Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Okay, I got a question:
I took one of the seated kit figures & sanded off the arms & added new arms made from rejected side piping to simulate 3PO's elbows, and a dude at RPF said he couldn't just do that & paint it gold- he'd get a 1:144 3PO from Shapeways or something, and I'm like, really? Dude, he's in THE BACK. You won't really even see him except as a blob of colour through the thick clear styrene windows... it's as model of the SHIP, not the characters in the cockpit IMO. At 1:72, yeah, it matters more, but here?
Am I being a bad OCD modeler?

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Endgame: last bits before painting & final assembly & weathering- filling in unused holes, simplifying the sidewalls just a tad, and adding greebles here & there (mainly on the docking rings which were for reasons unknown very clear except for the panel lines). Final sanding to finesse new greebles tomorrow after glue sets.

IMG_20210327_221909.jpg

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I began painting the cockpit & gunner bays today, and then put the windows over them after the base coat & I was like "I can't see a thing in this helmet!" Saved myself a little work as I'll really just paint the white bar lights & the red, white & blue console & wall lights. No need to go trying to be cool with the different black & gray walls and stuff- I'll never see any real work I do in there. And it boggles my mind- someone makes an accurized 3D printed cockpit for this kit, LOL!!!

IMG_20210329_174246.jpg

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I thought the same thing, then decided not to use the windows, they give you a windowless frame for the cockpit but I had to 3D print empty frames for the gunner bays. Not that it matters all that much, the cockpit you can see some of but the gunner bays are so small and recessed behind the guns that even shining a flashlight in there you don't see much. Thought about getting another one and trying to light it now that I have a better setup for painting than I did when I built mine, maybe someday.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Not a whole lot new as I wait for the clear styrene to be delivered on Monday, but I did take time today to 'weed' out an additional (roughly) 15% of the too-dense sidewall greebles (on top of not adding almost ANY of the piping provided by the the kit). It's still a little busy, but more acceptable now, I think.

Quote Reply

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Okay, I guess I've decided to go total old school & leave out the 'glass' in the cockpit windows just like in the filming miniatures. Which means, for consistency's sake, that I have to carve out the gunner windows. Oh... fun... ;)

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
You might want to have a talk with your project manager.....Oh! Wait!

Reactions: Chrisisall
21 - 40 of 53 Posts