Hobbyist Forums banner

1041 - 1060 of 1290 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
From the phrasing I can't help but believe it's the Star Destroyer.

I'm pleased to hear they're going to be doing surveys, that's a big thing in Japan and Bandai has been known to pay attention to them.
I think that is the display item as well but not necessarily the new kit. :surprise:

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
I think that is the display item as well but not necessarily the new kit. :surprise:
I agree. One thing I've seen over the past few years of Bluefin stumbling around and having problems actually understanding what American fans want vs. what they will pay for (I recall a huge promotional effort telling people they were going to import Bandai's 'Soul of Chogokin' robot toy line under the old Bandai America 'Godaikin' branding and bump the price vs. Japan retail up 50%. Died a screaming death of disinterest), they can't figure out that if something is announced in Japan, the blessing/curse of the internet zaps that info to the world in mere seconds.

If the kit announcements are the Snowspeeder/AT-ST and Jedi Starfighter Vehicle Models kits and the Snowspeeder 2-pack, everyone will shout "we knew about that, what NEW stuff is coming?" :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
I agree. One thing I've seen over the past few years of Bluefin stumbling around and having problems actually understanding what American fans want vs. what they will pay for (I recall a huge promotional effort telling people they were going to import Bandai's 'Soul of Chogokin' robot toy line under the old Bandai America 'Godaikin' branding and bump the price vs. Japan retail up 50%. Died a screaming death of disinterest), they can't figure out that if something is announced in Japan, the blessing/curse of the internet zaps that info to the world in mere seconds.

If the kit announcements are the Snowspeeder/AT-ST and Jedi Starfighter Vehicle Models kits and the Snowspeeder 2-pack, everyone will shout "we knew about that, what NEW stuff is coming?" :)
I think the good news on that front is, Derringer is a lurker and occasional poster on The RPF, so he knows what we know.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
I think the good news on that front is, Derringer is a lurker and occasional poster on The RPF, so he knows what we know.
Yes, but he has to work upstream. I'm still untangling the threads but I have a belief that Bluefin is what used to be Uchino International, an exporter in Japan that operated Pony Toy-Go-Round who grew to opening a chain of 'mini malls' called Yaohan plaza, which was then bought up by a Hong Kong concern and changed to Mitsuwa (after the Japanese supermarket chain that is the anchor store). Uchino/Pony Toy was Bandai's 'gray market' importer up until the mid '80s when they started Bandai America.

Much of what Bluefin is doing now is 100% copied from what Uchino/Pony Toy was doing circa 1982-1984. It was successful up until the Yen Adjustment of 1985 when it all went into the crapper. They struggled on until the 1992 plummet of the Dollar against the Yen and soon after they vanished from sight in the USA.

We won't discuss Bandai's abysmal attempt to bring Gundam kits to America circa 1999-2001, other than to note they were copying Uchino/Pony Toys playbook from the early '90s.

(one of the things I'm working on is trying to track proof that Uchino International was key in Mattel working with Bandai and the creation of the Shogun Warriors toy line, as well as an importer named Marukai and the Jim Terry Force Five cartoon syndication package but that's not of interest to many :) )

So, the guy may know stuff but if he's working under the Japanese system he can't do a darn thing about it. :)

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
That is excellent news! Great to see that large Star Destroyer back and not vapor-ware...
Well, a display model can't be vaporware because it physically exists. :)

What the question is, and this can qualify as vaporware, is if they're going to move forward with manufacturing a commercial retail version of same.

I really like how they have it set up, that stand looks like what I would expect the kit to look like.

I can't tell, are those bolts holding the stand in place or LED spotlights?

I know it's early, has there been any tease on what the 'new announce' kit might be?

·
Registered
589 Posts

What the question is, and this can qualify as vaporware, is if they're going to move forward with manufacturing a commercial retail version of same.

I really like how they have it set up, that stand looks like what I would expect the kit to look like.

I can't tell, are those bolts holding the stand in place or LED spotlights?

I know it's early, has there been any tease on what the 'new announce' kit might be?
Bluefin Press Release:

Bluefin Showcases New Releases & Collectibles At Star Wars Celebration

In addition, on Friday, April 14th Lucasfilm’s Brian Merten joins Bandai Hobby and Tamashii Nations will tease and reveal new announcements on upcoming products not on display in the booth as part of the Star Wars Collectibles Update. An art gallery featuring both Bandai Hobby and Tamashii Nations Star Wars product in eye-catching dynamic scenes will be on display also within the booth.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sadly a big "YAWN" from Bandai yet again. I think their steam has run out.....

At least Revell was there taking deposits on their Zvezda Star Destroyer rebox. Due out May 15th at $100. I know who is getting my money this summer....

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Sadly a big "YAWN" from Bandai yet again. I think their steam has run out.....

At least Revell was there taking deposits on their Zvezda Star Destroyer rebox. Due out May 15th at $100. I know who is getting my money this summer....
Did Bandai have their panel yet with the reveals?

I think that's great news about the Zvezda Star Destroyer, that seems a surprisingly reasonable price given how they raped people with the Fine Molds repops.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Did Bandai have their panel yet with the reveals?

I think that's great news about the Zvezda Star Destroyer, that seems a surprisingly reasonable price given how they raped people with the Fine Molds repops.
We are waiting to hear from anyone who was there.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Darth Saber over at The RPF posted this:

Just got back from Celebration.
Stopped by the Bluefin booth and went crazy and bought an AT-AT, AT-ST, snow speeder, A wing fighter and Poes X wing.

I snapped some photos but its nothing that hasnt been posted already.
Ill upload some if you guys still want to see.

I did get a bit of of information regarding the Falcon.
I asked if Bandai would be offering an ANH version and the guy said yes and that Bandai is working on it.
I asked him if it would be the same scale as the TFA falcon and he just paused and laughed and said he cant really divulge that info now.
Make of it what you will.
If this picture set is complete, Bandai/Bluefin didn't give away anything at the collectibles panel either:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/15/98-pictures-collectors-update-panel-star-wars-celebration/

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
See, see, there's exactly what I was saying. What harm comes from being able to say "Yes, we've got a 1/144 ANH (I just call it Star Wars :) ) in the works."? Would Bandai suddenly lose points on the stock market if that info was released? Would some over-the-hill salaryman comfortable in his "I don't really work I just get paid" office suddenly lose his job? Would the nightly after work hours trip to the hostess bar get cancelled or worse yet, they'd have to move to a karaoke bar?

I can see a desire to avoid creating unreasonable expectations. My dream kit would be designed in such a way as you could build either the ANH or ESB versions of the Falcon, and whatever minor details changed between the 'big' and 'smaller' filming miniatures. There may be Disney/Lucasfilm reasons why they couldn't offer such a kit, they may want to increase the R.O.I. of much of the tooling by offering the two versions as individual releases. I dunno, but man, that foolish secrecy.

Mind, a 1/72 ANH Falcon would be pleasing in and of itself... :)

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Beautiful little gems. I'm somewhat surprised that the Snowspeeder doesn't have separate steering flaps but as they'd be smaller than a pinky nail I guess it's OK. I can see PE replacement flaps could be a thing. I AM impressed that with some modifications it looks like one could put a cockpit interior in the 'speeder. Doesn't look like that's a potential option for the AT-ST however.

I predict some clever Japanese builder will make the AT-ST fully articulated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, I know as soon as I wrote "vaporware" that it wasn't correct but I was too lazy to fix it... :wink2:

I have the Anigrand SD, along with some 3D printed updates and I STILL want a Bandai large scale SD. I really hope it gets produced and sold.*

1041 - 1060 of 1290 Posts