Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to run Ni-MH battery in my car and was wondering
what should I look for in mAh numbers. Also should they be matched
cells ie: team pack etc. or does it make a difference.
Where can I buy these.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
I have 5-cell 3800 and I think 4300 ni-mh in my cars. They were loose cells to start. Most any hobby shop sells them (did).

·
Registered
325 Posts
i myself just run a 6 cell pack anywhere between 1500mha to 2200mha with a voltage regulator from tower 7.2volts to a constant 6.0volts. works fine for me i run both heats and features on one charge. most of the guys top it off in between races i probably should too.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have old 5 cell 3300's in both of my cars, they are over 5 years old, we just top them off in between races. They were matched along time ago becasue they used to be batteries I ran in my pan cars.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I am looking to run Ni-MH battery in my car and was wondering
what should I look for in mAh numbers. Also should they be matched
cells ie: team pack etc. or does it make a difference.
Where can I buy these.
Thanks
as you are not using them to actually propel the car like a pan car, a matched set is not going make a difference. but it will make a difference in how long it will be before having to buying a new pack or replacing dead cell.
as you charge and discharge them , if they are matched you won't have some cells over charged and some not fully charged. and same goes for if you discharge your pack . some cells may discharge too much and some not completely. this is the only reason i try to get a matched set. don't reallly care what the numbers are that much , just as long as its matched.
you could buy a cheap unmatched pack every year and not ever have a problem. but if you plan on using the pack for several years , your taking a chance. i have matched set that i've been using for 3years. but i have to do some extra work to make sure they stay that way. not a big deal but i've already said to myself that when they go im just going to buy some cheap ones every spring and not worry about it. either is fine just as long as you know what you have and do what is nessary after making that choice.
hope this helps. by the way i use 3800 s and sometimes i top off before the main. it depends on how much practice i've done and if i didn't make the A and may be bumping up and running several races.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
:wave:
as you are not using them to actually propel the car like a pan car, a matched set is not going make a difference. but it will make a difference in how long it will be before having to buying a new pack or replacing dead cell.
as you charge and discharge them , if they are matched you won't have some cells over charged and some not fully charged. and same goes for if you discharge your pack . some cells may discharge too much and some not completely. this is the only reason i try to get a matched set. don't reallly care what the numbers are that much , just as long as its matched.
you could buy a cheap unmatched pack every year and not ever have a problem. but if you plan on using the pack for several years , your taking a chance. i have matched set that i've been using for 3years. but i have to do some extra work to make sure they stay that way. not a big deal but i've already said to myself that when they go im just going to buy some cheap ones every spring and not worry about it. either is fine just as long as you know what you have and do what is nessary after making that choice.
hope this helps. by the way i use 3800 s and sometimes i top off before the main. it depends on how much practice i've done and if i didn't make the A and may be bumping up and running several races.
i've been selling my old lipos to my buddy and he's been using them for reciever packs with a voltage regulator. he's been buying them for about 30 bucks which is as cheap as most nimh's you'll find.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
I have old 5 cell 3300's in both of my cars, they are over 5 years old, we just top them off in between races. They were matched along time ago becasue they used to be batteries I ran in my pan cars.
Yep me too. I am starting on my third year on the same 5 cell battery pack. I purchased some 6 cell matched when the Lipo craze started, got em cheap am they are still ticking. Mine are 4600's and they will last ALL day but I always kiss them before the main with my old charger just to be safe.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Yep me too. I am starting on my third year on the same 5 cell battery pack. I purchased some 6 cell matched when the Lipo craze started, got em cheap am they are still ticking. Mine are 4600's and they will last ALL day but I always kiss them before the main with my old charger just to be safe.
Mike did you use to be a boyscout? BE PREPARED

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
What charge would be a good one to buy?
Thanks
Duratrax 959 chargers will give you the best bang for the bucks. You can get them on Da bay for less than $20.00.
I know quite a few drivers and they all use this charger.
It will charge transmitter packs as well as reciever packs.
It operates 120vac or 12vdc, output current .5 to 4 amps.
It's easy to operate and low cost, it's what I use and it's hard to beat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts