Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I don't know if it's just my own lack of skill (I haven't really built any models in the last 5-6 years) or what, but I'm getting very discouraged building the NX-01.

How far is everyone going with theirs to try and fix all the little fit and finish issues? For example, the rear of the nacelles have a pretty intricate ribbing pattern. With my kits (I bought 2), the ribs just don't line up very well. Some on them are OK, but others are off almost a whole 1mm. Also, where the pylon attaches to the nacelle doesn't work very good - there are huge seams. On the saucer, the middle sections where the individual pieces go doesn't look very good either.

None of these details show up very well in the pictures people have posted of thier finished NX-01. So I ask, how is everyone dealing with these issues?

The last few kits I built were some of the Tamiya motorcycle kits, and I don't remember having this difficult a time with them.

Any suggestions or ???

Thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
jediknight0 said:
So, I don't know if it's just my own lack of skill (I haven't really built any models in the last 5-6 years)

Any suggestions or ???

Thanks.
Well I think you just answered your own question. I have the same kit too and I haven't started it yet, but I think you may have to remove all the registration pins off of the offending misaligned parts to get them to line up. That should do the trick.
For huge gaps I use strip styrene along with any type of modeling putty.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Model building isn't an exact science. Every kit has fit and aligment problems of SOME kind. No matter how exact the blueprints may have been, plastic is pliable and sometimes bends, distorts and flexes when kit parts are pulled out of the mold. Not all of a kit's problems are because of poor design on the part of the manufacturer. Roll up your sleeves, put your thinking cap on and get creative.

That's not to say that I go looking for kits that have extensive problems, but at the same time, I don't want something that you just throw an open tube of glue in the box, shake and out pops a finished kit (Bandai Trek, anyone?) Building a kit shouldn't be just manual labor. There should be some "you" in it. Otherwise, what sets yours apart from all the ones other people have built?

Some people tend to treat their kits like Holy Grails or one-of-a-kind collectibles. If that's how you think of kits, why build? Just leave it in the plastic, put the box on the shelf and kiss it goodnight when you go to bed.

A few years ago at WonderFest during a demonstration I was doing with John Lester of Starship Modeler, I was talking about all the work I've been doing on The Star Trek Original Series Bridge. Someone asked me "Why would you put that much effort into a kit?"

I said, "Because nobody's done it. You can go to Cult's or SM and see 150 different Enterprises-pick-a-letter. They're all good work, and they're all slightly different. I have them all, and I'll get around to building them eventually, but unless I find some way to make mine uniquely 'me', it would just be one among the crowd."

I can understand not wanting to screw up a $50 kit and having to buy another one. Take a step back. Go to the dollar store or warehouse liquidators and buy a handful of kits - cars, planes, tanks, whatever interests you. Use them to practice your techniques and tools on until you feel more comfortable. When you get to where you're not afraid of puttying a seam or trimming a part down, come back to the NX. It will still be there.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Jedi,

Just picked up an NX kit myself and haven't started it yet, but nothing about the fit problems are insurmountable. Go check out some of the how-to articles on the PL BB and www.culttvman.com

A lot of the headaches have been addressed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have two, still waiting for my third model of NX-01. I have notice problems of fitting, but as Ziz stated above, your technics make building the model special. I have started my model. I of course lighting it and everthing. Its a challenge, but a fun one.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Jediknight, don't let this thing get to you. Its big and does have several araea that are trouble. First you cannot compare a PL to Tamiya, their engineering and fit is far superior. They are much more expensive which is why they are better- least thats what we are told on the BB. Next just do your best to fill, alter, re-do or go with what you got. By this point most people know that this kit is less than perfect, but you can still create a great buildup with time and patience. Don't get down with it, make it a challenge to overcome the problems, Remeber-try to please yourself and have fun with it.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Remember, if you haven't spent 90 minutes wrestling with a huge kit trying to clamp parts together and align things which make you wish you had four hands, all while screaming obscenities at the very tip top of your lungs, you can't call yourself a modeler! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts