Hobbyist Forums banner

1021 - 1040 of 1290 Posts

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Good GRIEF look at the detail on that Snowspeeder!

You know, Jaws62666 asks a valid and interesting question. See, I think we've all assumed that the mini X-Wing in the 2-pack X-Wing set is the same kit as the previously released Vehicle Model kit. It's a logical assumption because it's a 'plus up' re-release and using existing tooling just makes sense in terms of R.O.I., right?

But has anyone actually compared the two? Wouldn't it be strange if Bandai actually has 3 scales of X-Wing out there, 1/72, 1/144 and the 'box scale' Vehicle Model one?

I mean, it's probably not the case, it doesn't make any sense but hey, you never know.

Still, if the VM Snowspeeder is actually something like 1/140 or 1/148 scale, it'll still work just fine with the 1/144 AT-AT. :)

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Third time I've 'said' it, but if the shoe fits:

AT-AT fans, prepare to have your mind blown...

????1?144?AT-AT
Oh, man...

Look at that beautiful thing. It looks to me they've even reproduced the small setscrew points that 'locked' the movement during stop-motion animating. THAT'S obsessive detail!

And I see aftermarket potential. The ladder rungs on the sides, the shields on the secondary guns, maybe cockpit interior (and lighting for same).

The one thing I'm a little sad about is pretty stupid. I'm sorry to see that making an silhouette of a standing figure instead of a fully sculpted figure seems to be standard now. I can't understand why they do that unless it's some REALLY finicky licensing thing. OTOH, it is nice that at least that is included because it's a really good way to show scale in a display.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
That is quite frankly incredible. More money out of my bank account for sure.

Now if only they could do a Blockage Runner in the same scale and level of detail...
A 1/144 scale Blockade Runner would be a fairly sizable kit, right? Larger than a 1/144 Falcon for sure.

It's not impossible. It's just a question if Bandai has the nerve. A smaller scale (that is, smaller than 1/144 but larger than a 'box scale' Vehicle Model kit) would be more likely but there the guiding principle would be "what other ships can we make in this scale?".

I *suspect* what may happen is that Bandai will finally release their large Star Destroyer and that will be used as a gauge of interest in doing other large capital ships. It's not really a fair test as they'd sell many more Star Destroyers than, say, Medical Frigates but that's beancounter mentality going on there. :)

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Dengeki is featuring a nice build-up of the AT-AT:

???????????1/144 AT-AT?????????!! | ????????

*snip*
Thank you as always! :)

Now see, this, THIS is what's so cool about what Bandai is doing. I'm not one to go all deep diving when it comes to 'spot the model kit parts' stuff, I only really notice the most obvious ones like the engine parts from the 1/24 scale Airfix Harrier on the AT-AT, but there's a picture with the...hips? Pelvic mechanism? whatever removed and dang, the central core of the AT-AT was Saturn V booster halves?! Well heck fire!

I'm sure there are experts here who have known that for decades. Good for you. The impressive thing is that Bandai didn't just sluff that off as 'who cares, nobody will see that when its built, why bother?" and saved themselves some time and money in the design and tooling. They went for it.

Man. That's really something.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Derringer, a Bluefin employee, posted this at the RPF:

There will be some press releases in a few days concerning Star Wars Celebration. Bluefin has been authorized by Bandai to display a very large model kit prototype that very few in the U.S. have seen up close since I believe 2014 or 2015 from Japan. In addition to products being sold and on display, there will be raffles and surveys that will be used for feedback for the future upcoming releases. Also I think....there may be a hint for the upcoming release of

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Derringer, a Bluefin employee, posted this at the RPF: quote There will be some press releases in a few days concerning Star Wars Celebration. Bluefin has been authorized by Bandai to display a very large model kit prototype that very few in the U.S. have seen up close since I believe 2014 or 2015 from Japan. In addition to products being sold and on display, there will be raffles and surveys that will be used for feedback for the future upcoming releases. Also I think....there may be a hint for the upcoming release of
From the phrasing I can't help but believe it's the Star Destroyer.

I'm pleased to hear they're going to be doing surveys, that's a big thing in Japan and Bandai has been known to pay attention to them.

1021 - 1040 of 1290 Posts