Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to get everyone's input. I have both 3800's, and 4200's. I use the Trinity DPD as an equalization solution.
Question 1 - Can I take my batteries down to [email protected] 30 amps on the Turbo Thirty, then put it on the DPD to equalize them? The reason for the question is the DPD takes forever to discharge a pack after a race.

Question 2 - Should I skip the above step after a race, and just store the battery till the next time I use them (Don’t Discharge them)? Before I charge it to race, take it down on the Turbo Thirty, and equalize it on the DPD, then Charge it. I think this would get kind of crazy on race day.

Question 3 - Can I use the same technique on the 3800's 4200 SHV, and 4200 WC?

You can answer the above questions, or just tell me what you do. I left one of my batteries at .9/cell, and they false peaked so I am looking for a better way to store/discharge.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Unless you need to check runtime ,, leave pack with remaining charge untill your ready to use next week.

Then discharge to 1 volt per cell at 30 amps and equalize with your favorite unit.

Just my opinion , very simple and works great on nimh's

·
Registered
511 Posts
j dub ask dave i talked to him he said to leave after the run then when we go to use pull them down to 3.60 and then eqalize them....GO VOODOO

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
What ever you do make sure to store them with at least 600 sec of charge at 6 amps. or just store right out of the car.

Doug p

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Doug Is Right As A Mater Of Fact Doug Is Always Right After A Run In Stock Just Put Them In The Box Untill Next Week Hi Doug See Ya Sat !

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
and please don't go run home with your new cells and cycle them on a gfx at 35 amps!

cycle them on the track in a r/c car!

fact is cycle a pack only if you think it may have on track issues...

if you need to cycle packs on a gfx/turbo just to read the little numbers than you should be buying cells from another matcher..because you must not trust your current matcher. cycling cells all day on a turbo just hurts the cells.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
katf1sh said:
and please don't go run home with your new cells and cycle them on a gfx at 35 amps!

cycle them on the track in a r/c car!

fact is cycle a pack only if you think it may have on track issues...

if you need to cycle packs on a gfx/turbo just to read the little numbers than you should be buying cells from another matcher..because you must not trust your current matcher. cycling cells all day on a turbo just hurts the cells.
I can't agree more , todays nimh technology is a totally different animal than the nicad theorys of years ago.
Your first cycle on a fresh / matched pack is going to be the best of its entire life,, don't waist them looking at numbers.
Plus remember the labels were printed as individual cells and your never going to duplicate them 100% as a pack .
Last comment ---35 amp has been proven to be a better matching amperage but to put a maintainance cycle on them , 30 amps is more than sufficent.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Yes, I found out the hardway,I wanted to see how my Batteries were doing being that I run once a month.Fried a pack cycling them.Need to find out a better way to check there voltage lol

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
shrabber said:
Yes, I found out the hardway,I wanted to see how my Batteries were doing being that I run once a month.Fried a pack cycling them.Need to find out a better way to check there voltage lol
Tim I,ve been having the same problem all summer, I think the cure is to race more often? LOL

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
first off.... these cells need at least six cycles back to pack on the at 35amps discharge and 14amps charge before they are ready to run. the heatshrink should now be completely evaporated! Then run the same pack all day and do not let the cell temperature fall below 160 degrees celsius. these cells need to be double peaked before storage. now solder a short wire to each terminal.Then fill a mayonaise jar full of distilled water and drop the pack in the jar and seal the lid tight. if it doesn't corrode then it wasn't anygood anyway,lol!
disclaimer: hobbytalk and it's users cannot be held liable for damaged cells using this procedure. ofcourse u should always follow the battery manufacturer's recomendations for proper cycling procedures.
p.s. j-dub be sure to do this to the cells u use at the ovalmasters and u'll be dialed! :wave:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
What if you do run the same battery more than once on the same day? Do you need to discharge the battery on a tray, let it cool and then charge, or do you charge the battery with the residual charge left in the cells? Thanks.

-Brad

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
off the Tq site

If you're going to run the battery pack for a second time on race day
  • Just before charging the battery pack for the first run, using a tray such as the Integy 0-30 or Trinity DPD individually discharge each cells (0-30: Until the lights go dim) (DPD: Set at 1.0V per cell ... 5A linear or 30A pulse)
  • Then, charge at 6A - 5mV per cell cutoff. (4-cell=0.02 ... 6-cell=0.03)
  • Re-Peak just before going out on the track at 6A - 2mV per cell cutoff. (0.01)
  • After your run on the track, and as soon as you're back to your pit ... (pack is still warm) discharge the battery pack at 35A down to 1V per cell ... 4-cell=4.00V ... 6-cell=6.00V.
  • Let the battery pack completely cool down to room temperature (will require at least 90 minutes)
  • Then, just before re-charging the battery pack for the second run, using again a tray such as the Integy 0-30 or Trinity DPD individually discharge each cells (0-30: Until the lights go dim) (DPD: Set at 1.0V per cell ... 5A linear or 30A pulse)
  • Re-Peak just before going out on the track at 6A - 2mV per cell cutoff. (0.01)
  • After your run on the track, and as soon as you're back to your pit ... (pack is still warm) discharge the battery pack at 35A down to 1V per cell ... 4-cell=4.00V ... 6-cell=6.00V.
  • Once the battery pack has completely cooled down (can be next day), using a tray such as the Integy 0-30 or Trinity DPD individually discharge each cells (0-30: Until the lights go dim) (DPD: Set at 1.0V per cell ... 5A linear or 30A pulse)
  • Then, put approximately 300mAh of charge back in the battery pack (180 seconds @ 6A). 300mAh is sufficient capacity if you are going to run the battery pack in the following 7 days, if you know you are not running in the next 7-10 days put 600mAh (360 seconds @ 6A).
  • Let the battery pack rest in that state.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
davepull said:
off the Tq site

If you're going to run the battery pack for a second time on race day
  • Just before charging the battery pack for the first run, using a tray such as the Integy 0-30 or Trinity DPD individually discharge each cells (0-30: Until the lights go dim) (DPD: Set at 1.0V per cell ... 5A linear or 30A pulse)
  • Let the battery pack completely cool down to room temperature (will require at least 90 minutes)
  • Then, just before re-charging the battery pack for the second run, using again a tray such as the Integy 0-30 or Trinity DPD individually discharge each cells (0-30: Until the lights go dim) (DPD: Set at 1.0V per cell ... 5A linear or 30A pulse)
  • Once the battery pack has completely cooled down (can be next day), using a tray such as the Integy 0-30 or Trinity DPD individually discharge each cells (0-30: Until the lights go dim) (DPD: Set at 1.0V per cell ... 5A linear or 30A pulse)
  • Then, put approximately 300mAh of charge back in the battery pack (180 seconds @ 6A). 300mAh is sufficient capacity if you are going to run the battery pack in the following 7 days, if you know you are not running in the next 7-10 days put 600mAh (360 seconds @ 6A).
  • Let the battery pack rest in that state.

That only works on TQ cells! LOL

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
care

The other day I received and email from a battery processor discussing the care and feeding of the 4200WC's it stated somethings that are a bit different than I have seen before, what are your thoughts on what is listed below.

Charge cells at 7 amps with .02 delta and 125 F.
Runs cells( no repeak discussed)
if you are only running them once a day, remove cells from car and put back in box.

Next race day, discharge at 25 amps to 1 volt per cell

Place on tray (DPD) set at .9 per cell

Remove from tray and place in heat pad until you ready to charge

1 - 20 of 20 Posts