darkside

They make the chassies solid and sliders now.

good luck

Jake

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
RAPTOR motorsports would be a great choice as well parts made right here in bama. so partS avilability is goOd since i live like 1 1/2 hours away from ya.and to top that i will bring ya a car to run if you want to try it out. PM ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
DSaw78 said:
Thanks guys. What is a slider? Does that have something to do with the battery placement?
the battery trey slides good for tuning adjustment to make the car turn in or off the corner better

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Just chose this Manufacturer because the pictures are really good. Thanks Hyperdrive!

SLIDER.

Solid.

Notice the area where the battery sets. In the top image, the area (tray) can slide front to back.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
06 Snowbirds

STOCK "A" Main

Alan Behler RIP 53 4:03.90
Steve Downs KSG 53 4:04.23
Michael Lively Custom Works 52 4:01.27

Sportsman 19 "A Main

Barry Hill Hyperdrive 57 4:00.29
Mike Bush n/a 57 4:00.85
Michael Bednar n/a 57 4:02.33

Expert 19 "A Main

Rick Talbot KSG 59 4:00.70
Brian Ziegler n/a 58 4:01.95
Corey Heft n/a 58 4:01.99

Pro MOD "A" Main

Greg Honeycutt Silva X-Factor4 67 4:03.76
Monti Panzica Silva X-Factor4 66 4:00.97
Daryl Silva Silva X-Factor4 66 4:01.29

6 cell "FACTORY" Mod "A" Main

Monti Panzica Silva X-Factor4 68 4:02.62
Brian Ziegler Associated 66 4:01.27
Pete DAgnolo KSG 65 4:01.10

I think if you look at ALL the 1/10th oval results from last years 'Birds, you'll see almost a different chassis won EACH Class. The ProMod top 3 sweep with the SILVA X-Factor was impressive however.

ALL These cars are great in the hands of the right drivers.

Run the one that supports your track...and you have the best access too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just curious, but I saw this on Tekin's website. Which car is this? Has a unique looking rear shock setup:

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
swtour said:
ALL These cars are great in the hands of the right drivers.

Run the one that supports your track...and you have the best access too.
This is the best advice.
Who wins what big race in what car shouldn't factor into your
decision. Because the best guys in the country could
beat 99% of the racers out there with a Frog..

Look at what is popular with the majority of fast guys
at your track, and what does your track stock a lot of...
Reasons being, you can get setup help, and parts when you need them.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Most valuable information you need is battery care now. A lot has changed since ni-cads. You need to store them 1/2 charged and not dumped or shorted. Do your home work on this issue. I would tell you myself but I am still in the lab myself figuring out whats best. My suggestion to you for cars is either RIP or Hyperdrive. Everyone seems to stock parts for these two no matter where you race. Stock motors have also changed tons. They are almost as fast as high turn mods. They do not like heat though. So watch your gearing. The new batterys are putting out very high voltage these days. Which will ruin a motor overgeared quickly. Good Luck and welcome back into the hobby.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
KDarc said:
Most valuable information you need is battery care now. A lot has changed since ni-cads. You need to store them 1/2 charged and not dumped or shorted. Do your home work on this issue. I would tell you myself but I am still in the lab myself figuring out whats best. My suggestion to you for cars is either RIP or Hyperdrive. Everyone seems to stock parts for these two no matter where you race. Stock motors have also changed tons. They are almost as fast as high turn mods. They do not like heat though. So watch your gearing. The new batterys are putting out very high voltage these days. Which will ruin a motor overgeared quickly. Good Luck and welcome back into the hobby.
That is not really what I wanted to hear :( Sounds like I have a lot of homework to do if I really wanna get back into this. I used to have a Turbo 30, but does the new 35 have the capability of doing a 1/2 charge and such by itself?

·
Registered
900 Posts
hyperdrive.....parts availiblity....now kit comes with all the stuff you'll need. not much left to upgrade.
futaba 9650 servo
tq cells for batteries.. link to left has full explanation of you to maintain cells. not really that hard to follow.
other thing new is spectrum technology...no crystals! so a radio that can use this and feels good in your hand. spectrum, futaba, airtronics,jr

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tj Towne said:
hyperdrive.....parts availiblity....now kit comes with all the stuff you'll need. not much left to upgrade.
futaba 9650 servo
tq cells for batteries.. link to left has full explanation of you to maintain cells. not really that hard to follow.
other thing new is spectrum technology...no crystals! so a radio that can use this and feels good in your hand. spectrum, futaba, airtronics,jr
I dont see a link to the left, unless im looking in the wrong place :confused:

As far as a radio goes, I used to have the old Airtronics 3PS so I will probably get the M11 as well as the Spektrum module.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
DSaw,

Don't read too much into the battery thing. The batteries of today are so AWESOME compared to those 10 years ago. A ton more voltage, actually "less" maintenance where I'm concerned...(DON'T DISCHARGE THEM AFTER YOU RUN THEM NOW)

They don't seem to have a MEMORY like old NiCad's did. I still use my packs 2 - 3 times per race day. They actually seem to feel best on the 2nd or 3rd run.

Unlike the "OLD DAYS" don't go buy 10 - 12 packs, 3 good packs, and maybe a pack or two of lesser packs for practice. Then pick up a couple new packs every 6 months or so, if the level of competition you wish to be in warrants it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah the battery situation back in the mid 90's is the main reason I got out of it. I was still in high school (part time job= not much $) and just could not afford the killer packs that the fast guys used. I could drive just as well as anyone but just didn't have the power to keep up. Nearly a $100 for 6 cells was ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts