Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am trying to make an electronic disk-launcher. New to this kind of thing I do not know much about motors.
Can someone please direct me to some battery-powered motors? Also, is it possible to convert AC or DC motors to use batteries? In order to accelerate the disk, I will need two rubber wheels of some sort to attach to the motor. Are there any rubber wheels that can attach directly to the motor?

Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm gonna guess and assume that what you are trying to launch ar CDROMs? Good hunky.beefy battery-powered motors can be had at any good hobby store. I always used Mabuchi for my disc launchers ;-) An AC motor can be made to run on DC, but is a real hassle. You have to switch the DC on and off 60x/sec, and reverse the +/- every time the pulse crosses zero line.. it is easier just to get a fasy beefy motor, some Hi-Current NiCd or NiMh batteries, rated for 2400maH or so and a $10.00 Fast charger/recharger. For mine, I used a stubby bolt and rubber o-rings. THe bolt is a perfect drop-on fit for the center-hole of the CDROM. It has has head cut off, was chucked in a lathe and center-drilled for press (and epoxy fit) onto the gear on the end of a 6000RPM Motor, which simply spun the Bolt & CD and then dropped down to 'fire'. We used channeled-aluminum on the sides to 'guide' it off the motor shaft and into the wild-blue yonder. BE CAREFUL, These will go a mile and really hurt and can do incredible damage (slice/cut/gash/break glass/damage wood, paint, etc). I also would NOT recommend spinning them above 3600RPM as they are prone to explode/shatter and the aluminum rails only work on WHOLE, Completely round CDs. If someone gets in the way, you could get sued for criminal intent. Where did you get your plans? Can you share? THx. Brings back momories of Tennis-Ball cannons ;-)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts