Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Holy Crap Raytheon! That is totally freakin' sweet!! I heard "Leaving Drydock" in my head the whole time. You couls use that asa filming miniature so nicely.

Would you care to share how you did the strobe lights and such> I am a novice at this stuff but an willing to learn.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You'll probably need the xvid codec here:
http://download.divxmovies.com/XviD-1.1.2-01112006.exe
(sure Ray mean't to say this)

Mart stole the words from me...Wow simply amazing, is all I can say...if this doesnt look like the closest thing to the real thing I don't know what does. Now all you need is the da DUN...... dun DUN like in the wrath of khan when the lights are coming on. Of course it would be really cool if you had some green screen and set up a few camera's inserted a starfield and did some pan shots with the camera on a roll. Maybe its to much work but when I finish my unstarted refit I might just load up Adobe Premiere and do somthing like that (love working with video editing etc). Ray it just looks stunning though...man one of the best ones I have seen. :thumbsup:

Any tips on the lighting would be great.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Incredible job Ray!! Incredible.

·
I make movies
2,575 Posts
Holy crap!

You know you have to rip the soundtrack from TMP when they are lighting up the ship before she leaves spacdock... and sync it up to your model! That would be awesome, hahaha!

·
Premium Member
8,334 Posts
Don't guess that someone could give a detailed explanation of what the image/video is, could ya please? For those of us who can't view the site 'cause of the COMM Nazi's...? :(

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
It shows various static shots of Ian's most excellent model as the lights switch on. Indeed, the "leaving drydock" soundtrack would be appropriate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So i take it you lot sorta like it then ?.....;)

Well thanks for the words folks, just goes to show what can be done if you want to give it a whirl and don't go giving it any excuses about lacking

in skill.

If i can then so can you, afterall we all have the best modeling tool known to man and it sits very nicely in a cavity between your ears...regardless

about what some uncharitable folks in my locale have said about my brains location :D

MartinHatfield said:
*SNIP*
Would you care to share how you did the strobe lights and such> I am a novice at this stuff but an willing to learn.
Well im' no expert but it worked out kinda like this, i had a very old circuit board sitting about the place that would do both the strobes and nav in on package. It worked ok but was a bit fast in the flash rate.
Then i decided to cheat a bit and dived into one of my odds and sods boxes and found an old velleman kit i put together some time back.

This one to be precise...

I got mine here in the UK but they appear to be available in most countries.

Just linked one of the LED terminals together with no led and wired the strobes into the place where the other one would sit and powered the lot with the same 9v battery that drives the nav lights.
Job done with a nice bright flashing at around once a second.

The rest of the 'how' is on the build up pages. Failing that, some folks on this board do the electronics thing and Don's light and magic do a flasher circuit that seems to fit the bill so your not limited in the choice dept.

Griffworks said:
Don't guess that someone could give a detailed explanation of what the image/video is, could ya please? For those of us who can't view the site 'cause of the COMM Nazi's...? :(
Them COMM Nazi's are a pain aren't they. Well it's just my refit all lit up Griff. Waiting to get confiramtion that it's good to go on Youtube, assuming the CN's ain't blocked that as well, if so can you recieve a 3.4Mb email ?
If so then PM me an email addy and i'll send it if someone don't beat me to it ;)

Go easy troops and troopettes !!

*EDIT* What Steve said :)

·
Premium Member
8,334 Posts
I look forward to seeing it when I get home. I don't know if they'll allow files that big and I can't watch YouTube.com, either.

No worries tho, Ian! I appreciate the offer, tho.

·
Premium Member
8,334 Posts
With many thanks to 1711rob, I've now seen the .avi file. VERY kewel! I definitely agree that you should get the ST:TMP launch sequence music and edit it in to your footage. :thumbsup:

Sweet job on that! Worthy of a place of honor on your shelves, I hope. :)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Very nice lighting indeed! I won't diss my own abilities (based on your post above), but I don't know where I'd find the time to do such a great job on the lighting!

I'd also be interested in know the set-up you came up with for your stand, if you don't mind.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Morning all!

Fierce:
Got no problem with the 'editied from the directors cut with added audio version'. Gave me a giggle this morning :D
Thankyou :thumbsup:

DrBrad:
On the stand issue, If you mean the one she curently sits on then you'll find some details about halfway down this page.
And no, i don't mind answering questions, just ask Raist about that :) If anyone's got questions, just fire away. I've asked enough of me own over the years so no problem.

This is as long as they are not the "where were you on the night of..." type o' questions that is ;)

As to finding the time, well at some point you start and then later on you finish, i never counted the hours really so why should anyone else if they are building for themselves ?
Commissions are another matter but that's been discussed before in other threads.

Go easy all

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well if you insist Garbaron and i can tell that you do :D
Favour done, one can only hope he will like it but we'll see.

Just emailed the links to him, i'm not going to just send the fella a three and a half meg email cold without his permission.

We'll see if the bloke has time to respond, that's his perogative.
Since he don't know me from adam then it's up to him and i ain't going to go beating him over the virtual head with mega long emails if you know what i mean :)

We'll see what happens, if he responds and gives permission for me to yak about it on here then okedoke.

All good fun...kinda :D

Go easy all

·
Premium Member
8,334 Posts
I'm sure that if Mr. Probert has the time to respond, he will. He's a big-time friend to the Modeling Community and loves to see stuff like this. I had the privilge of seeing Mr. Probert at WonderFest 2005 and he was great when meeting fans while out and about, as well as both insightful and humorous when he gave his one hour session on Saturday afternoon. Quite patient w/all of the FanBoy questions lobbed his way, as well. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts