Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok at our LHS rules for the carpet oval track in Spec Class is 4 Cell and a Trinity Spec Motor. However the following mods are allowed
1. Any Brushes You Want to Use
2. Any Spring You Want To Use
3. The motor can be trued on a lathe
4. If the Timing is not set to 12 degrees you can set it to 12 degrees.

Thats Track rules nothing else can be done. With that being said the LHS manager rebuilt a new spec motor for me about a month ago He said the timing was off and adjusted to 12 degrees. Howeverwith the same gearing in the same car I have swaped for my old motor and it seems a little faster. What gives its bare stock no mods. I hate to waste $30 extra for a build that showed no improvement from the old motor. Also I never was told what bruses were used nor springs.

I have another car I am building and bought a motor with the above rules what bruses and springs would you use for best performance. Is there really much difference. I am not looking to do timing or any motor lathe work since I do not have a lathe just brushes and springs if it is even worth it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
4383 or f-brushes or litespeed 4000, as for springs red and purple or red and silver. Timing is very important on these motor. I had to swap out an arm and the new one was a little retarded ,it hurt the motor like 5 watts of power and 750 rpm. I am wondering how yall check the timing, all arms are supposed to be set on zero the can dictates timing, swaping endbells can help timing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When he worked my last motor over he used some timimng jig then dremeled the timing tab recess on the can and rotated it 12 degrees. Is there any good place I can get an education about fixing and working these motors. I just bough a Black Book off this board not sure if it will help.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
gunlocators said:
When he worked my last motor over he used some timimng jig then dremeled the timing tab recess on the can and rotated it 12 degrees. Is there any good place I can get an education about fixing and working these motors. I just bough a Black Book off this board not sure if it will help.
Generally,if you cut the timing tab the spec motors are deemed illegal,that's why it's called spec.The black book will only give you a very basic knowledge of these motors,you will need a lathe or at least good access to one,I would buy a used one over on the swap and sell section as there are a lot of guys going to brushless and getting rid of their's.Most (90%) of your speed is going to come from your set up.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Your track would be better off the leave the Spec motor timing alone !

Someone is thinking overtime if they convince everyone that the timing tabs need to be trimmed ????

Yes , there's going to be a slight variance in motors,,,, but not enough that it can't be made up in brush's and springs.

We ,, " as a track " have 25 Trinity Spec motors that the racers own , all set up with 4383's and red springs , labeled 1-25 .

After race night " ALL '' motors go into a random pool and the next week you draw the motor your going to race. Its worked out great , we ran them for 24 weeks and never had a driver complain about having a bad one.
My son ran this class and his car was just as quick with any of them.

We're going to rebuild them all over the summer and for a marginal $10.00 fee to the racers, we'll have 25 fresh motors to start over.

EVERYBODY HAS A DIFFERENT ANGLE , BUT THATS OUR SUCCESS STORY :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts