Hobbyist Forums banner

1061 - 1080 of 1290 Posts

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
By the way, I'm truly surprised that Bandai didn't announce a 1/72 scaled U-Wing.
Yep, me too. It could be that the Rogue One TIE variation didn't sell well (as it pretty much got shoved into the background compared to the impression pre- release of the movie) or who knows what.

It's an interesting, if a bit odd (design logic-wise) vehicle. It's visually more interesting then Kylo Ren's goofy shuttle.

Still, anything is possible. We just can't count on Bluefin to tell us. :)

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Good Lord that BB-8 is insane.

But I have to hand it to Bandai. They found a really clever way to work this otherwise improbable droid.

The idea is that the head 'floats' on the body, which then rolls around and presents whatever 'face' has the necessary tool or appendage. I think the usual idea would be put a really powerful magnet in the head and a matching one attached to a pendulum arm inside the body suspended on a 360 degree pivot. Problem with THAT is, there's no room to store things inside because you need all the internal volume for that counterbalancing pendulum.

So OK, what Bandai did was look at the repeating patterns on the body, looked at how things are grouped and placed, and came up with a replacement section that fits in between the 'appendage' segments, with a peg for the head. So, you turn the body to expose whichever segment you want to showcase, pop out the connecting segment panel, snap on the head peg panel and there ya go.

Terrible for action, perfect for static display. That's just some amazing engineering.

It doesn't make me like the goofy cue-ball any better, but I am impressed with the model. :)

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Hm. Looks pretty close to a survey they ran in the '90s about anime and 2000 about Gunpla.

Thing I don't like is there's no wiggle room, the choices are fairly limiting. There's only the last few questions that give some latitude.

Still, the Shizuoka Hobby Show is in the next couple of days, we'll see what shows up then, right? :)

(really not making any guesses except maybe they're going to release a Princess Leia figure kit. Call that one a hunch.)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hm. Looks pretty close to a survey they ran in the '90s about anime and 2000 about Gunpla.

Thing I don't like is there's no wiggle room, the choices are fairly limiting. There's only the last few questions that give some latitude.

Still, the Shizuoka Hobby Show is in the next couple of days, we'll see what shows up then, right? :)

(really not making any guesses except maybe they're going to release a Princess Leia figure kit. Call that one a hunch.)
Yep, we have a 'spy' at the Shizuoka show. They are setting up today, no sign yet of anything new.

As far as the survey goes, go 1/48 scale or go home!

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
This survey was linked over at the RPF:

https://analytics.bnfes.jp/enquete/pc/swc_hobby2017/index.php?q=e

I cannot verify it's validity, but have taken it, and it doesn't ask for personal information.
I participated as well, but I'd bet it won't be different from any other "survey" we've taken in recent years. Bandai will look at the results, consider the most numerous suggestions, then go ahead and do whatever they were planning to do before that survey ever existed.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Nothing we haven't already heard of, but here are pics from the show:

[????] 2017?5?11?~14?: ??HOBBY SHOW 2017 ? BANDAI??: ?? Non-Gundam Products | TAGhobby.com
Have to say, feeling a bit let down here. I really thought that with it being May and all (used to be the Star Wars month) and the 40th Anniversary of Star Wars (which I'd think was a big deal) there would be some more announcements. OTOH, the trade show isn't over yet, they may be some 'retailer only' displays that will get leaked, but yeah, so far, underwhelmed.

It's strange. It's like Bandai all of a sudden forgot how to impress a market with lots of announcements. The news so far for Yamato 2202 is even more lackluster.

Yet there's been some real pleasing surprises for unexpected new kits (super niche for our brothers here I'm sure), and again, the show isn't over yet.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
I find that oddly pleasing news. I think we can expect a 1/72 and 1/144 A-Wing set not too far down the road as this seems to be a pattern.

While we wait for a 1/72 Falcon we can at least start building a 1/144 (supposedly) hanger bay diorama. :)

Welp. Just need that 1/72 B-Wing, hah?

I wonder if some of the bigger announcements will happen at that upcoming Tokyo Toy Show.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I find that oddly pleasing news. I think we can expect a 1/72 and 1/144 A-Wing set not too far down the road as this seems to be a pattern.

While we wait for a 1/72 Falcon we can at least start building a 1/144 (supposedly) hanger bay diorama. :)

Welp. Just need that 1/72 B-Wing, hah?

I wonder if some of the bigger announcements will happen at that upcoming Tokyo Toy Show.
From our 'spy' at the Shizuoka show:

It was a great Shizuoka show this year! I haven't seen the numbers yet, but it seemed like waaay more people than last year. So busy I hardly had a chance to leave our booth. We also had a lot of our partners visiting this year (Takom, Meng, Kinetic/Skunkmodels Workshop, ModelCollect, Flyhawk, Kajika, Rye Field Models, Revosys, Wolfpack-Design, Pontos...anyone I forgot? Whew!), so we had a blast showing them the show and talking business. A great four days.

I did have time to visit the Bandai booth and give them the usual earful: Bigger ISD, B-Wing, 1/48 Y-Wing, Blockade Runner, bigger AT-AT, TIE Bomber, 1/72 Falcon...all the things we all want. All the while praising them for the great releases we've gotten so far.

I also had a chance to talk to Seiji Takahashi (Bandai SW consultant), and although he couldn't say anything specific, he did say to keep an eye out for a VERY big announcement at the Tokyo Toy Show in June.

EVENT OUTLINE?INTERNATIONAL TOKYO TOY SHOW 2017

WHAT CAN IT BE?!?!?!

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHA no I am not that spy :)

Just fairly good at 'reading' things based on history, personal observations, and recalling context.

So, we'll see! Myself, I'm happy to see that they're keeping kits in production and not taking 6 months or a year off before re-pressing. (for inventory reasons of course) It seems there's a steady demand for the kits and that's good.

1061 - 1080 of 1290 Posts