Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all expert electrical engineers or electronics gurus,

I built a Reliant kit about 8 months ago, used only SMD light tape and a 12v 8xAA battery pack to keep it going along with a push button from Radio Shack. I enclosed the battery in a black "project box".

Everything was fine, I'd turn it on from time to time until one day a month ago I noticed it got much, much dimmer. I forgot about it and then opened up the plastic base to find battery acid everywhere. Most of the batteries on the bottom of the casing were expanded and leaking.

I should note that I only turned it on for about 1 minute every week or so. Could it have been heat inside the enclosed box even if it isn't running? (we have AC so it's not like the room it's in gets that hot)

Any advice welcome as I'd like to hook up another power source and bring her back to life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when a common battery goes BAD. it does just what you see.
yes acid and heat from the acid reaction.

rebuilding time.
Thanks for responding. Since a couple batteries seemed to expand and leak does that mean my wiring would be faulty or just too much heat + bad batteries? This was my first wiring job so I'm in the dark, no pun intended.

Luckily I still have lead wire coming through my support beam so I snipped it and can always attach new wires to add a new source. I'm guessing a 12v wall plug.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,466 Posts
most likely it was BAD batteries, if it was a wiring problem. the batteries would had DIED in a couple of hours. the day you made it.

that is why the high dollar batteries cost more than standard batteries.

it has better chemicals and stronger case to hold the STUFF inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Sounds like a ground fault, check your wiring big time... If the power is crossing some where it will cause the battery to super heat and blowout, sounds like what happend... You can call me if you like, send a photo of the wiring job... Randy 1-650-568-3400 www.voodoofx.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
most likely it was BAD batteries, if it was a wiring problem. the batteries would had DIED in a couple of hours. the day you made it.

that is why the high dollar batteries cost more than standard batteries.

it has better chemicals and stronger case to hold the STUFF inside.
Sounds like a ground fault, check your wiring big time... If the power is crossing some where it will cause the battery to super heat and blowout, sounds like what happend... You can call me if you like, send a photo of the wiring job... Randy 1-650-568-3400 www.voodoofx.com
First thanks again for responding. Now that I think about it the battery pack (when testing) did get pretty hot after a short period of time so that is now leaning towards fxshop's theory unfortunately. :freak:

I'd love to show you the wiring but it's all locked up inside the Reliant and the only thing sticking out through the post are the leads. I don't think I have it in me to crack her open (It was my first kit and lit kit in decades which took me months).

I've gotten pretty good at the building part but I may just leave the electronics to someone else (like you nice site!) and try another build down the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,132 Posts
either way its also good NOT to leave batteries in things for long periods of time... weather its a bad battery or some sort of resistance, if the batteries aren't left in the item, if they burst they won't ruin it.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top