Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's as if I'm tempted to say "whatever!" on this product.

"Do not allow to start wrinkling, if a wrinkle develops, lift up and re-adhere"

IF a wrinkle develops? I must grin at them as they say this.

I persist in the usage of product and achieve some satisfaction from it in a vague way but I'm never wholly into it.

But enough about me, what about you?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, that's all I really need is examples of good application that reassure me that the stuff is worth pursuing. I was doing a knife blade for a pirate skull bust and I just could not get it to "Do the Right Thing". I'm going to make an attempt with it on one of my Silver Surfer models, yet I fear for seams etc.

Basically I'm just full of fear that nothing is ever going to work out.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,220 Posts
I don't know about the surfer. The stuff will be a bitch on all those round curves. There's a limit to how spherical you can make it. Note that on the cowl of Big Squaw, I had to overlap 1/4" "leaves" of it to fit the curve.

A knife blade should be no prob, though.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I use a Q-tip to rub the foil into place. it doesn't really leave any marks either. I did the wide stripe on my Spindrift with it, and also used it for the copper details on a LM Robby. I used it extensivly on a 1/32 Hughes Racer, and a P-38 and DC-3. I have also covered 11 HO scale Passenger cars but they had little or no details to wrap around except the window frames.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah the Bare Metal Foil gauntlet thrown vis-a-vis Surfer! I shall rise to the challenge, may adapt in some way (i.e. flat piece applications only, bordered by painted areas - silver chrome, white and blue? I also want to try a "Comic Book" version a la Wonderfest entrees (rojas) which would involve no foil at all but duplication of coloring and inking scheme from the funny books.

·
Starship Class
11,820 Posts
No way in the world would I use it to cover a human figure but I've had good luck with it otherwise in limited use. It covers and joins well. I polish out the wrinkles with Q-tip. It's perfect for canopy frames.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts