Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a site with pics of the Bates house interior or possibly a floor plan? I'm thinking of detailing a couple of rooms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,972 Posts
The Psycho House Yahoo group is currently down, but it is the place you are looking for. Join up and wanit for the owner's return.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Maybe I'll just rent the DVD and wing it. Too impatient, I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,972 Posts
I can warn you in advance... the sets shown will NOT fit in the exterior shown, unless you put N scale (1/160) stuff in the HO (3.5 mm./ft.) PL kit. The basement has nothing to do in either size or shape to anything fitting under and sharing walls with, the floors above.

And even if you use mini stuff, the shape of the sets does not logically fit the shape of the exterior.

Two neat things to look for in the movie... the first time Norman enters the house, the far end of the hall contains random blurry stuff with a light in front of it. The second time we see down the hall, it's a stained glass window.

As Lila Crane hides in the stairwell, look at the glass of the door. It has random smears of paint on it, to give the impression you are looking down into an area with "stuff" in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought Psycho II last night in the used DVD bin. Don't know how well that set matches the original interior, but at least I can see what color everything is. I will probably only do the rooms that I will light up, mother's room and the entry hall (upper and lower). The others can be vague gray shapes and doorways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
beeblebrox said:
I bought Psycho II last night in the used DVD bin. Don't know how well that set matches the original interior, but at least I can see what color everything is. I will probably only do the rooms that I will light up, mother's room and the entry hall (upper and lower). The others can be vague gray shapes and doorways.
I think this is the best way to approach it. It's really the ONLY way to approach putting some sort of interior into that model.

Pygar is correct- the interiors from the movie really won't fit into the exterior no matter how you squeeze it. The front hall starts out matching pretty well, but the living room (left side of the house) is much bigger on the interior set and when you start getting to the back of the house toward the kitchen, it gets even worse.

I'd concentrate on the front hall- you could probably fit all of that right where its supposed to be. The rest you'll have to 'cheat'. The biggest problem you'll run into is Mom's room- the downstairs hall runs into the upstairs hall, so it won't leave much room for mom's.

Oh, and Psycho II is probably your best reference for the interior of the house- it is featured more heavily in that movie than any of the others. And as far as I know, the sets match the original Psycho VERY closely.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Another observation about the PL Bates house kit-

The PL website states:

"For those railroad enthusiasts, this kit is 1/87 scale - perfect for HO scale railroading."

After comparing it to the studio blueprints, Its not actually true HO scale (1/87). Its actually 1/8"=1' scale (1/96).

It might be nit-picking I know, but I thought it was funny. However, the two scales are so close that it doesn't matter.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
I don't have any pictures of the real house, but I made the kit similar to how you're going to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/12Rogues/On the bench/Finished Kits/roominside.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/12Rogues/On the bench/Finished Kits/2a.jpg

I used some downloadable features from the PC game "The Sims" for the walls and floors.

You can't see the interior from the outside in the pictures, but in person you can, and it looks great.

Good luck and post pictures when your done!

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rogue1 said:
I don't have any pictures of the real house, but I made the kit similar to how you're going to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/12Rogues/On the bench/Finished Kits/roominside.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/12Rogues/On the bench/Finished Kits/2a.jpg

I used some downloadable features from the PC game "The Sims" for the walls and floors.

You can't see the interior from the outside in the pictures, but in person you can, and it looks great.

Good luck and post pictures when your done!

Brian
Thanks Rogue1, very cool pics. Don't know why I hadn't thought of printing off the entire wall detail. Guess my brain's been stuck in scratchbuilding mode since I found the kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,331 Posts
beeblebrox said:
I will probably only do the rooms that I will light up, mother's room and the entry hall (upper and lower). The others can be vague gray shapes and doorways.
Don't forget the pizza box in the trashcan outside by the curb! What was that commercial for? DiGerno's, I think?

"No Mother, it's not delivery. It's DiGernos!"
 

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
Joined
·
4,124 Posts
Mitch,

I can't seem to find the Alfred Hitchcock one on their website. Is this one still available? Very cool stuff!

MMM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
905 Posts
No the car doesn't drive around it. Originally it was suppose to but they changed the design, maybe to much work. But the car is available sepearate with another house. There will be three total plus each house comes with one of the charactors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,741 Posts
MonsterModelMan said:
Mitch,

I can't seem to find the Alfred Hitchcock one on their website. Is this one still available? Very cool stuff!

MMM
I got it from the Sunday paper flyer. I sent in the coupon! I'm building up
quite a Halloween village!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Wow-- they really butchered the look of the Bates mansion! I understand the compromises they made for the motel, but the house is way off. Looks like the sculpter went from memory instead of looking at a picture of he actual house.

Mark
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Top