Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had the numbers on the pack not match the actual numbers later. Meaning sent from a supplier(matched already), then mathced again at home. And the numbers being off. If so how important is it that the numbers are close. What would be a reasonable tolerance for voltage and run time numbers>?

·
Registered
658 Posts
The numbers will never match. They might be close but not match. The matcher who ever it is has different equipment then you or I. I have 2 turbo 30's and both of them give me different numbers on the same pack.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
It is important to be somewhat close.. when u first assemble a pack and cycle it, the num,bers will be low.. it takes a good 3-4 runs before the numbers start to show... make sure also if u are using a turbo 30, that it has the upgraded eprom chip.. if it does not, it only charges to 3000 mah.. it wont full charge the pack...

also what charge current do u use... should be the same as the matcher... and voltage cutoff ...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possibility

So its possible that it could be a different matcher and is giving different numbers. For example though if two cells that are labeled 1.176 are really 1.167 and the other two are 1.177 and are really 1.18 on the different matcher. Am i being two nit picky?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
my cells when cycled are always close or better then the labels... but i dead short.. i build the pack tray it then dead short it right away.. let it sit for a day or so then hit a cycle on it.. i like to see what it is before i run them.. then i do two to three runs on them and re cycle.. most of my lables say 1.178+ and when i cycle them they come out 1.18+ average ... i only run one brand... being off i full point can be the difference from your machine to theres... how have packs in the past come out??? what turbo do u use..

J

·
0 Posts
I never had a pack that match the numbers on the label even only after 1 race day. Matchers do exagerate to say the least. Their machines are far different(Turbo matcher 6)....software differ from the ones we have on our TC35 or GFX. They even say they have "temperature controlled" environment. I sure don't have a room like that !!!!! I do have an air-conditioner tho LMAO. What I do is buy 2-3 packs. Use them for 1 race. Un-assemble them. Re-match them using "single cell" holder on my TC35, very time consuming I warn you. Then I go by what numbers I get & put them together again. Do this every 3 months or so (depending on my wallet). Whew............

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think my huge worry is that the labels that were on the packs dont match. I know it sounds repitive but what the hay, i pay for the numbers.

J

·
0 Posts
There are matchers that will give you very close numbers between cells if you requested certain numbers. It all depends on which numbers you want to use. mah, ave. voltage, IR, etc...You want to be within 2-3 points/digits or however you want to call it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Most of the matchers match each pack by RUN TIME and not voltage. Some companies give false numbers. Stick to the big names like SMC. Dannys stuff is like no other. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
The numbers you see on the labels printed by the Turbomatchers will *NEVER* match the numbers you get when you cycle them.

There are a couple reasons for this:

1) The Turbo 35/GFX have a 15-second delay from the charge peak until the discharge starts -- the Turbomatchers do not have this delay.

2) When you get brand new packs, you have no idea how long it's been since each cell was labeled -- a couple might have been a few days ago, while others may have been a couple weeks ago.

It's probably never a good idea to cycle cells right when you get them or right after you assemble the pack -- you need to get a couple of on-track runs on them then maybe take a look at the cycle numbers. But honestly, I never cycle my stuff unless I have a run where it felt like the battery really fell of badly. If you stick with the trusted high-quality matchers, the performance shouldn't really ever be an issue.

If the pack feels really soft or doesn't perform to your satisfaction, send it back to the matcher -- all of the "top shelf" matchers will replace a pack for you if you are not satisfied -- all of the matchers that we carry will do that -- they all stand behind what they sell.

Good racin'

Jeff.

J

·
0 Posts
JEFF:::::Good point. Shelf life of batteries do differ as well. I do the same, use it for 2-3 weekend races and check if variances between runs exist. It does take an extra TLC to keep your packs in good health.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts