Hobbyist Forums banner

Should we reshuffle after every round ???

• Shuffle after every round

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Shuffle after the 2nd round only

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Don't shuffle at all

Votes: 2 11.1%
241 - 260 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got off the phone with Novak customer service. According to the guy on the phone, ROAR has approved rules for a brushless class for club and event racing. The Novak guy said ROAR will be posting them to their website in the next few weeks.

He described the rules as basically setting up a complete class, like any other. I don't know what the rules will be regarding what chassis allow them, etc.. I guess this will be interesting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jarrod Li said:
...the new Barrerc.com site should be up and running in a couple weeks along with a new forum just for us. There won't be anymore getting burried in the rest of hobbytalk. The url won't change so just keep checking it. So far there is a forum for "general chat" and one for each of the classes we run as well as a limited access forum for the track officials.
Jay, This sounds awesome! :thumbsup:

More than awesome!
FANTASTIC!!! :tongue:

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I was asking what tire compounds......aka Tire compound......aka green, white, pink, grey????? Once Paragon has been run I assure you the smell will never leave! Guaranteed! Been there done that many times before... The other softeners will keep bringing up the smell every time they are used. That stuff is soaked in the carpet.....just try to stand where the majority of cars burn off.......watch it you may fall it is so slippery! The paragon free is just that......free of TRACTION:) Jack is not bad.....time will tell.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Brain, thanks for the tire info. I had been wondering about them too.

I am sorry I could not make it up to the track this week. I had a very hard week at work. Up all night thursday. Slept through racing Fri night. I am going up there today to do a few chores.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am new to the oval racing scene and am interested in going to Barre,
I live up in Burlington so it's not too bad a drive...
I am buying a used car soon and was going to try to make it down there to see how good/bad I am, what time do the doors open on Friday,
Also, what should I bring besides my car, tools, and a couple battery packs?
Thanks in advance,
Bobby

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sgiteam,
You really shouldn't need much more than that. You'll obviously need a charger (and possibly a power supply depending on your charger). If you have extra crystals for your radio/receiver you might want to bring those as well just in case you wind up with a conflict in a heat/race.

It's $10 to race and we do have a limited supply of parts so you might want to bring some extra $$ in case there's anything you wind up wanting or needing. If you want, bring some change as we do have a soda machine and candy machine. We also have a change machine if you just bring ones.

Other than that the website www.barrerc.com pretty much sums it up. We should have a new website up and running in a week or so so keep your eyes open.

The track should be open by 5p at the latest depending on who gets there first.

Look forward to seeing you there,
Jay

·
Registered
7 Posts
?

Should I get a discharger as well?
I am definately going to try to make it down there Friday, I am very interested
If I can't get my car going in time, do you still offer rentals, and what do they consist of?
Thanks,
Bobby

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bobby,
Friday nites we run 2 heats and a main, so you'll need 3 packs or the ability to recharge.

Your best bet might be to post exactly what you have now and we can then tell you what else you might need.

As far as rentals go I believe they are only for the (Bolink) Legends class.

Jay

·
Registered
7 Posts
I get out of work at 5, so I will have to boogy down if I want to have time to practice...
If I don't make it down this week, I will definately make it down there next week...
Bobby

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will let you know tomorrow (Tues.) exactly what I have, that's when the car I'm buying will arrive...
I am buying it from a friend's friend, so we'll see what I have to start with...
It's supposed to be a rc10l3o with electronics, minus battery packs...
I'll need a body and some batts.
Maybe I'll be able to talk him down a little and get the batts tomorrow as well
Bobby

·
Registered
19 Posts
rc10l3o is a great car.

Have you considered trying a brushless motor? They are not legal at our track yet, but ROAR has approved them. They save money on batteries and time spent rebuilding motors.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dan is our official spokesperson on brushless motors.
Have you considered trying a brushless motor?
Thats usually the first thing out of his mouth when he meets a new guy. Don't give up Dan, eventually you will convince someone to go brushless with you!:thumbsup:

Brian

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thats usually the first thing out of his mouth when he meets a new guy.
Check out the avatar I made for him for our new forum....hoping to warn some ppl beforehand...

Just kidding about the warning Dan. :wave:

Jay

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love BARRE RC and everyone there. Club is being awesome letting me race with a totally illegal car, just to have fun. I really appreciate this.

In time, I will race a legal ride. When brushless motors are legal. :jest:

I need to get the right kind of car too. This is serious.

I am running a 12th scale pan car with 3 shocks against 10th scale modified SK cars with stock motors and rubber bands for shocks. My ride is killing them, at least for now, because they have slow stock motors (in modified cars) and awkward suspension. I fear other drivers in SK class will feel cheated if I keep spanking them. I would rather run with the 4 cell Stock 10th scale class. Would be a fairer race. I think I will have to dial out the end point on the hi end of the throttle, to have my power level be about where stock motors are (I am thinking just a little extra juice for me, to compensate for my smaller car and poorer driving skills). :jest:

But on the topic of brushless motors, the fine members of the Barretown RC, the greatest RC club in Vermont, maybe even the world (really!), are having trouble accepting that the old motor style is less economical and effective as brushless motors. :hat:

My friends in the club keep pouring out resistance to brushless motors on grounds such as cost and legality of the motors. I think they are cheaper.

Here are brushless motor rules posted for national ROAR event.

http://rcdirttrack.com/modnats/brushless.htm

The next issue of the ROAR mag, whatever it is called, will carry an announcement regarding the legality of the motors.

If you have questions, you can call Novak Tech support and get a lot of inside info. Their number is on their website: www.teamnovak.com

I know I am flaming, and I appreciate your still letting me race with you when I am such a creep about brushless motors etc..

·
Registered
19 Posts
SK Stock Motor Modified Cars

I heard speculation that the SK class was started as a fund raiser for the club. I am just curious of the reason for starting the new class. I must not have listened too well in one of the driver meetings.

:freak:

I have visions of an open racing class at Barretown Speedway, allowing any pan car (10th , 12th, 14th, 18th, 8th, I don't care scale) with Nascar bodies.

Nascar bodies' better protection for our expensive cars and electronics is my reason for preferring NASCAR bodies over open-wheeled.

ROAR-legal motors, including modified and brushless.

Could require weight be within a certain range (say 20 oz. - 52 oz). These weights correspond to legal weights for 14th scale at the low end to 4wd sedans at the high end. I am thinking high weight allowance would encourage drivers to run varying numbers of batteries. I think that would make it fun. (I think less is more, for weight advantage reasons).

I don't understand the issue about limiting hop up costs.... I mean, purple body posts don't improve lap times, so who cares what people spend on their cars?

The biggest expenses to be competitive are:
BATTERIES
TIRES
ELECTRONICS

Yet, we limit none of those in stock. How do we think we are saving money by staying stock? I really don't see this.

When I competed in stock racing, I felt the most important thing was
BATTERIES and SMOOTH DRIVING. I found that to be competitive, I had to hunt for batteries, and they cost a lot. I felt the smooth driving was not too hard, and I knew I could go faster if I had more horsepower.

If we open the motors up to modified motors, batteries are removed from the competition, because old or cheap batteries provide more power than anyone can put to the track without losing control. The only exceptions would be pro drivers, who need max power batteries PLUS modified motors for their racing. I don't think we are at that level.

Tires are $30 - $50/set whether you run stock or mod. Costs add up a lot in
this area, but we don't have limits here.

We already invested $200/car in the SK state of the art graphic chassis dogmeat suspension kits. For $230, you can buy a new Associated L4 with all the blue stuff plus the graphite and perfect suspension, including 3 blue threaded shocks, all the best bearings available, best front end available..... what else can you buy to speed up your car? OK, I guess we saved $30 dollars a car but they are kinda lame, at least IMHO.

I really am confused by this situation... I hope I am not stepping in dog doo talking about it. Look forward to seeing answers.

Thanks. You guys are the best, and I do love you all. :dude:

·
Registered
19 Posts

I have to wait for the new message board to deploy the avatar. I might have to come up with a new one of my down the line.

In the meantime, I picked one available on this message board.

Jay, I am looking forward to running that Avatar

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well with any luck the new site and forum should be up next week sometime. We just keep getting delayed by sales presentations and other misc. requests from existing customers.

Jay

241 - 260 of 282 Posts